Spiritual Laziness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiritual Laziness

I am so easily distracted and spiritually lazy like you wouldn't believe. I always want to study, research, meditate, 'pray', etc when I am at work or something like that. As soon as I actually have time at home I either forget, don't much feel like it or get distracted.

How do you overcome spiritual laziness? What are the little things you incorporate into your day to encourage spiritual growth and practice?
    There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
    William Wordsworth

Re: Spiritual Laziness

I start using time I am doing nothing to do something spiritual. Praying before I eat, praying where I would just be vegging out, reading the Bible and praying before I sleep, etc.

Its finding time and making a habit of making use of it. If it helps, add something in that you have to do after doing whatever spiritual task you're doing (such as taking some notes in a journal). Its getting going that's the annoying part definitely...
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
      I start using time I am doing nothing to do something spiritual. Praying before I eat, praying where I would just be vegging out, reading the Bible and praying before I sleep, etc.

Its finding time and making a habit of making use of it. If it helps, add something in that you have to do after doing whatever spiritual task you're doing (such as taking some notes in a journal). Its getting going that's the annoying part definitely...
      Thanks for the advice. My spiritual communication with deity is pretty limited, mostly because I don't want to bother them that much. But I guess I could ponder?
      There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

William Wordsworth

Comment

I found it helpful to work in devotional things during day to day things that I have to do anyway. As was mentioned, praying before a meal is a good example, since eating is something you'd have to do anyway. Personally, I do a devotional ritual at my kitchen shrine while cooking dinner each evening. I know some people who do something like a purification ritual during their daily shower. If you do something like walk daily, use that time for spiritual reflection. Little things like that. Having something like an altar or shine that you see daily might also help keep you motivated (out of site, out of mind, you know?), or even something like a piece of jewelry to act as a reminder to take a few minutes sometimes.
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I'm also spiritually lazy. That's why I joined the forum, to help me think if ways to incorporate my practise into everyday life, and also as a means of study.
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
            I'm also spiritually lazy. That's why I joined the forum, to help me think if ways to incorporate my practise into everyday life, and also as a means of study.
            Have you found much so far that has helped?

William Wordsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
              I found it helpful to work in devotional things during day to day things that I have to do anyway. As was mentioned, praying before a meal is a good example, since eating is something you'd have to do anyway. Personally, I do a devotional ritual at my kitchen shrine while cooking dinner each evening. I know some people who do something like a purification ritual during their daily shower. If you do something like walk daily, use that time for spiritual reflection. Little things like that. Having something like an altar or shine that you see daily might also help keep you motivated (out of site, out of mind, you know?), or even something like a piece of jewelry to act as a reminder to take a few minutes sometimes.
              the jewelery is actually a really good suggestion! I've found wearing a crucifix helps me a lot in my day to day life. Whatever religious symbol is important to you, consider wearing one if you can . See if that helps. I know however it can be less easy for non-Christians to do that, but its a thought.
              hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

I find that it helps to have set times to devote to spiritual activities. For instance, I always plan to meditate after I wake up and before I go to bed for about 15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post
                  Have you found much so far that has helped?
                  At the moment I'm trying to workout exactly *what* I want to practise and how I define my beliefs. Currently I'm following Juni's advice to list out everything I do believe. I'm working with three columns at the moment:

believe...........don't believe..........but

its been useful in actually making definitions and has opened up a lot of dialogue with my husband (who's Christian). I've learnt quite a few things I want to learn more about, like heathery and hedgewitchery. Now that's its holidays I'm going through each topic, one at a time, and reading every thread that catches my eye. It's a slow process, but I'm enjoying it.

Once I know more what I believe (my list isn't done) ill know better what and how I want to practise.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                  the jewelery is actually a really good suggestion! I've found wearing a crucifix helps me a lot in my day to day life. Whatever religious symbol is important to you, consider wearing one if you can . See if that helps. I know however it can be less easy for non-Christians to do that, but its a thought.
                  i wear my pentacle too.

- - - Updated - - -

And eventually plan to get it tattood on my wrist as a constant reminder.
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

This might sound crazy, but if you are thinking about it at work why not do something right then? I get that you might not be able to do a twenty minute trance journey, but you may be able to journal, meditate, or sneak in something spiritual. Follow your instincts and do it when it feels right for you.

Comment

Yeah I'm gonna take the heathen standpoint, which is pretty blunt.

To overcome laziness, just get up, and do what your thinking about doing. It will make you feel better when your done.
                      White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                      sigpic
                      In Days of yore,
                      From Britain's shore
                      Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                      And planted firm Britannia's flag
                      On Canada's fair domain.
                      Here may it wave,
                      Our boast, our pride
                      And joined in love together,
                      The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix LeFae View Post
                        This might sound crazy, but if you are thinking about it at work why not do something right then? I get that you might not be able to do a twenty minute trance journey, but you may be able to journal, meditate, or sneak in something spiritual. Follow your instincts and do it when it feels right for you.
                        Lol I usually end up researching in little bits. Maybe I should start carrying my oracle cards with me or something. I dunno. Just little tid bits. The cards told me to just pay attention lol.

William Wordsworth

Comment

Comment

One of the greatest things I've learned in my time as a Pagan is that you don't have to 'set aside' time, or make a special place in order to be spiritual.

Washing dishes? That water is sacred. Think of how long it's been on earth, where it's been, who and what has touched it. Every shower I take is a cleansing ritual, a way to clear away all the gunk I've accumulated, both physically and emotionally. It all gets rinsed down the drain, leaving me pure and refreshed.

The food you're eating? That's sacred, too. Where did it come from? How many hands have helped bring it to your table? Do you say any kind of prayer of thanks when you eat? Why not? What's stopping you from acknowledging all the hard work that went into it?

The hands you used to cook or prepare your food? Those are sacred! What have they touched, and thereby rendered sacred?

Got any pets or houseplants? Those creatures are sacred. Bless their spirits and give them thanks for sharing their lives with you.

Just looking up into the night sky before I get to work (I work graveyards, so you can substitute the sun if you're a daylurker - and Luna is my patron), I blow a kiss to the Moon and ask Her to watch over me and mine. I say thanks to Her for shedding Her glow over us on earth, and keeping watch over those who sleep and night-owls alike.

Everything around you and you yourself is sacred and spiritual - you just have to open your mind a little.
                            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

It is possible to pray or meditate any time, even washing dishes. There are various forms of meditation or prayer that can be combined with mundane tasks. I'd find what works best for you. Add little devotions, short ones, that you perform daily or nearly so. Eventually it will get easier, and your practice will develop.

Comment

Working...
                              X