The Eclectic Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Eclectic Map

Hello again, everyone. This is my second post. I posted a little about my path in my introduction.

I find myself in an interesting theological position. My heart is panentheist and has been for I don't know how long. I was not raised by my parents within a particular religious tradition, just bits and pieces my mom told me, not all of it Christian.

When I was 20 I was baptized Episcopalian, a church with quite a few eclectics, not just me. This has been good for me because the liturgical year keeps me in line with the seasons, there are rites of passage, and a great deal of flexibility in spiritual matters. It gave me some structure, some friends, traditions, continuity, that sort of benefit. However, I never stopped being a panentheist. I have sense come across Episcopalian theologians who are panentheists. Since becoming Episcopalian, I have considered myself a Trinitarian Panentheist specifically and a have a theology based on this.

Throughout my life, I have had spiritual experiences, and they have never been easy to classify into a single religion at any time, though they seemed to confirm my spirituality at any moment on the path. Some of this involved beings that defy any description I have read, and part of the insight I've had is that everywhere we go, everything is thriving with an interconnected web of life. In some sense I have become an animist as well as panentheist and I have had encounters that I have only ever found in works on shamanism or in some cases neo-paganism. Out of these experiences, rites have evolved that have allowed me to return to these sacred spaces and sometimes bring others with me -- I design them to be poetic, artistic, cathartic, and beautiful. The pentagram is an important symbol to me, but I interpret it in my own unique sense. Creating and enacting the rituals involves prayer and effort, and this I offer up as a kind of devotion that reaches the God in all as well as the "angels" I honor.

All of this has happened naturally without me consciously constructing all of this at once. My views have naturally evolved over time, so I don't feel a conflict, but I do have some observations and questions. For one, I have a spiritual worldview, but I don't create my whole path from scratch like some creative individuals do. I find the Episcopal path very good for me, but I do have experiences and views I brought with me into this faith, so I have a personal side to my views and devotions that is eclectic and more self-expressive.

I have researched online a lot for others in a similar situation and came across ChristoPaganism, but I don't quite fit with that.

Are there any others in a similar situation? Would this be an example of syncretism?

Also with eclectics, is there a balance between personal creativity and prayer and older traditions? Is there a balance between being guided by older traditions -- Christian, Buddhist, etc. -- but be innovative? I suppose the Quakers would say to trust the God within. I lean toward this view, but I know sometimes it's hard with the ego chattering away!

Also did older societies ever have people who created a large part of their religious practice from creativity, like solitary eclectics? I know different cultures exchanged ideas and practices, but were there people who consciously adapted different practices and formed their own? Or people who created personal and new rituals? I would imagine not everyone is cut out for it!

I suppose I have a communal side to my spirituality with my parish and church friends, but I have a solitary practice in private that enriches and expresses other aspects of my spirituality -- both perspectives are a whole to me. I am able to consider that there may be many different perspectives that are windows into God, and my path is one small window. How's that for eclectic?

I am hoping by sharing this I might get some idea if there are others in a similar place on the map to me (ChristoPagan is closest but still seems very different when I read about how they see and practice that path) or whether I'm on my own with this kind of thing!
    Last edited by EclecticWheel; 09 Jul 2013, 16:29.

Re: The Eclectic Map

I'm exhausted, but I swear I'm going to come back and write more to you about this! But I'm leaving this bit here for now...

I'm a pretty weird christian, and a lot of my beliefs come from seeing God in nature, so I think we have some similarities. You're not totally alone, though I doubt we're identical, but at the very least you're not alone in uniqueness.
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Malflick wrote,

I'm a pretty weird christian, and a lot of my beliefs come from seeing God in nature, so I think we have some similarities. You're not totally alone, though I doubt we're identical, but at the very least you're not alone in uniqueness.
      I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone in this! I anticipate what you have to write about.

Comment

alrighty! Back. I'm really really really sorry It took me so long to get back to you X_X, first of, the wait probably will be dissapointing for all I have to add.

So, not a ChristoPagan here, but definitely Christian ^_^.

First off, I'd like to ask you a question: What do you think/feel Christianity is?

While adding another descriptor is often helpful to finding ones identity, just know that Christianity itself is big enough to encompass a large number of beliefs, many of which are so contradictory as to be ridiculous. Christianity includes people who believe both in the divinity and non-divinity of Christ, trinitarians, non trinitarians, etc.

I myself am Catholic, mostly, as my subgroup of Christian, but I'm also my own thing really. I connect with YHWH through Nature very often, and many of my beliefs directly contradict traditional ones.

What you believe fits into the broad and storied history of our faith, one that is ever changing and growing. Remember that before orthodoxy was established, there were dozens of branches of Christianity with radically different views who all had schools and churches. The 'mainstream' came later.

I can't put a label on you, I'm not even sure if I should if I could. But finding your faith, and how you will practice, trust in God in your search. If you follow the feeling inside you, that feeling should lead you in good and interesting places, places you may not have been anticipating. trust it, study, pray, and keep going. I'll love to keep chatting during your journey.

...Even though I sucked hard at replying to this X_X!!!
        hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Working...
        X