Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

[quote author=ThorsSon link=topic=758.msg11863#msg11863 date=1289467204]

Why is "bollocks" good, but "dog's bollocks" bad? But, if there isn't really an explanation, I can understand, since in the US, we have a similar paradox: saying "that is shit" is bad, while saying "that is the shit" is good.

[/quote]You've got that the wrong way round... 'the dog's bollocks' means something's excellent i.e 'that gig was the dog's bollocks' Sometimes shortened to 'the DBs'. I hate that phrase. 'Bollocks' I use all the time.

I drop my tea. "Bollocks!"
    David Cameron expresses concern for the poor. "Bollocks!"

So it can mean BS, or just be a simple swear word. Or you can 'bollocks it up' i.e make a mistake.
    You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

this is more about the differences in politics and other stuff...but I thought it was amusing

The Daily Show is an Emmy- and Peabody Award-winning program that looks at the day’s top headlines through a sharp, reality-based lens.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Maythe link=topic=758.msg12119#msg12119 date=1289508911]
        You've got that the wrong way round... 'the dog's bollocks' means something's excellent i.e 'that gig was the dog's bollocks' Sometimes shortened to 'the DBs'. I hate that phrase. 'Bollocks' I use all the time.

I drop my tea. "Bollocks!"
        David Cameron expresses concern for the poor. "Bollocks!"

So it can mean BS, or just be a simple swear word. Or you can 'bollocks it up' i.e make a mistake.
        [/quote]

And don't forget the verb - to give someone a good bollocking!! (Meaning to give them a telling off, dressing down, etc.)
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Ooh good point. It was always a bollocking at school...

'Got a right bollocking from Mr Dawes, didn't I? Arsehole.'

Thinking of school I went to an 'Upper School', not a 'High School'.

Comment

I went to a Secondary school
            http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I was in a primary, middle, upper system. Rather than a primary, secondary. It's primary to 9/10yrs, middle till you're 13/14 and then upper.

Comment

Some of the more amusing differences (imo):

In the US, a "rubber" used to be a rubber boot, while today it usually refers to a condom. In the UK a "rubber" is a rubber eraser, if I recall correctly.

In the UK, if a hotel clerk "knocks you up," they "give you a wake-up call." Whereas in the US if somebody knocks you up they've gotten you pregnant, usually out of wedlock.

I'm guessing the cigarette/fag thing came from "faggot," which originally referred to a bundle of sticks used for fuel. A cigarette, after all, is technically a small stick which is meant to be burned.
                Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                -Erik Erikson

Comment

A few strange things I've noticed some Americans say (generally Boston, cuz I'm near there) are "My dogs are barking" which means "my feet hurt." It sounds bad if you don't have a Boston accent though. Not sure why. Only people with Boston accents can pull it off.

I hear "molly whop" a lot which means to hit someone extremely hard. It can also refer to doing it with an inappropriate male body part.

Pimp slap and bitch slap are also used quite often.

My area isn't very educated....

Comment

Let us not forget the classics:

Canada VS The UK:
                    Toque - Beanie
                    Chips - Crisps
                    Fries - Chips
                    Sausages - Bangers

(it's a toque)

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=758.msg11726#msg11726 date=1289433466]
                      I never knew that about 'bloody'! Even *I* use that word (but I'm heavily influenced by British culture, having been there twice and dating an Englishman)

Knickers? We call 'em panties, or just underwear.
                      [/quote]

I think knickers is a cute word, and I find myself using it!

We don't use the word "queue" very often in Canada, but I use it now too...

Having lived over here and having a lot of friends from the UK, I find that I use a lot more UK words though. Do you find that dating an English dude?

Comment

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=758.msg12232#msg12232 date=1289520491]
                        I think knickers is a cute word, but ya.

We don't use the word "queue" very often.

Having lived over here and having a lot of friends from the UK, I find that I use a lot more UK words though. Do you find that dating an English dude?
                        [/quote]

I use a lot of UK words, myself - bloody and rubbish being the big two, I also call it 'football' not 'soccer' when talking to non-north american friends, you know, just little things like that. As for your question, I presume you mean the opposite? As in, does he use more canadian words having been over here? Totally.

He says toque.

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=758.msg12233#msg12233 date=1289520682]
                          I use a lot of UK words, myself - bloody and rubbish being the big two, I also call it 'football' not 'soccer' when talking to non-north american friends, you know, just little things like that. As for your question, I presume you mean the opposite? As in, does he use more canadian words having been over here? Totally.

He says toque.
                          [/quote]

I guess I meant both of you! I think some of my English friends here use a few more American words (because there are a lot of Americans kicking around too!)

toque is the best word ever! I will never, ever call it a beanie.

Comment

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=758.msg12234#msg12234 date=1289520797]
                            I guess I meant both of you! I think some of my English friends here use a few more American words (because there are a lot of Americans kicking around too!)

toque is the best word ever! I will never, ever call it a beanie.
                            [/quote]

Whenever anyone says beanie, I think of this:

But yeah, basically because of the amount of time I've spent in the UK, and the number of UK friends I have - I use a lot of UK English. And as for the Englishman - it's the same with North American/Canadian words (he's worked in Canada for 5 years). Toque, awesome, totally, etc.

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=758.msg12231#msg12231 date=1289520351]
                              Toque - Beanie
                              [/quote]

You mean, a toboggan?
                              "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

I've got one that's a bit of a puzzle...no one else in the area I grew up in seems to use it, but my grandmother did, so it's habit for me. I get up in the morning and "shut the bed".

Is that a UK thing, by any chance?
                                Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                                X