Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

One thing thats always got me is schools... cos even in England there's a variation of where to be at what age.. I mean I've had the typical English education -

Nursery - 0-4
    Primary School - 4-11
    High School/Secondary School - 11-16
    College - 16-18
    University 18-21

Comment

[quote author=Sin link=topic=758.msg12284#msg12284 date=1289532120]
      One thing thats always got me is schools... cos even in England there's a variation of where to be at what age.. I mean I've had the typical English education -

Nursery - 0-4
      Primary School - 4-11
      High School/Secondary School - 11-16
      College - 16-18
      University 18-21
      [/quote]

In Canada, we have two systems (as if it wasn't confusing enough!)

System 1:
      Elementary School - Kindergarten to Grade 7 (ages 5-12)
      Highschool/Secondary School - Grade 8 to Grade 12 (12-18)

System 2:
      Elementary School - Kindergarten to Grade 4...ish (5-10...ish) I say ish because this can be different
      Middle School - Grade 5 to Grade 8...ish (10-13...ish) ...some middle schools are 4-9, some are 5-9, some are 5-8, etc
      Highschool/Secondary School - Grade 8 or 9 to Grade 12

And let us not forget that some regions have JUNIOR HIGH (Grades 8, 9, 10) before you commence to Secondary School.

Oh, and college is post secondary education for us. As in, we have to pay for it, it's not an extension of highschool.

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=758.msg12231#msg12231 date=1289520351]
        Let us not forget the classics:

Canada VS The UK:
        Toque - Beanie
        Chips - Crisps
        Fries - Chips
        Sausages - Bangers

(it's a toque)
        [/quote]

Is it pop or soda in the UK?
        Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

[quote author=cesara link=topic=758.msg12295#msg12295 date=1289532928]

Is it pop or soda in the UK?
          [/quote]

Here, in TX, it is coke.

As in, "hey, while you're up, would you get me a coke?"
          "sure, what kind do you want?"
          "mountain dew."
          "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

[quote author=ThorsSon link=topic=758.msg12299#msg12299 date=1289535115]
            Here, in TX, it is coke.

"mountain dew."
            [/quote]

As a fellow Texan, I can very much corroborate this.
            "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."--Mark Twain

"There are only two types of people in this world who walk around beardless; boys and women. I am neither one." --Ancient Greek saying

Comment

It's neither pop nor soda, it's a fizzy drink, or the brand name or type, like lemonade.

I've never heard 'shut the bed'. And I have to say sausages are still sausages here, bangers is also used, but it's slang. If you buy them in the supermarket, the packet says sausages!

When you say toque=beanie volcaniclastic, what object are you talking about? To me a beanie is a particular type of wooly hat, but you could also just call it a wooly hat. I don't think of beanie as a particularly British word! :P

We do have fries too, but fries are skinny, nasty chips to me. I'd much rather have a good Fish'n'Chip shop chip. Chunky and crispy. Om nom nom.
              You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

It's still pop in my part of the world And like Maythe, I love proper chip shop chips. With salt and vinegar preferably.

Another saying we have is 'a big girl's blouse' for someone who is a big of a fusspot.

And in Wales we have 'an old bopah' (which literally means an old aunt) for pretty much the same type of fusspot.

(And it's just occurred to me - does anyone else actually say 'fusspot?&#039

Some peculiarly Welsh words include:

twp (think of it as 'put' reversed) = a bit simple, gone in the head.
                BUT If someone is really really, dangerously twp (as in reckless) then they are headshot.

And then there is cwtch (almost sounds like cooch but not quite) which means to hug, cuddle, hide something or someone.... (as in cwtch down by here and nobody will see you; or Come and give your old Mam a cwtch (meaning a cuddle))

www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=758.msg12242#msg12242 date=1289523394]
                  Whenever anyone says beanie, I think of this:

[/quote]

Haha SAME!

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=758.msg12291#msg12291 date=1289532550]
                    In Canada, we have two systems (as if it wasn't confusing enough!)

System 1:
                    Elementary School - Kindergarten to Grade 7 (ages 5-12)
                    Highschool/Secondary School - Grade 8 to Grade 12 (12-18)

System 2:
                    Elementary School - Kindergarten to Grade 4...ish (5-10...ish) I say ish because this can be different
                    Middle School - Grade 5 to Grade 8...ish (10-13...ish) ...some middle schools are 4-9, some are 5-9, some are 5-8, etc
                    Highschool/Secondary School - Grade 8 or 9 to Grade 12

And let us not forget that some regions have JUNIOR HIGH (Grades 8, 9, 10) before you commence to Secondary School.

Oh, and college is post secondary education for us. As in, we have to pay for it, it's not an extension of highschool.
                    [/quote]

Mine was the first system until I was in grade 7, then they switched to this:
                    Primary/Elementary School: Grades k-6
                    Middle School: Grades 7-9
                    High School/Secondary School: Grades 10-12

In Victoria middle school is grades 6-8. I think it gets really confusing sometimes when you talk to friends from other towns about middle school because you can't gage how old they were and vice versa.

To add to The actual English/US topic, in the UK "public school" isn't state school, it's kind of like a private school, but in Canada public school is state school and most people go, even if their families have a lot of money.

Sometimes I relapse and use Canadian words. Like ones that even Americans don't get. Like once we were at dinner and a couple of friends were talking about the wedding they went to in Majorca last year. And I was like "yeah I heard that week was such a gong show", and everyone stared at me, and they were like "um, wtf did you just say???"

Comment

Here, it is:

Elementary School: Grades K-5
                      Junior High School: Grades 6-8 (6-9 in some schools)
                      High School: Grades 9-12 (10-12 in some schools)
                      Junior College (2 year college schools - offer Associate's Degrees)
                      College/University (4+ year universities - offer Bachelor, Masters and Doctoral degrees)

Some people attend Junior College, then go on to a 4 year College/University. Many people also go straight to the 4 year school and get their "higher education" entirely from there, skipping the Junior College altogether.
                      "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Thorson, I find that Texas is full of sayings that you just don't hear anywhere else!

One thing that I believe is prevalent in the South US though is "fixin' to" and it is something my husband does a lot! He's fixin' to mow, or fixin' to ride the 4 wheeler...

It comes from when people always had to 'fix' whatever they were going to use to do some sort of work.

I lived in the Caribbean for a time and one of the first things I learned was that if you were just hanging around you were *limin'* I love their dialect!

"Hey white guhl! How you do today? You limin' or wah?"

Quite a shock when I first moved there...

Comment

lol I'm in Georgia but I have learned British English quite well. My hubby uses rhyming slang in every day speech. If he asks me where the dog is he means "the dog and bone" or the telephone.

So I went up the apples and pears and found the dog and bone in the same place he left it when he went to the WC for a Jimmy Riddle this morning. It made me have a bubble bath! Translation: Went upstairs and found the phone int he bathroom where he'd left it when he went for a pee this morning. It made me laugh.

hehehe
                          If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
                          --Douglas Adams (RIP)

http://corvuscorvidae.tumblr.com/ My Bloggerriffic Blogtastic Blo

Comment

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=758.msg12336#msg12336 date=1289553963]
                            Sometimes I relapse and use Canadian words. Like ones that even Americans don't get. Like once we were at dinner and a couple of friends were talking about the wedding they went to in Majorca last year. And I was like "yeah I heard that week was such a gong show", and everyone stared at me, and they were like "um, wtf did you just say???"
                            [/quote]

haha.....too funny! I thought Americans would get 'gong show', too, though??

sigpic

Comment

Ha, where I live, people sometimes say soder for soda or pop. Not too sure why.

Is rotary or roundabout used in England?

The East Coast generally says rotary, and the West Coast generally says roundabout. That is the impression I got anyways. So is there a different word in England, or like over here?

Comment

[quote author=ThorsSon link=topic=758.msg12299#msg12299 date=1289535115]
                                Here, in TX, it is coke.

"mountain dew."
                                [/quote]

Doesn't surprise me at all. Much the same as how we call tissue, 'Kleenex'. Pass me a Kleenex means pass me a tissue. Same in the US and/or UK?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X