X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Link: 10 misconceptions about Islam

Originally posted by Monster View Post
    I agree. While I fully acknowledge there *are* "good" Muslims (for lack of a better term).....it does have an above average number of extremists in its ranks.

How do you figure this? I ask because I saw someone else make a similar comment a week or so ago on FB...and after doing some research, I think its a really big misconception based on how the media skews news stories. I think Americans particularly are hyper-focused on Islamic extremism because of Al-qaeda and other affiliated terrorist groups. But there are Christian based terrorist groups operating in the world, and there's even is plenty of Christian extremism and terroristic acts even in this country.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      How do you figure this? I ask because I saw someone else make a similar comment a week or so ago on FB...and after doing some research, I think its a really big misconception based on how the media skews news stories. I think Americans particularly are hyper-focused on Islamic extremism because of Al-qaeda and other affiliated terrorist groups. But there are Christian based terrorist groups operating in the world, and there's even is plenty of Christian extremism and terroristic acts even in this country.
      Lets take "Christian" (using that term loosely) whackos like the Westboro Baptist morons. They are definitely a extreme and perverted form of Christianity, I think we can agree. But when they get stupid, other Christian groups will condemn them and even confront them to stop their hate fueled rants at places like soldiers funerals.

Then lets look at Islam as a whole. When 9/11 happened, millions upon millions of Muslims took to the streets CELEBRATING that terror attack. I don't see anyone condemning it. I don't see moderate Muslims saying "Hey, this isn't what Islam is about."

When Timothy McVeigh bombed that federal building....did you see Christians take to the street cheering? Of course you didn't.

And that to me is the difference.

Of course there are also Christian based terror groups worldwide. But the "hyper-focus" you speak of is because 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999% of ALL terror related attacks or hostage events on US peoples or assets since the 1960's, has been at the hands of radical Muslims. The "War on Terror" didn't start with 9/11 as so many people believe. Its been going on for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
        Then lets look at Islam as a whole. When 9/11 happened, millions upon millions of Muslims took to the streets CELEBRATING that terror attack. I don't see anyone condemning it. I don't see moderate Muslims saying "Hey, this isn't what Islam is about."
        Then perhaps you aren't looking. I have.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I've asked people I know in foreign countries how Americans are perceived. It's not good, ever.

This has nothing to do with Joe American, and everything to do with the govt's foreign policy. But that doesn't stop whole countries from hating us, when we the little people, have done nothing wrong. We hate this crap that's going on just as much or more, than the folks overseas do. Our military just hasn't had a coup to fix it. (Yet.)

- - - Updated - - -

Likewise, a lot of American's view of Muslims largely has to do with what is (endlessly) reported in the mainstream media here. Every time anything happens, it's always linked to a Muslim extremist group. Or so the govt would like us to believe, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Thothur View Post
            I've asked people I know in foreign countries how Americans are perceived. It's not good, ever.

This has nothing to do with Joe American, and everything to do with the govt's foreign policy. But that doesn't stop whole countries from hating us, when we the little people, have done nothing wrong. We hate this crap that's going on just as much or more, than the folks overseas do. Our military just hasn't had a coup to fix it. (Yet.)

- - - Updated - - -

Likewise, a lot of American's view of Muslims largely has to do with what is (endlessly) reported in the mainstream media here. Every time anything happens, it's always linked to a Muslim extremist group. Or so the govt would like us to believe, anyway.
            Actually, Obama wants everyone to believe that its all the fault of those white, gun toting, bible thumpers.

- - - Updated - - -

But I agree with you though. The average person, anywhere....wants basic things. Its not the people who can't get along....its the governments.

How long did we "hate" the Russians and others from the old Warsaw Pact countries? Dude...I've partied with Russians and Czechs and Romanians.....and they are no different than us.

Maybe it will be that way one day with the Muslims. But it won't happen until the old school hard liners are dead or ignored.

Comment

read this

life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
              X