X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kemetic ideals to follow

Hi everyone.
    During my researches over the years, I found these 42 commandments. You might consider it pretty helpful, as I did. The Judgment of, and subsequent punishment for, Personal Transgressions was in the hands of the Gods and took place after death during the judgment of Ma'at. .
    http://www.perankhgroup.com/commandments.htm
    Transgressions Against Mankind
    1. I have not committed murder, neither have I bid any one to slay on my behalf;
    2. I have not committed rape, neither have I forced any one to commit fornication;
    3. I have not avenged myself, nor have I burned with rage;
    4. I have not caused terror, nor have I worked affliction;
    5. I have caused none to feel pain, nor have I worked grief;
    6. I have done neither harm nor ill, nor I have caused misery;
    7. I have done no hurt to man, nor have I wrought harm to beasts;
    8. I have made none to weep;
    9. I have had no knowledge of evil, neither have I acted wickedly, nor have I wronged the people;
    10. I have not stolen, neither have I taken that which does not belong to me, nor that which belongs to another, nor have I taken from the orchards, nor snatched the milk from the mouth of the babe;
    11. I have not defrauded, neither I have added to the weight of the balance, nor have I made light the weight in the scales;
    12. I have not laid waste the plowed land, nor trampled down the fields;
    13. I have not driven the cattle from their pastures, nor have I deprived any of that which was rightfully theirs;
    14. I have accused no man falsely, nor have I supported any false accusation;
    15. I have spoken no lies, neither have I spoken falsely to the hurt of another;
    16. I have never uttered fiery words, nor have I stirred up strife;
    17. I have not acted guilefully, neither have I dealt deceitfully, nor spoken to deceive to the hurt another;
    18. I have not spoken scornfully, nor have I set my lips in motion against any man;
    19. I have not been an eavesdropper;
    20. I have not stopped my ears against the words of Right and Truth;
    21. I have not judged hastily, nor have I judged harshly;
    22. I have committed no crime in the place of Right and Truth;
    23. I have caused no wrong to be done to the servant by his master;
    24. I have not been angry without cause;
    25. I have not turned back water at its springtide, nor stemmed the flow of running water;
    26. I have not broken the channel of a running water;
    27. I have never fouled the water, nor have I polluted the land.

Sins
    28. I have not cursed nor despised God, nor have I done that which God does abominate;
    29. I have not vexed or angered God;
    30. I have not robbed God, nor have I filched that which has been offered in the temples;
    31. I have not added unto nor have I diminished the offerings which are due;
    32. I have not purloined the cakes of the gods;
    33. I have not carried away the offerings made unto the blessed dead;
    34. I have not disregarded the season for the offerings which are appointed;
    35. I have not turned away the cattle set apart for sacrifice;
    36. I have not thwarted the processions of the god;
    37. I have not slaughtered with evil intent the cattle of the god;

Personal Transgressions
    38. I have not acted guilefully nor have I acted in insolence;
    39. I have not been overly proud, nor have I behaved myself with arrogance;
    40. I have never magnified my condition beyond what was fitting;
    41. Each day have I labored more than was required of me;
    42. My name has not come forth to the boat of the Prince

"Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Re: Kemetic ideals to follow

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
    Hi everyone.
    During my researches over the years, I found these 42 commandments. You might consider it pretty helpful, as I did. The Judgment of, and subsequent punishment for, Personal Transgressions was in the hands of the Gods and took place after death during the judgment of Ma'at. .
    The Negative Confessions, known in some circles as the 42 Purifications, for those who are curious. ^_^ I wouldn't go as far as to call them commandments, but no doubt there were ancient Egyptians used them to guide their behavior in life.
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

I agree, and apologize.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
        I agree, and apologize.
        No need to apologize. ^_^ English is a horribly imprecise language, sometimes.

I think it's easy to think of the Confessions as commandments because of the widespread influence of the Bible and traditions that draw from it. (Not bashing those traditions, just stating an opinion.) The Confessions are numbered and are involved with judgment, so it's not that far of a jump.

For those who are interested, I would also recommend reading the Wisdom Texts. The WTs aren't aren't always directly about maat, but they do lay out how to "live correctly" from the sages. "Living correctly" is basically living in maat, although that's obviously a simplification.

Comment

You are right, English words have many synonyms. And the differences between the Britain and American English can be a little confusing (without insulting anyone of course).
          Can you add a link to these texts, please? I would be very interested to read them.

Comment

The site has a lot of information on ancient Egyptian culture and religion, including a good selection of literature.
            Last edited by MaskedOne; 20 Jul 2013, 17:52. Reason: link removed

Comment

Originally posted by Satu View Post
              The site has a lot of information on ancient Egyptian culture and religion, including a good selection of literature.

Per site policy, links are not permitted till after a member has 15 non-game/ non introduction posts.

I had originally planned to waive policy in this case if the site in question looked on-topic and beneficial. If you know where the site has moved to then I may consider doing so after seeing it. However, the link in your post seems to go to a site that has been taken down so I'm removing it. If you know the site's current location or the location of an equivalent site, please let me know.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

It does look like the link has changed (it's been awhile since I've used the site because I now have my own copies of the texts I'm interested in). To get to the home page, it's reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/index.html--click on "Ancient Egyptian Reader", which you can find near the bottom of the Table of Contents. You'll have to scroll down to get to the Wisdom Texts. Be careful of any texts translated by Budge. Gardiner, Faulkner, and Lichtheim are okay. I can't speak for any other translators credited on the site, though.

I just realized the links policy. My apologies. I believe this post will be moderated and I understand if the link gets removed again, but I do think reshafim is a good resource for texts. Especially texts that may be a biiiit harder to find outside of a good Egyptological library. It's also a reasonable source for mythological information. Its historical information might be a little out of date.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the new address.

I'm approving this link. This waiver is not applicable to any other links that may come up in the future. Future links (till your post count switches you out of the newbie usergroup) will be judged by whichever mod sees them first.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                  X