This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced Sterilization in Prison

When, if ever, should forced sterilization in women be allowed? Why do I ask? Apparently in California, some prison officials have been accused of doing this.
    California lawmakers are demanding to know why doctors under contract with the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation sterilized nearly 150 female inmates in four years without required state approval and, as some claim, strongly pressured or even tricked some of the women into signing off.
    One doctor even allegedly suggested that the procedures would help the state save on welfare.
    While not part of a formal sterilization program, the surgeries were performed with alarming frequency. At least 148 women in the California prison system were sterilized by tubal ligation without state approval between 2006 and 2010, confirmed Joyce Hayhoe, director of legislation for the California Correctional Health Care Services. The story was first reported by the Center for Investigative Reporting.

sauce

Now I know most of us want to say NEVER. But let's just throw this out. A woman kills her children. Drowns them and doesn't get a life sentence. Or let's say is found to have munchausen syndrome by proxy. And she's killed, let's say 3 of her children. Is she a candidate for forced sterilization?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Re: Forced Sterilization in Prison

Personally, if a woman kills not one, but more of her children... I really don't think she should have more. Obviously she sees children as lesser things... Why cause all the trouble?

Again, personally... I feel that any person who is caught red-handed in horrible crimes (murder, terrorism, ect) should be killed. Why should we bother keeping them alive when they're just going to do it again?

Perhaps not after just one murder, sure... But if they pay they sentence, leave, and commit another hard crime... Definitely kill them.

Those are my thoughts on prisoners. If they can't keep themselves out of trouble, then they shouldn't be given the luxury of people who keep their hands clean. If it means sterilizing women, sure.... But the crime they had committed had better be extreme.

Comment

The state should never be allowed to force alterations to the body.

Comment

Originally posted by Liandrin View Post
        The state should never be allowed to force alterations to the body.
        I totaly agree , to allow a state to decide who can and cannot reproduce is a terrible thing.
        Why not have enforced genital mutilation while we're at it.... No state or human can be trusted with that level of power over people.

Who would get to decide? Who would be eligible for this mutilation? The sick? " criminals?" because there is not a country that has not redifined any of those things.
        And thas not including those poor people who are innocent but got convicted :/

Comment

I think the state should be allowed to decide who can and cannot reproduce.

This is a bit off topic, but I firmly believe that we should all have a 'license to reproduce'. We get a license to drive by passing a competence test, reproduction should be the same. You should be judged as competent to have a child. At about age 16 every child should be judged as to whether they can have children or not (fertility) as well as any genetic factors that could come to play. And when you decide you want a child, you should be assessed (and your partner, for compatibility) as to whether you can have children. This should avoid those things like childhood pregnancy (there would be fines) and children born to druggo families etc.

Of course my system isn't perfect, but someone smarter than me can work out the logistics. I just think there should be strict laws on who can reproduce.

Back OT, I pretty much agree with WT.
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Were they sterilized so that guards could rape them without "consequence"?
            And, where is the anti-choice camp on this one? Aren't they covering this issue and making sure no one gets sterilized, ever?
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
              And, where is the anti-choice camp on this one?
              I don't know. If I find an anti-choice person, I'll ask them.

How do the anti-life people feel about the issue? They must be for it, I imagine...

:=S:
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                I don't know. If I find an anti-choice person, I'll ask them.

How do the anti-life people feel about the issue? They must be for it, I imagine...

:=S:
                I can't imagine what the likes of a Charles Manson or Jeffrey Dahmer would think, or why it's relevant. I'm wondering what the people who highly value the fetuses of strangers and wish to bring them all to the point of birth, some of whom wish to prevent the prevention of conception think. (Hope that's understandable wording.)

Also under consideration - it the woman is serving a life sentence, does it matter? Is the core issue about the possibility of having children in the future, or about having a procedure (in general) mandated?
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                  This is a bit off topic, but I firmly believe that we should all have a 'license to reproduce'. We get a license to drive by passing a competence test, reproduction should be the same. You should be judged as competent to have a child. At about age 16 every child should be judged as to whether they can have children or not (fertility) as well as any genetic factors that could come to play. And when you decide you want a child, you should be assessed (and your partner, for compatibility) as to whether you can have children. This should avoid those things like childhood pregnancy (there would be fines) and children born to druggo families etc.
                  Okay, this may be hijacking the thread, and if it does I apologise, but I am incapable of keeping my mouth shut.
                  So let me ask, by who's standards? And when's? What makes you a 'good' parent have changed dramatically over the years. Not that long ago not using a, quote, 'firm hand', unquote, when raising your kids was seen as spoiling them completely and thus ruining their chances of ever becoming decent human beings. These days in most of the Western world the opposite is the generally agreed upon policy. Research indicates that one method was no more successful in turning out good caring people than the other one.
                  Also, some say that the man of the family should be masculine and adhere to masculine ideals, the woman the opposite, so as to give children a firm idea of the structure of gender roles. Others claim that this practice is damaging to children's development... Seriously I could go on and on on this subject.

And who should be fined in a case of childhood pregnancy? The girl who gets pregnant? She might not have planned to or even wanted it? The parents? Who may have no control over what their daughter is doing?

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                  Of course my system isn't perfect, but someone smarter than me can work out the logistics. I just think there should be strict laws on who can reproduce.
                  Also, whenever I hear this I get a very cold feeling in my stomach because it sounds so much like the eugenic thinking that was rampant in the 19th century and the first half of the 20th and gave us such lovely things as Nazism, Fascism, Concentration Camps, and WWII. Please understand me correctly, I am not in any way accusing you of having any sympathy for any of these ideologies or advocate these practises, but these are the thoughts that immediately leap into my brain.
                  And to be perfectly honest, when I hear about what some women do to their children, have them taken into care and then just have another baby, I too think, 'couldn't someone please stop this madness?'. But then I can't help but remember what happened the last time someone tried to control who could and couldn't have kids. In Denmark we have some lovely examples from the first half of the 1900 where hundreds of young women were forcefully sterilised and all these particular women had ever done was to act... inappropriately according to the then rules of society. Generally that constituted being out late at night, becoming pregnant before getting married (a big no-no in those days) or even just having a boyfriend, or something else that to most of us today would appear completely innocuous. And when I remember this something in me goes, 'no, just no.'
                  Because in my opinion, as a society, that would be to high a price to pay.
                  Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

This very subject was in effect way back by the eugenicists,it in fact caused there to be laws that allowed the forced sterilizing of people for such things as being epileptic. The movement lost favor after the Germans took the concept and ran down the field to getting rid of people they deemed not worthy of life.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I also am in the boat that the government should have absolutely no rights when it comes to a person's Self. That is, their body, their mind, their beliefs, and the way they live their lives (as long as it doesn't conflict with laws that are in place to ensure the safety and those rights of others).

Beyond that, I feel that the government oversteps their bounds (and I know, it happens quite a bit).

Have I seen those people who are so cruel to their children that the child probably grows up wishing they had never been born? Absolutely. Have I seen those parents who leave their child in random places and go off to do their own thing while their baby is screaming, lost, and confused? Absolutely. Have I read all those horror stories where a parent has willfully killed their own child? You bet. While it is common, it is not the majority. Honestly, I think the answer isn't forced sterilization and a license to breed (which, how exactly would you enforce that anyway?), but a heightened level of awareness of those individuals exposed to that family's behaviors on a regular basis and a heightened response (and overall better organized) CPS system.

Licensing to breed would never be enforced without the ability and regular practice of temporarily sterilizing all males and females while they're still in single digits, and having a way of reversing that without a chance of it getting botched. Not to mention, doing those things basically stunts the normal growth and development of those individuals anyway, so... not such a great plan if we want this species to continue reproducing.

Lumping all of society into the same boat based on the behaviors of a minority is always a topic that irks me to the enth degree.

Besides, even if those children who were abused grow up to be emotionally distraught, confused, lost, and generally unable to trust themselves or trust others... it doesn't mean they will be that way forever. It doesn't mean they can't recover, it doesn't mean they can't connect to others and live a happy existence, and it doesn't mean their worth as a person is void. It's actually the children of troubled families that I've found to be the most insightful and the best representations of what humanity has to offer.

So, long story short. Forced sterilization = fail.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post

So let me ask, by who's standards?
                        I'm okay with the idea of an IQ test. Cause while there are several different standards of what makes a "good parent"....there's also a rather large line that does state "you are seriously too stupid to breed". The people who legitimately think it's okay to throw a child around and pay more attention to stupid facebook games, and other things like that.

If we have to have have licenses to breed animals (which most humans consider to be of lesser intelligence) why are we letting the people who willfully put their children in danger create more children that they can't take care of, or *wont* take care of?
                        Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                        Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                        sigpic

Comment

Opposed.

If you've already murdered a child and can't be trusted not to repeat the procedure then we've got prison, mental institutions and if you really annoy society, certain states have death sentences. Any of the three will keep you from murdering any child instead of merely prevent you from murdering your own. If you can be trusted not to kill a child then there's no need.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                            I can't imagine what the likes of a Charles Manson or Jeffrey Dahmer would think, or why it's relevant. I'm wondering what the people who highly value the fetuses of strangers and wish to bring them all to the point of birth, some of whom wish to prevent the prevention of conception think. (Hope that's understandable wording.)
                            Oh. You meant a certain faction of pro-life then, I think.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
                              eugenic thinking that was rampant in the 19th century and the first half of the 20th and gave us such lovely things as Nazism, Fascism, Concentration Camps, and WWII.

Just wanted to say, eugenics did not give us the Nazi parties, Fascism, or WWII.

The Nazi party started as a gang in Germany lead by Hitler.

WWII started when Hitler rose to power and started breaking the Treaty Of Versaille, the treaty made at the end of WWI. Britain kept appeasing Hitler instead of stomping the bugger out earlier.

Eugenics was a by product of the Nazi party and their twisted ideals.
                              White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                              sigpic
                              In Days of yore,
                              From Britain's shore
                              Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                              And planted firm Britannia's flag
                              On Canada's fair domain.
                              Here may it wave,
                              Our boast, our pride
                              And joined in love together,
                              The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                              The Maple Leaf Forever.