Need recipe for cherry pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need recipe for cherry pie

I just harvested my first batch of pie cherries from the trees I planted years ago.

Does anybody have a good recipe for cherry pie?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Need recipe for cherry pie

OOOH!!!

My grandma makes an awesome cherry pie.

I don't have the recipe for it, but maybe I can get her to share it...its hard to say, because some recipes she won't give out. I'll try though!

(what about cherry cobbler?)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Ooo....I don't have a good filling recipe, but I have the mother of all piecrusts.

A few years ago, Cooks Illustraited came up with one using vodka instead of water(the alcohol doesn't activate the gluten in the flour like water does). I use home-rendered lard instead of shortening, and when I make apple pie I use applejack or inexpensive calvados instead of the vodka. I've also had pretty amazing results using a low-juniper gin for savory meat pies.

Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Those all are great. I gotta make the filling at least tomorrow.

I usually don't make a crust from dust, but my #2 daughter is home from college, and she still enjoys - even after all these years - do projects with her old man. This would be good.

Cobbler was canned cherries (usually), but canned peaches were popular too.

On top of that was a squat layer of Bisquick, the busy mother's economical little helper.

Do you have something more elegant?

::
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Corbin: Check this out....it looks delish enough, that I'm looking for cherries now!

When I asked, she was quiet for a second, and said "Honey, I don't even know where a written recipe for that might be!" ...My grandma's idea of a recipe is "well, I do *this*, and I add a pinch of *that*..."

I shouldn't complain, since I do the same thing. I'm trying to find my cobbler recipe, since I...."do *this*, and I add a pinch of *that*..."
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X