Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unverified Personal Gnosis

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    There is one thing though I think that UPG appears to have influenced. That being the notion of an evolving or updating of a god / goddesses against the norms of today. Does make one wonder if the gods / goddesses do actually remain static or if they do change and evolve based upon the expectations of their followers. One only need look to modern writers and such to see some serious revamping of the elder gods / goddesses and how they are viewed.
    Some of my UPGs regarding Persephone and Hades fall into this. Persephone has indicated that She does change, whereas Hades seems static. Persephone leaves Their realm for half a year while Hades is a reclusive homebody. As a Goddess of Spring, how could She not change? She's the one Who sees the affects weather has on humanity, and along with Demeter is more 'in tune' with farming and agricultural practices and the development of that throughout the centuries. Hades oversees the dead - the station of the dead doesn't change much.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I personally don't find the UPG's interesting. I find the interaction between people with very different UPGs and how they deal with it more interesting. But that's probably because I'm an atheist. And it all looks like people with their little world bubbles full of Disneyland rules walking around the world. Then one Disneyland meets on Magic Mountain and I just want to see what happens.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        But that's probably because I'm an atheist.
        'Eh, I'm of the opinion that atheism is its own UPG. Then again, I'm of the opinion that any belief about deity (even a non-belief) is based in UPG.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          'Eh, I'm of the opinion that atheism is its own UPG. Then again, I'm of the opinion that any belief about deity (even a non-belief) is based in UPG.
          Yeah, I would go with that. I guess my upg would look more like dmv land then Disneyland I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            I guess my upg would look more like dmv land...
            That's possibly the bleakest worldview I've ever heard. :shudders:

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
              That's possibly the bleakest worldview I've ever heard. :shudders:
              Lol. With my current findings of my bad heart, if it fits, I sits.

Comment

How are we interpreting unverified personal gnosis? You see I feel that based on what I have read that it is. Is it unverified if it is based on your research which comes from written sources but not many or anyone else thinks it?

Comment

UPG doesn't always come from sources. It comes from an individuals interaction with the divine as well.

For example I've always felt that (insert deity) likes black licorice because when I offer it to (insert deity) he/she seems to respond more. Others might have an interaction that is similar or different than my own but both are UPGs.

Comment

Originally posted by Riothamus12 View Post
                    How are we interpreting unverified personal gnosis? You see I feel that based on what I have read that it is. Is it unverified if it is based on your research which comes from written sources but not many or anyone else thinks it?
                    I think for me UPG is defined against the notion of its something one feels about their god / goddess but has no verifiable proof or evidence that it is correct. Not to say that proof may not exist only that the practitioner is not aware of any story, archaeology, or historical material, etc that confirms the practitioners perspective or understanding. In that capacity its a hunch or feeling about something.

For me it's the feeling of how I see Hecate in her capacity and association to water. I have never found anything in archaic lore or material that shows how she was viewed in that aspect of her trilogy of Earth - Heaven - Water

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    If one has a perspective that is based upon their own conclusions and beliefs then I totally agree its all UPG. If it's based upon a collective opinion of something then i'm not sure its still UPG but a collective mindset. Not sure what you would call it but its not UPG, perhaps more of a SPG I suppose.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                      I think for me UPG is defined against the notion of its something one feels about their god / goddess but has no verifiable proof or evidence that it is correct. Not to say that proof may not exist only that the practitioner is not aware of any story, archaeology, or historical material, etc that confirms the practitioners perspective or understanding. In that capacity its a hunch or feeling about something.

For me it's the feeling of how I see Hecate in her capacity and association to water. I have never found anything in archaic lore or material that shows how she was viewed in that aspect of her trilogy of Earth - Heaven - Water

- - - Updated - - -

If one has a perspective that is based upon their own conclusions and beliefs then I totally agree its all UPG. If it's based upon a collective opinion of something then i'm not sure its still UPG but a collective mindset. Not sure what you would call it but its not UPG, perhaps more of a SPG I suppose.
                      Well she has some associations that are also associations of water. I base everything I believe on what I have derived from research. However some people think I don't seek enough personal gnosis as it is. What they fail to realize is that I have deduced a number of associations and obscure historical beliefs or insights of certain information based on my interpretation stemming from it. However there are some things I might think or suspect but not necessarily run with until I come upon something in CG if you will that works with it.

Comment

To me that would show that at least one other person had come to the same conclusion - and decided to write it down. But it's still just the person who decided to write the book - which is why basing spirituality on other people's research can be just as unverifiable as relying solely on your own gnosis.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                          To me that would show that at least one other person had come to the same conclusion - and decided to write it down. But it's still just the person who decided to write the book - which is why basing spirituality on other people's research can be just as unverifiable as relying solely on your own gnosis.
                          However we all believe it to be verified.Many things are true.We just don't always know how or why.

Comment

However we all believe it to be verified.Many things are true.We just don't always know how or why.
                            And many things we all believe to be verified aren't true at all. That's an iffy chance to take from one word of mouth a hundred or more years ago.

Comment

I take from as many mouths as possible, living and dead.There is nothing I haven't found to be true and to be verified in some form.Others may say otherwise, but I don't you care much. I have been wrong before, but that was mostly just a lack of information.

Comment

I take from as many mouths as possible, living and dead.There is nothing I haven't found to be true and to be verified in some form.Others may say otherwise, but I don't you care much. I have been wrong before, but that was mostly just a lack of information.
                                I think with a little due diligence, that kind of thinking is good. It's when we demand the rest of the world believe our UPG that problems crop up. Or when people get bent out of shape when are UPG are challenged. It can be terrifying to find something not true, we so thought was, that we based our life around it. That's probably why wars over religion get really intense. That's got to be a lot of fear going on trying to prove one side right and the other wrong. It's a matter of life and death for some. For me? I'm still at the dmv line and I'm just trying to get outside and play!

Comment

Working...
                                X