This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Heathen Q&A

I've always blamed stuff happening on the huldrufolk that are living around my home. They usually get feisty when I decide it's time to cull back some of the foliage in the yard, or accidentally bump into this one gnarled little tree while mowing the grass. Though they didn't mind at all when I cleared out a huge swath of thorn bushes around the big oak tree ...

In general, they don't bother me but seem to go out of their way to toy with or taunt guests who stay in the house, especially when I'm not in it at the time. Of course, it may be house wights, too. My great grandmother, who lived in this house, would always dump cooking water and extra fat at the base of the oak tree after dinner, claiming that it was good for it.
    "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone!
      Come geek out with me and my buddies on The Bizzarp! Podcast - new episodes every Friday!

"Biting my truant pen, beating myself for spite,"Fool," said my Muse to me, "look in thy heart, and write."
      - Sir Philip Sidney

Comment

Originally posted by daveydwb View Post
        My question is, could this be a house wight? My wife is very sensitive to spirits and the like, and she says we don't have anything that actually stays here with us, although we will have visitors from time to time. But I'm just wondering, do apartments even get house wights? I'm wondering if maybe I should be trying to work with this spirit or wight, or whatever it is, instead of trying to push it away.
        Yes it could be a husvaettr (and yes, apartments can have them too), or it could be one of the huldrufolk, or it could just be a random mischievous spirit who has moved in because you pay it attention. There are quite a few 'breeds' or types of resident spirit... some are local to a particular country or place (check local folklore), some migrated with settlers from their traditional homeland to new lands (check local folklore) and some have no traditional homeland and will pop in and out wherever. Either way, if it gave the charms back on demand then it's unlikely to be a malicious spirit, so it's up to you if you chose to allow it to stay or not. Having a resident spirit has it's boons and it's drawbacks, depending on the personality of the spirit. And depending on what type of spirit it is, it may have more expectations than you're willing to keep up with. Just remember that once you enter into an agreement with it (ie once you start offering to it, or tell it that it can stay, or tell it that it can stay as long as it does x, y and z) then you've entered a binding contract. Most resident spirits will make your life pretty disagreeable if you break your deal with them, and sometimes they'll do the same for the next family when you move out. Most are 'harmless' and wont actually hurt anyone (just steal your stuff, stress your pets out and cause your pipes to burst), but they still shouldn't be taken too lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
          ...and cause your pipes to burst)...
          Take a lesson, people... the staff read our posts.
          śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
          śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Originally posted by Thorbjorn View Post
            Take a lesson, people... the staff read our posts.
            *puts on ominous face*

I seeeee EVERYTHIIIIIIING.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
              *puts on ominous face*

I seeeee EVERYTHIIIIIIING.

*Debates the entertainment value of testing this claim. *
              "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
              ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I see FRED people.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                X