Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

life in prison without parole+1000 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

life in prison without parole+1000 years?

I am not disputing the sentence here,but what I wonder is when and how did it come to having to sentence a person to life,and then having to add 1000 years. In my mind a life sentence means you never get out.

Ariel Castro agrees to a plea deal to let him avoid a death sentence in a sensational Cleveland kidnapping case.

My wondering is when did a life sentence with no parole become a "maybe" and really what does "And a 1000 years" really mean. Seems kinda overkill and Makes me wonder what happened to our Justice system.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: life in prison without parole+1000 years?

I know this case is in the US but the European Humans Rights Court recently made a ruling that a 'life sentence' with no finite time limit was against human rights, and that everyone that wasn't ruled unfit for prison had a right to know how long they were going to be locked up. And that furthermore everyone had a right to the possibility of release and the possibility of review of their sentence. http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2013/j...h-human-rights
    I know that this is 'just' the European court, but they might want to head off a possible similar ruling from the International Human Rights Court in the future.
    Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Still better than the death sentence for which he could have been charged with. Myself i'm tired of hearing about the poor helpless criminal and what they are being subject to. Those three women he kidnapped and held as prisoners had no open ended date for release nor did the children he killed,
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Haha, my father and I figured the +1000 years was after he died, and he still had to serve a prison sentence as a ghost for those 1000 years XD

Comment

I am of the belief that if you deprive a person(persons) of their rights(Kidnapping,Rape) then when tried for said crimes YOUR rights should not be such a concern other than as having a fair trial. If you go to prison then that is where you go,and no bitching that its "Not Fair" that you have to pay for your transgressions.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Rather we like it or not every human being no matter how heinous the crime they commit is entitled to a fair trial by their peers. Samuel Adams even defended British soldiers who had taken part in the Boston Massacre.

The justice system exists to fulfill three things: remove criminals form the general population, correct criminal behavior through punishment and prevent vigilante justice by satisfying the victim's and populace's desire for revenge. My opinion is that the excursiveness of the of the sentence could be in response to the third.

Another possibility is that there is some stipulation involving parole in Ohio. Maybe the extra sentence is to prevent his chances or to even give the state the option to take him to trial in the future if new evidence is found that would make it necessary. Yet another possibility is that his crimes fell under two different categories and had to be punished in two different ways because the death penalty was taken off the table.

The justice system is so overly complicated that for all we know the Gnome King of Planet X could have just decided that he needed an extra thousand years.

Comment

lol maybe just in case that scientific breakthrough to live forever comes through, and it's extended to prison inmates?

Comment

Actually, it's a good thing.

Life, no parole, +1000 years insures that he will never, under any circumstances, will be released.

He agreed to the sentence to avoid the death penalty, which (IMHO) would have been entirely appropriate (times three).

And, since he pled guilty, there will be no trial, so those poor women do not have to testify in court, and can try to get on with their lives.

It looks like a win/win situation to me.

P.S. - the actual length of time that is meant by "life in prison" depends on the state. In some states, it means only 25 years, while in others, "life means life." Not sure what it means in Ohio...
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  P.S. - the actual length of time that is meant by "life in prison" depends on the state. In some states, it means only 25 years, while in others, "life means life." Not sure what it means in Ohio...
                  This, in this state "life" means 25 years and you'll get out on parole in 15 if you have good behavior.

Comment

There was also something This guy said when being sentenced. Not sure of the actual words,but it kinda went like this "I have to deal with my sexual sickness" that in some way seems he feels he is a victim. Words like "I couldn't help myself" in my mind is BS,yes you could have understood that if you got caught you would face jail and worse. Or you could have thought I have no right to harm or kidnap anyone because it is not right. Just because YOU want something does not mean you have to do things like this. Self control and understanding the rules in life are a necessary part of living in a civilized society. The women in this case are the victims and will have to deal with the mental and possible physical problems for the rest of their lives. If this guy suffers in prison then perhaps he will give some thought to the pain and anguish HE has caused.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I personally think that a bullet would be cheaper....I know that I am not being very sympathetic (LOL) but why should he live rent free with 3 square meals a day? the women he held will feel like they are in prison for the rest of their lives, although I hope they don't because they do not deserve that. I like to think that the +1000 is that they remain incarcerated even after death BUT not able to communicate what so ever, forever suspended between this world and the next. Hay you never know he might end up someone's #itch and then he will know what those poor women went through?
                      http://theheathenstudyclub.proboards.com/

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                        Still better than the death sentence for which he could have been charged with. Myself i'm tired of hearing about the poor helpless criminal and what they are being subject to. Those three women he kidnapped and held as prisoners had no open ended date for release nor did the children he killed,
                        This is a really good point in my eyes. He didn't give those people a chance to be free. Well said.

Comment

Sometimes when you commit a crime (let's say kidnap and rape a person for a bunch of years) they count, or attempt to count each rape or crime. And it's sort of..sort of a way to let the victim know, you are aware of every single crime done against them. And the perpetrator is going to be charged for each and every one.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I think that it's a technicality thing. As in he's charged with each of his crimes and they have individual penalties that create a cumulative 1,000 years in addition to whatever charges are life imprisonment. I know in some cultures exceedingly large spans of jail time are used to shame the person and their family, however usually this isn't a common occurrence in ours.
                            Circe

Comment

Working...
                            X