Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What sorts of holidays?

Re: What sorts of holidays?

Thanks a bunch everyone. all of this information was helpful, and definitely made sense. I'll look more into what's going on for my area, and start there.

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Neo-Paganism
    Phrase
    I drink, and I know things

Quote Originally Posted by monsno_leedra View Post
    Off Topic reply

Did a quick search on Leigh Creek as I had not heard of that place. Based upon what I read it seems that area was really trashed and is struggling to recover. Just a suggestion but you might try seeking a major land spirit as they usually lay really deep but can be touched in a dream like state. Other than that wish you luck and the area luck in recovering from the destruction that was caused there by man.
    Yeah Leigh Creek is in the middle of nowhere. We're not famous for anything at all. In fact the town is only here because of the mine. If the mine closed, the town would die. It was pretty heavily farmed back when it was settled because it wasn't quite so epically dry then. And of course the mine is a massive hole in the ground. There just isn't much of anything here. Though we've had more rain this winter and the wildflowers are fantastic at the moment.

I'm trying to build a relationship with the land spirits, so I'll take that on board, thanks
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

Similar to Gardinia, I've been building my own holidays around the quarter and cross quarter days. Oddly so far (especially since since the Norse functioned on a three season rotation,rather then a four), I've found that some of the cross quarters speak to me more, and some none at all, or feel like "more of the same" (I.E. everything "spring" stretching from Imbolc to Midsummer.

So I cut and paste and look for inspiration as needed. Mostly seasonal food and drink, and visits to national parks and other seasonally suitable things when we can afford to.

I'm interested in seeing what the local vanic pagan group does as well. Originally, it wasn't a priority, but I have some pretty serious issues that crop up around some of the more traditional holidays, and so when I realized this let me enjoy holidays with my children instead of being a basket case, it rapidly became a priority.

Sep 2013
    Religion
    Reconstructionist Paganism

I find everyday has reason to celebrate. It may be connected with the seasons or moons or a world happening. I also like to celebrate other peoples festivities. I like any reason to celebrate.

Aug 2013
    Religion
    Non-denominational pagan but tending towards some kind of Celtic Pagan

I've (apparently) been following the Wiccan version of the wheel of the year given above, which does seem more natural than marking conventional "seasons" or "months" that seem to be somehow out of sync with what I observe in nature.

I didn't realise there were any other "Wheels of the year" or celebrations and thought that the ones I have been marking were generic Pagan ones (I stand corrected now). But having read this thread I'm wondering, what other pantheons of holidays are there? For example, for a Celtic Pagan or Norse Pagan or Egyptian Pagan etc.? Is there a specific set of holidays for a specific pantheon or is it very much a pick and chose what you feel like celebrating situation? Can anyone give, as an example, a similar list of holidays for their pantheon?

I'm happy with what I'm celebrating - just curious to learn about other ways.

Oct 2012
    Religion
    pragmatic monism
    Phrase
    "Everything not forbidden is compulsory" - TH White

This site is fun: http://pagancalendar.co.uk/

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Sep 2013
    Religion
    Dievturība
    Phrase
    I live in the light and play in the dark.

Many of the holidays you celebrate now from your Christian upbringing come from pagan roots. When a holiday is approaching such as Easter or Christmas, research the pagan roots and there you have the start of your transformation into the truth of these special dates.
    My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Sep 2013
    Religion
    normitive pagan

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    I agree with this. Unless you're part of a community of practitioners, you should celebrate what has meaning to you. Different parts of the world have different natural cycles, and I think it's silly to celebrate somebody else's solstice or harvest. Personaly, I'd focus on natural energies near you that you can observe and be a part of, or any feasts specific to deities you venerate. Holidays should either be a time for family and worshipers to come together, or if you don't know anyone who shares your faith, a time to celebrate and reflect on the things that matter to you. At least, that's how I see it.
    starlight, coming from a solitary practitioner, i think you worded this beautifully. i tend to celebrate each holiday as they speak to ME. not so much as they are 'textbook defined'