Thread: Strange, Recurring Dream

Aug 2013
    Religion
    Pantheist

Strange, Recurring Dream

I have had some recurring dream elements ever since I was a teenager, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight. Iím not a terribly spiritual person, at least not when it comes to belief in the supernatural, but these dreams just keep coming, they donít seem based on anything that happened to me in my youth, and Iím running out of places to turn for answers/ideas.

Almost all of my dreams involve water. I can count the number of flying dreams I have had on one hand, but dreams that involve being in a boat or breathing underwater happen several times per week. There are three kinds of water in my dreams:

1. The still water/green water

The water itself isnít green (it is perfectly clear), but there is always a lot of plant-life and algae-like growth beneath the water. This water is always perfectly still on the surface, Iím talking a glass like, unbroken flatness that remains undisturbed not matter what passes through the water. This is the most common type of water in my dreams, and I am often in a boat when I encounter it. The boat always rides very low in the water, however, almost to the point that water is pouring over the sides.

There are often abandoned vessels like sunken boats and even planes in the water, and most of the time it seems like freshwater. Once, however, I crossed on ocean of such water and reached an island full of abandoned buildings covered in vegetative growth and crawling with giant lizards.

The fish here are normally large, prehistoric-looking creatures similar to gar or pike. As with other aquatic in my life, it never seems to pose any threat, even when they are significantly larger than me. They will swim close to me if I am wading in this water, but otherwise pay me no heed.

1. The waterfall

These dreams are extremely rare, but sometimes I dream of quickly flowing streams and violent waterfalls. Any time I dream of this type of water, there are giant carp-like fish jumping around. Unlike other aquatic life in my dreams, these fish interact with me eagerly. They are extremely playful and will often swim up to me to be petted.

1. The dark water

I first encountered this in a dream in college. I dreamt that I was scuba-diving with friends and we found a strange cave deep in the water full of colorful rocks. In the center of the cave was a cloud of dark water that we circled around to inspect. Suddenly, we caught glimpses of a large, strange shark that was swimming in the cloud. We would see a big of nose, then a fin, and a feeling of dread came over all of us when we realized how massive the beast was. I was absolutely terrified and woke up screaming.

But no one was hurt in the dream, or even directly threatened. Iíve encountered the dark water frequently since then, and I still see monstrous creatures swimming in it, but I never feel afraid now. In fact, every time I see it Iím overcome by a feeling of calm and interconnectedness that rivals any sunrise, foggy hillside or tranquil forest that Iíve seen in real life. Sometimes the black water is only a cloud in a larger body of water, but other times Iím surrounded by the black water completely. I can only see the living things in there when they are a few feet away. They are huge blind sharks, pale squid, gigantic eels, etc. They have never attempted to harm me or anyone else in the dream.

The strangest thing about this water is that it sometimes encroaches on the land. Iíll be walking somewhere when suddenly a river of it will appear beside me, and it seems boiling with the alien fish that constantly come to the surface to be viewed and just as quickly sink to be replaced by something new. There seems to be something positively primordial about it, even more so than the green water.

There was one other time that the black water frightened me. I was learning about lucid dreaming. I had already learned how to identify that I was in a dream, and from there I could change my environment. I realized that I was in a dream, and I had seen a river of the dark water appear. I thought it would be fun to change the course of the river; after all, I was always able to control my dreams once I realized that I was dreaming.

When I tried controlling the water, though, it would not obey. I could change the color of the sky, make the grass grow and shrink, but not change the water. I realize now that I have never successfully had a lucid dream where I could control any water at all, black water or otherwise. When I tried again, I suddenly heard a voice that seemed to come from every direction at once firmly say, ďNO.Ē I was terrified, and the voice seemed amused by my fear and I heard it laugh. The fear did not last long, however. The voice remained, but did not seem to mean me any genuine harm.

The voice has gained a body since then, though I canít ever see it in detail. Heís at least a head taller than I am, smells like my dadís old fishing gear, and is always just inside my peripheral vision. I canít see him directly, only out of the corner of my eye. I think others would consider him creepy, but he never harms anyone. He seems equally amused by any sort of emotion that I show, whether it is fear or love. I canít control my dreams when he is around, even if I know Iím dreaming. Iím just started calling him the fisherman. Heís mostly there when I am traveling in the water, and he only appears after Iíve reached my destination.

Anyway, I know all of this is weird and huge info dump. I have had people try to interpret the dreams for me before, but they frequently say that dreams of water mean that you are too materialistic. Thatís not me at all, and obviously there is something really unusual about the water in my dreams. I donít even know what it is Iím looking foróan explanation? Empathy? Insight?óbut I at least needed to get all of it out and see what people thought.

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Phrase
    Rawr

Re: Strange, Recurring Dream

Everyone has his / her own way of dreaming. Try to relate each type of water to the things that happend recently or on the day you woke up after having the dream- perhaps, they are connected. I can understand from your post that each type of water may represent something different.
    About the dark water- the water itself can probably represent a sort of trouble, and the man you saw can be someone you can rely on.
    The ordinary water can show that everything is going to be alright.
    And the waterfalls- usually, waterfalls represent something good, so a dream about a waterfall can tell you that a good thing is about to happen.
    These dreams are probably visions.

Aug 2013
    Religion
    Pantheist

Re: Strange, Recurring Dream

Looking back, the waterfall dreams do seem to come up whenever I have had prosperous periods in my life: marriage, new jobs, raises and reuniting with old friends. I can't think of anything that has consistently happened in my life whenever the still water and the black water appear, except that they both seem to come up in my dreams whenever I am going through some sort of spiritual exploration in my life. I'd say they began appearing around the time I started studying Taoism and became most prominent when I had started attempting lucid dreaming and was getting really serious about meditation.

I don't think the dark water is ominous, though. I have only had a handful of true tragedies in my life (for which I am grateful), and the dark water dreams never happened around then.