Hey Folks, Talk to me about Thor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Folks, Talk to me about Thor?

Ok, I know the myths, done my homework as well as I'm able, even getting down into the nitty-gritty about similarities to other beings, like the Slavic god Perun.

I want to wear a Thor's Hammer, but I feel very strongly that I should get to know Thor and Sif first. The thing I seem to be struggling with is preconceived ideas. Like last year I struggled with my issues with housekeeping and feeling like a being like Frigg would be judgmental, I have trouble not seeing Thor as, well, kind of a "bro".

Anyone have thoughts or UPG they'd like to throw my way? I know that there are a lot of people on here who respect him, feel that he's definitely the god of the "common man".
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Re: Hey Folks, Talk to me about Thor?

Something I noticed about Thor.

He is very protective of those who are close to him. He shows this by fighting ice giants and protecting Asgard. This translates to his followers, if he gets connected he will use his might to protect you.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I've never really had an "aha" moment with Thor but I have had that with Sif.

I bake my own breads and for the longest time I was trying to think of a grain goddess. Sif never entered my mind because I had this idea of her as a willowy waify creature in the fields as a sidenote of Thor and never as her own person. One day it hit me, though. All of these grains I use and purchase are of Sif's domain. Suddenly I had an image of her as a buxom stern blonde pounding dough in the kitchen and waving her pin at Magni and Modi, and then being voluptously jolly and giggling when mighty Thor pulls her into his lap when he returns home.

They are the everyday people.

Thor isn't, IMO, concerned with wyrd and manipulating events like his father and all that divine chess nonsense.He'll help a chap out in the moment and do his job as local security. Sif is providing and nurturing at the home and on the farm. That's who they are to me.

Comment

If you think though, isn't Thor limited because of Odins dabbling with wyrd? If something is fated to happen, can even Thor change it? I wonder.
        sigpic
        In Days of yore,
        From Britain's shore
        On Canada's fair domain.
        Here may it wave,
        Our boast, our pride
        The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Isn't there a myth about Odin disguising Himself as a ferryman and refusing Thor passage across a river that relates to that? I don't remember the details too well.

My only experience with Thor happened June of 2010. I'll never forget because it was the most clear instance of a deity communicating through dreams that I've ever had. At the time I was completely lost in every definition of the word. I'd always loved the runes and had been using them for years so I decided to ask them where I should look for guidance. I took my bag cast them all and literally the only rune that fell face up was Othala. I pretty much interpreted that as I should towards my ancestors for spiritual guidance. I felt kind of dirty because my ancestors are Anglo-Saxons not Hellenes. This made me feel bad because it was like I was turning my back on either my ancestors or the gods that I had been with for so long. Anyways I went to bed that night and I had an extremely vivid dream.

I was on a rocky beach on a cloudy day. I could see different stones jutting out of the ocean covered in vegetation. When I looked ahead of myself there was a big bluff with trees growing from the top. I was with a several other men who were all dressed in Viking styled armor and clothing. They were even carrying the distinctive shields. Behind us was a longboat beached and tethered to the shore to keep it from being drug back out to sea. Two of the men were digging a hole to bury a wooden chest in. I looked up towards the sky and heard a crack of thunder. The sound was so real that it woke me up and Thor's name was just ringing in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
            Isn't there a myth about Odin disguising Himself as a ferryman and refusing Thor passage across a river that relates to that? I don't remember the details too well.
            When Thor is coming home from the land of the giants and the greybeard starts being rude to Thor and obstructs his path. Thats from the Poetic Edda I think.

It is disputed whether or not the greybeard was Odin, or Loki, or who knows. There is do definitive answer.
            sigpic
            In Days of yore,
            From Britain's shore
            On Canada's fair domain.
            Here may it wave,
            Our boast, our pride
            The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I haven't read the Edda version yet but I think I first saw it in The Children of Odin. It's an older book but it was my first exposure to Norse mythology.

Comment

I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread, other than to say "THANK YOU!" - I've learned a ton I didn't know before. Example: I didn't know Sif was a goddess, and now I'm going to have to look her up. I usually refer to Hestia for all of my hearth-and-home needs, but Sif sounds like a better fit, tbh...

Mostly art.

Comment

In a sense, Thor got me started on paganism. I performed a ritual asking for inner strength, determination, and the sense to know when to stand up for myself. All things I've lacked at times. At that point, I had a pretty intense experience. What I felt may be subjective, but at the very least, there was a very real and immediate thunderstorm. It seemed to me that what I had asked for appealed to Thor, which I think says something about him.

Partially because of this, the Thor-Perun connection was the common thread in my transition from Norse polytheism, and Perun remains the central deity to my practice. I can see why some would see him as a "Bro" or a brute, but I've always told people there's more to Thor and Perun than muscle. He favors hard, stubborn willpower as well. Discipline, even. At least in my experience.
                  If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                    Ok, I know the myths, done my homework as well as I'm able, even getting down into the nitty-gritty about similarities to other beings, like the Slavic god Perun.

I want to wear a Thor's Hammer, but I feel very strongly that I should get to know Thor and Sif first. The thing I seem to be struggling with is preconceived ideas. Like last year I struggled with my issues with housekeeping and feeling like a being like Frigg would be judgmental, I have trouble not seeing Thor as, well, kind of a "bro".

Anyone have thoughts or UPG they'd like to throw my way? I know that there are a lot of people on here who respect him, feel that he's definitely the god of the "common man".
                    I think Thor is one of the deities who actually prefers to be treated like a buddy or 'bro'. He's kind of no frills, straight up, what you see is what you get, enjoy life and get on with it. We can't forget that he is three quarters Jotun... his passions are big, his appetites are big, his laughter is big, his capacity for hospitality and giving aid is big, his tempers are big... but short of being rude to him or his loved ones (or harming them), it's hard to stuff it up with Thor.

Comment

When I started I didn't care much for Thor. I had this impression he was a bully and a "guy". I was doing galdr with the uruz rune and there was Thor. Afterwards I was able to see him as a protector. Having read more stories I find Thor isn't the mindless giant killer and has Jarnsaxa as a co wife with Sif. I have come to see him as very unpretentious and I call on him for good judgement when meeting people and keeping my home safe from those who might try to take advantage of us more than physical protection. At this point I consider him part of the fertility gods I have on my altar. Lightning causes the nitrogen to be charged and fall with the rain into the soil. Sif as the goddess of wheat is somewhat fertility related too. I have both his wives on my altar for him.

Comment

So I'm pretty new to the norse Gods and Goddesses, Freyja being my first dalliance. I do wear a hammer, but that was originally to do with my hobby. As part of a viking warband, Thor is the most popular god for the warriors. As I said, I started wearing my hammer for my hobby, but then felt protected by it, found it gave me strength to carry on when I needed it.

My most recent interaction with Thor was the other day, and there's no doubting it was him. I drove to drop someone off at a train station about an hour away, and then started driving back. On the way back I could feel myself nodding off to sleep, to the point I could feel the car swerving but couldnt pull over anywhere. Just as I nodded again, an almighty flash of lightning and a massive crack of thunder happened just as I was a couple of inches away from driving into a truck. At this moment I opened the window, let the rain splash my face and the thunder and lightning continued until I was home. It felt like Thor was keeping an eye on me, and the storm was his way of keeping me awake.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                          When Thor is coming home from the land of the giants and the greybeard starts being rude to Thor and obstructs his path. Thats from the Poetic Edda I think.

It is disputed whether or not the greybeard was Odin, or Loki, or who knows. There is do definitive answer.
                          My reading of that story was that it was definitely Odin. I need to go and reread!
                          You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Maythe View Post
                            My reading of that story was that it was definitely Odin. I need to go and reread!
                            I have the Bellows translation, and all his introduction states that it's Odin, and the footnotes point to him.

Comment

Sorry to be so late returning to this, but thanks so much for thoughts everyone!

There's a lot there for me to chew on...and I'm going to need to do a bit more homework on Jarnsaxa as well, it seems.

The idea of him and protection really resonated as well...it seems stupidly obvious in retrospect, but it took reading everyone's perspectives to tie it to the issues I'm having with LDS family members right now. I feel besieged, to say the least, and hadn't thought of him in that context. Ironic, considering the evidence about why Thor's hammer pendants skyrocketed in popularity in the first place.

Anyone else who wants to add something, please do!

In the meantime, I'm going to try to focus on him, particularly on "his day". For the next bit. I think I may have just found the niche I needed to get started.
                              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                              X