How do you worship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you worship?

I have been pursuing and researching religions trying to decide which is right for me and have been drawn to paganism. I was wondering though because not all people are the same whether or not you follow a pagan sect or have a personal pantheon? Also how do you worship them?

Re: How do you worship?

I am somewhat of a beginner to the Heathen way but I try to start my day by either reading or saying Sigdrifa's prayer. I am a busy mum of 3 so time to do meditation, alter work etc is just nearly impossible in my home, but as and when I can get some time to myself I will sit and reflect. That is the good thing about Paganism, you do what feel right for you, not what you are told you must do.
    http://theheathenstudyclub.proboards.com/

Comment

I'm Kemetic. . .ish, which means I worship ancient Egyptian gods, but I have some non-Egyptian stuff thrown into the mix. Four days a week I do a morning rite (or at least I'm *supposed* to). The other three days I just offer breakfast. And then in the evening I often pour a libation. Rarely I'll do something midday. Traditionally, I should be doing something morning, noon, and night, but I just don't have the resources to do so right now.

You do what you can when it comes to worship, though some deities might ask for more of you as you get to know them. Go as slowly and methodically as you need to. The gods have been around for a long time, so there's no need to rush.
      Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

Traditionally an offering to the Gods was something of worth and value to the individual, family or community.
        So in light of that i offer money, food and burnt offerings of things I hold dear.
        In that past when I was able, I would hunt game(small and large) kill, prepare and cook it in the name of the Gods, eat a portion for myself but leave a main portion as a burned or wild offering.

Otherwise I offer myself, I take personal vows of Honour, charity, honesty and faith.

Comment

I'm a theistic Satanist. We (at least, my branch doesn't) don't worship our Gods. We just maintain a relationship of respect and love with them. I think human beings have the potential to reach the status of a God, so we shouldn't treat ourselves as inferior to them. Sometimes a God/Demon can request an offering when asked to do something or assist in a spell/ritual. But that's about it.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Wow thanks for all the great replies, very informative. Personally i find myself drawn to Asatru and other Germanic relgions but I have been meditating regularly to keep myself open.

Comment

Chastity? Didn't Asatru, Odinism, etc. envcourage sexual reproduction even for priests? My facts may be mixed up but most of what i learned the gods encouraged intercourse and as such even priests, different from many Abrahamic religions, had relationships.

Comment

Originally posted by sirz345 View Post
                Chastity? Didn't Asatru, Odinism, etc. envcourage sexual reproduction even for priests? My facts may be mixed up but most of what i learned the gods encouraged intercourse and as such even priests, different from many Abrahamic religions, had relationships.
                Is this aimed at me?

You mis-read, "Charity" not "Chastity"

Comment

Originally posted by Syrokal View Post
                  Is this aimed at me?

You mis-read, "Charity" not "Chastity"
                  Ugh, stupid mistake on my part. It was late at night when i read it.

Comment

I personally just try to revere nature when I can, praying on Esbats and Sabbats (when I remember...my schedule and my life make it kind of hard for my pagan beliefs), touching trees, feeling the rain...things like that. Sometimes I simply touch a tree when I walk by or thank the Five Classical Elements (Greek) for giving me all that I have in this physical world. It isn't a lot, but the spiritual experience makes it worth it.

Comment

I practice under the Heathen umbrella. I make daily offerings to the wights and my ancestors. I have an altar to the gods and I do prayers and offerings when pulled to. I do a lot of work and have "conversations" with Holda. Basically my talking while I do dishes or I am working. My witchcraft is sort of separate from all that.

Comment

I have been pursuing and researching religions trying to decide which is right for me and have been drawn to paganism. I was wondering though because not all people are the same whether or not you follow a pagan sect or have a personal pantheon? Also how do you worship them?
                        I don't 'worship' so much as build relationships, if that makes sense. The closest thing to worship that I do is for the deity I am sworn to, Skuld. I do regular meditative devotions and blood offerings to Her. Otherwise I devote the energy from my spinning and stitching to Her and the other Nornir. I also do trancework for contact and lessons, from Skuld and the Nornir but also from others that She sends me to. I honor and revere Her, and perform devotional works and actions from time to time.

The other deities I work with... I don't worship the Demons, I work with them. They aren't really into being worshipped. We have a mutually beneficial and respectful relationship. I give them something in return for them doing something for me, and our relationship continues. There are other deities that I work with in a similar sense, from the Northern pantheons but also from others. They ask for different things, sometimes devotional stuff, but I don't have the same sort of relationship with them as I do with Skuld.

There's also an enormous chunk of my practice that isn't directly related to deities. I work with other spirits... landvaettir, my household of spirits, ancestors... and then animal and plant guides... again that's all mutual relationship, or tap into my energy and I'll tap into yours type of stuff.

Comment

I participate in ritual practive. Keep an altar, observe the holy days, do contemplation and other various practices, but for me worship is something that is spontaneous. It is a visceral response to awe. In other words, worship happens. I may do things in honor of that which I recognize as sacred, but real worship happens when it happens, bubbles up in me and flows out when I am struck by and overcome with awe.

I can't manufacture it. So for me, it's a category apart from what I do to honor and observe my faith.

Comment

When I feel the need I talk to Spirit the same way I would to anyone else.
                            silly old man

Comment

I have to wonder if your asking about religion and the dogmatic structure of "Practicing" it and the right way to practice it or about religion and the spiritual / personal aspect of "feeling" it?

I find that when one reads about something all they discover is the "Practicing" it part of it but never understand the "Feeling" part of it thus never really understand the totality of what they've read. In many ways its almost academic in that they learn the theory of practice but never actually advance to the application / testing of theory to see if their academic knowledge is actually correct.

For me the "Practice and Theory" part is always being developed, researched and refined. The "Feeling" part evolves as I age and my relationship with and to the gods / goddesses and Spirits I work with changes and evolves. Some aspects have remained unchanged since I learnt them in my youth, others well they seem almost like underwear in that they change nearly everyday to some extent.

Other aspects are taken for granted and pass unassumed. Consider how many times one may observe a sunrise or sunset and never pause to observe the very landscape about them as it becomes so normal and routine they pay little heed to it. I pay little heed to praying to my gods / goddesses as I speak to them at all times and for many purposes. Pray becomes more special when I have a sense of them requiring something special than just praying in the hopes they will do something for me. Offerings, libations and such also depend upon what I feel and when I feel it is needed. Yet that does stand in opposition to many "Sources" but I do not wonder for it is what is right for me and how I interact with the gods / goddess.

Consider people say a common offering to Artemis are special cakes with a single candle. Yet the very ceremony / celebration that is drawn from says it was only done every 6 years not monthly or more frequently. Yet the many books reference those cakes as if they were a normal dedication offering. Hecate is noted with monthly suppers done on the 29th of each month but that is under the Roman calendar not the Greek calendar, though the Athenian calendar is the most documented calendar around. Yet such an offering is not found at Lagina nor in Thrace where her origin is suggested.

Even paganism is not a religion but an umbrella term describing many non-Abrahamic belief systems. Some earth centered others having no such concern for the planet as many would suggest or infer hearing they are "Pagan" in their beliefs. Some more political than spiritual in practice and position, others more theoretical than mystical in how they are perceived and felt but equally "Pagan" by definition. Still others more about "Right Living" than anything dealing with individual relationships to the gods / goddesses or any other Spirits or ancestors.

My heritage is Scottish / Irish so ancestors tend to play a big deal for me as a family influence but not specifically a spiritual / religious need. So stories and such are very much present in everything I do yet dinners and such in honor and memory to them are not typical aspects incorporated as a norm. I'm retired military so I tend to remember those who've fallen and many times will offer dinner or meals to their spirits at special events or holidays.

I would suggest or inquire that you ask for specifics in-regards to practicing or such for it's difficult to answer when the question is not really expressed.
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X