Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World's first in-vitro beef burger

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
    And the current beef industry standard isn't?
    The difference is expensive and absurdly expensive I think. I'm also of the opinion that we should raise alternative meat sources. Beef is both wasteful and environmentally harmful to produce, even if it is tasty
    Circe

Comment

That's the thing about technology, it gets cheaper, better, and more reliable and efficient over time. Maybe in a decade or so we can buy a vat of protein for our 3D printers for a pittance.

Press a button, get a burger. Sounds simple to me.

Protein would be easier to farm the beef... Bugs are high in protein, require much less space and resources, reproduce and reach maturity quickly, and would have a vastly smaller ecological impact.
      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Protein would be easier to farm the beef... Bugs are high in protein, require much less space and resources, reproduce and reach maturity quickly, and would have a vastly smaller ecological impact.
        Except people don't want bugs or protein. They want meat. I suggested to my dad that as a way to save money we should get cheaper proteins like beans rather than beef and he just glared at me. I suspect many people (americans at least) share a similar opinion. Personally I understand and support a method of food production that is cheap, healthy and environmentally friendly but despite this people have a preconceived notion of what protein should be and it holds us back I think.
        Circe

Comment

No, no... I'm saying we farm bugs for their protein or stem cells, which we will then make into burgers. I don't know if a burger made from bug protein would be different than a burger made of cow protein though.

If it looked and tasted like meat, people would eat it.

Edit: Apparently this is actually a thing!

From http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eati...rgers-why-not:
          Last edited by Denarius; 07 Aug 2013, 23:34.
          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

No, no... I'm saying we farm bugs for their protein or stem cells, which we will then make into burgers. I don't know if a burger made from bug protein would be different than a burger made of cow protein though.

If it looked and tasted like meat, people would eat it.

Edit: Apparently this is actually a thing!

From http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eati...rgers-why-not:
            just dont tell anyone what it's made of I guess. That could work really though. I mean think of all the crap in our meat these days. If that can be hidden then something like this should be easy, at least until they get used to the idea.
            Circe

Comment

Soylent Green is INSEEEEEEECTS!

Comment

I think this is interesting. I'm vegetarian, and my thing is 'don't eat any animal that has died'. So technically this in-vitro beef would be, by my standards, vegetarian. But I won't eat it. Firstly, why bother being vegetarian if you spend all the time looking for fake meats etc. It ain't natural. I'm not going to eat things that aren't natural. And it cannot be good for the environment. I don't eat meat because the way we produce it is unsustainable and not particularly good for the environment. In the same way I avoid soy products, especially processed soy. And in-vitro beef fits this category in my opinion.
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                  And it cannot be good for the environment.
                  When we are talking about consumption, it's not a matter of what is good because nothing is. It's purely a matter of degrees of badness. Mass scale agriculture is not good for the environment either. If we're going to come up with a system to feed ourselves with the least negative environmental impact we need this kind of research.

Most likely it's going to be a matter of finding the right mix of production methods while managing our consumption. However, the truest problem here is our population and mercantile systems.

Comment

Yeah I totally agree with you Denarius. My big problem is the way the land is used. Fair enough where I live masses of sheep and cattle are farmed, but that's because it's practically a desert here, and that's all you can produce (at 1 sheep every 2 hectares often, but you won't get any grain at all). But down in the south, they would be getting a lot more food out of producing vegetables, grains and legumes, than milk. It's frustrating.

In general humans frustrate me. The population frustrates me most I think. And where our money goes. *sigh*
                    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                    Seen the desert and the birds
                    You cut your hair short
                    Like a shush to an insult
                    The world had been yelling
                    Since the day you were born
                    Revolting with anger
                    While it smiled like it was cute
                    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment