X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you feel about getting old?

I'm old and bold and spicy and sweet.
    I stay looking young by the blood of fresh meat.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

The process of ageing is a fascinating thing for me. Being only 25 I still have a ways to go before I can consider myself "ageing" but I can already feel the clock ticking just that little bit louder than it did when I was 21. I often look at elderly people and wonder what I will be like when I am at their age, what will I have experienced, what story will I have to tell? I think it will be an interesting journey.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm 31 right now. So I still have a while to go before i'm considered 'old.' However, every birthday I wonder what I can do each year to change myself before the next year.
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

The further away I get from being a teenager the better I feel

Comment

I'm enjoying it, as long as I don't read magazines that tell me I have to keep looking like I'm 22. I'm 38 now, and I feel and look better than I did at 28.

Now, I've seen family get "old" young by choice; I'm watching mom be ravaged by cancer because she ignored symptoms and ignored seeking treatment when it would have been far more effective...but this isn't caused by "old". Most of this was caused by just neglect and giving up -- at least in these cases.

I just think of a guy like Stephen Hawking, trapped in his chair since he was young, who is a tremendously arrogant prick but still manages to live his life and do his thing. I think about Joseph Campbell talking about how once you found out what life means to you and you've lived, you can sit back and look at your body falling apart and be okay with it.

I want to try to hang on to what I have while I can, treat the body I have as well as I can but still allowing for life and beer and chocolate and just hang the hell on.

It's going to be what its going to be. No point to me in freaking out over the inevitable.

Comment

My body is currently failing - both shoulders are ion constant pain, and I can barely lift a sack of feed. I'm OK with that - it happens. But my brain is giving me trouble, and that I am not OK with that...

The entire world exists in your brain. When that goes, so goes the world.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                The entire world exists in your brain. When that goes, so goes the world.
                While I agree with this, I wonder if I have a unique perspective that this potential eventuality doesn't worry me so much either.

My uncle is both autistic and mentally retarded with the mental capacity of your average 6-7 year old child. His brain is clearly not working at the level mine is, yet he is a generally happy and content person.

I could end up there too, and that's okay. It's still nothing I can control in the end.

"The physical body is a combination of the five elements. It is perceived by the physical eye only after the five elements have entered into such combination. After death the body disintegrates and all the five elements return to their source. The body cannot be perceived now. It can be perceived only in the middle state. He who understands the nature of the body and human relationships based upon it will not grieve." ~ Sri Swami Sivananda

Comment

Im frightened about my future. I am 20 with an almost 3 year old. She will be an adult when I'm in my mid 30's. I'm not sure what life has in store for me. Right now I feel rushed to have a career, take care of my child ect. But then...when shes an adult and I'm say 36... I'm not even half way done life. Where do I go? What do I do? Im afraid of death.

Since discovering paganism and rebirth I am beginning to not be afraid as much and I hope (its my goal) that by the time my child is 18 I will no longer be afraid of old age or death in any matter. I hope to look forward to being an elder and teaching my great grandchildren about the god and godess about how the world used to be, how the forest used to look, what polar bears were ect. I hope I will have a long life, and see many generations.

Comment

Originally posted by Sondst View Post
                    Im frightened about my future. I am 20 with an almost 3 year old. She will be an adult when I'm in my mid 30's. I'm not sure what life has in store for me. Right now I feel rushed to have a career, take care of my child ect. But then...when shes an adult and I'm say 36... I'm not even half way done life. Where do I go? What do I do? Im afraid of death.

Since discovering paganism and rebirth I am beginning to not be afraid as much and I hope (its my goal) that by the time my child is 18 I will no longer be afraid of old age or death in any matter. I hope to look forward to being an elder and teaching my great grandchildren about the god and godess about how the world used to be, how the forest used to look, what polar bears were ect. I hope I will have a long life, and see many generations.
                    If its any consolation, you'll be younger than I am right now when your daughter is 18. I don't feel old at all. My daughter is also about to be three in 2014. I'll be 53 when she's 18.

Comment

Eh. I'm a young adult. So I'm not too worried right now.
                      I am a woman in a mans body and I hate being in the wrong body. I want out of this body. It's like a prison cell.

I used to be known as AdamKane in these parts.

Hail Satan.

Comment

I never look at life as I'm getting older but in the changes that I am going through. I am retiring in the next 4 weeks from a career that I spent my whole life building. Now I am starting over with new goals; a school that I am co-owner of, a farm business, my horse training, I've got new causes that I'm into; the community center and all the new community projects that go with it, the local fire department and emergency services and having to work with FEMA again (Yay!!! <said sarcastically>). It doesn't really go through my head too much about getting older. Then I come from a family where we take care of our elderly. I still go over to the aunties (the older women of the community) a couple times a week to help out or to bring things that are needed. I know that my nephews and nieces are there to help me when I need them. Strangely, I just don't feel old, even though the collar bone that was broke by a horse a few years back aches when the rain is coming (just another way I connect to the energies around me) or I don't heal quite as fast as I once did when I fall of the hay wagon...it's just something new to work with.

Now death...I'm not too worry about it. I'm going to live forever, or die trying.

Comment

When we are a small children under 10 , we want to get older and when we passed 40 we want the time to stop and not want to get older. So it all depends on the current age of a person.
                          Martina Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by MartinaHarrison View Post
                            When we are a small children under 10 , we want to get older and when we passed 40 we want the time to stop and not want to get older. So it all depends on the current age of a person.
                            But how do *you* feel about getting old?

"We" already know how "we" feel.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I'm not upset about getting old. With age comes maturity. I'm 31 right now and when I was younger I was so immature. Even in my 20's I was immature. So I am glad that I am growing older. I know that one day we die, but I am not afraid of dying, because I know I have been as kind to people as I can. I guess that is my feelings on it.
                              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

It terrifies me. Not aging in and of itself, but becoming a burden, losing my independence, and not being able to do the things I love. That's no life, and I hope I'm either in really good shape throughout my life, or I don't make it to the point where I'm decrepit and useless. I'm really trying to make fitness a priority because of that.

Comment

Working...
                                X