Pagan Book Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan Book Recommendations

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I didn't see it anywhere.

I'm honestly fairly new to paganism and wondered what books you could recommend on any branches of paganism in general. My belief system is certainly not well-established, so I would really like absolutely anything you guys think would be a good suggestion, from magic to theology.

Also, if there is an active thread on this, sorry for re-posting, and I'd appreciate if you'd let me know.

Thanks

Re: Pagan Book Recommendations

Tons, though how useful they will be is dependent on what kind of subject matter you're interested in.

For an overview book, Where To Park Your Broomstick (by Lauren Manoy) is fantastic, though it's marketed to teens. It tells you up front that it's just going to touch on a lot of things and expects you to research things deeper.

For Shamanism, I like Singing The Soul Back Home (by Caitlin Matthews). Not only does she have interesting ideas and gets the reader engaged with exercises, she tells you from eh beginning that they WILL NOT make you a shaman. That kind of honesty is refreshing.

The best Tarot book I've found isn't really for beginner's it's more intermediate, but it teaches the reader how to view the card symbols as a language telling a story and can be applied to most decks out there. 78 Degrees of Wisdom is by Rachel Pollack.

Energy Work! Anything by Mantak Chia would be my suggestion. It's Taoist based, but I found that it worked well regardless of one's path.

Heathenry, well THAT is a huge kettle of fish and has more to do with reading mythology than anything else. Get your hands on the Eddas and Sagas. It's out of print now, but if you can find it, Teutonic Religion has the basics of heathen practice. It's by Kveldulf Gunersson and has some controversy around it. Honestly though, all heathenry books do since we have scant historical information to work from.

Witchcraft, wow, okay, that really comes down to what KIND you're looking for. If you're new, just promise me one thing: Stay AWAY from anything by Silver Ravenwolf. If you want to read her stuff later, fine, but get something solid information and practice under your belt first.

Other stuff. Two books on Electic Paganism that I really enjoyed (and which were something other than the usual 101 rehash) was A Charmed Life and its follow up An Enchanted Life by Patrica Telesco.

Hopefully these help, but it would be a lot easier if you could give a more specific idea of what you're wanting to learn.
    "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Thanks for the information, I would connect the Kane chronicles (by Rick Riordan) to the Kemetism. The three books give much information about the religion, though it is addressed to teenagers.
      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Wow! Nice recommendations. I needed to find a book.
        "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

I have an entire book list of recommending reading!
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

For kids I would highly recommend d'Aulaire's book of Greek myths, and d'Aulaire's book of Norse myths if you're into those pantheons. They were my favorites as a kid .
            hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Working...
            X