Should i consider getting a mentor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should i consider getting a mentor?

So i've classified myself as pagan for the last 7 or 8 years, in that time ive gone from wiccen and multiple other paths to find the one that stuck for me. everything has been a constant stream of learning and discovering, till recently. i find myself at a spiritual deadend/crossroads i dunno, I feel a pull to get more into the divine side of it and yet i have no clue which god/godess calls me, i dunno what to study. no path of study shoats out to me any longer.

so should i consider getting a mentor, or do you think would be something i have to figure out on my own?

Re: Should i consider getting a mentor?

First of all, try to determine youself the purpose of your religion, and what it should be like.
    Then, you can decide what path fits you most.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

A mentor will bring in their views and opinions. Screw that.

Use yours, keep searching. Try different things, look places you haven't yet.

Also, trying calling out to the deities instead of waiting for them, this is how I found Odin.
      White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
      sigpic
      In Days of yore,
      From Britain's shore
      Wolfe the dauntless hero came
      And planted firm Britannia's flag
      On Canada's fair domain.
      Here may it wave,
      Our boast, our pride
      And joined in love together,
      The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

You can if you like. But you and your mentor might see differently on things. And you don't want your mentor's experiences. You want yours.
        "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

I think that a mentor is more useful if you know what path you are looking towards--for example, if you knew that Feri was interested you, a Feri teacher would be the way to go (also, necessary for initiation). But, not knowing...then, no...I don't think it would get you any closer to what you are looking for.

I disagree with the notion that a mentor would keep you from having your own experiences or that they having their own views and opinions is a bad thing...someone that has had the experiences of a particular tradition is often the best person to guide someone else through their own experiences...also, just because you get someone else's view doesn't mean you have to keep it for yourself. And there are benefits to having a mentor (or just taking a class)---the externals tend to keep you on task, and to push you forward when you are in the rut.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Were I in your position (and not too long ago, I was), I would strike out on my own. Mentors are nice once you have some idea of where you're going, who you're worshipping, etc.

Read, read, read, and read some more. Read myths. Read about various ancient religions. Read other people's blogs. Read forums. And along the way, ask yourself, "what rings true to me? Is there any name or idea that jumps out and grabs me?"
            Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

I would say the answer to your question lies in how you define the word mentor? Sounds silly I suppose but I've heard the word used so often then when the person defines what they actually want it's not a mentor but more of a person to tell them what they want to hear.

I've had mentors and guides over the years who come and go as the need for them comes and goes as I walk my path. I think thats one aspect of the path-walk that never changes, ie the teacher will come when the student is ready. Some have been nothing more than a companion to speak to as I question things. Many times not telling me or guiding me but simply listening to me and many times re-formatting my own words back at me so they come from a different perspective but mine none the less. Other's who did nothing more than tell me of their own struggles and efforts to find things and give me idea's or let me know I am not alone nor am I experiencing something strange and unusual for nearly everyone else undergoes it as well.

When one is eclectic I do not think a mentor really works for there is nothing to guide you to or inspire you to. In that case it seems a companion who walks the same type pathway is more of a need than a mentor. Usually I see the notion of a mentor most often used within ceremonial / high magics or initiation based practices along with the structured dogma of those pathways. As such I tend to find mentors most useful when one is in an initiatory type practice with well defined goals and stages of progression. The mentor serves to judge your progress, motivate when things start to sour or one begins to question. Inspire via stories, analogies and tales of their walk and progress and how their mysteries have changed them, and to some degree how they will inspire you as their mentee (is that a word?). That and have an obligation to the group, etc to ensure they are preparing their charge to pass any and all requirements of their path-walk.

I sometimes think the desire for a mentor is a hold over from the Christian influence so many originate from as it has a pretty established mentor base via the Bible and the Church structure to guide, inspire and even punish or correct if needed. As such you really do not have to rely upon ones own internal drive and determination to find what they seek. So when those on a pagan / heathen pathway encounter periods of stagnation or uncertainty they ask for a mentor / guide to tell them what to do which is what the Christian pathway tends to do for them but not the pagan / heathen pathways.

People tell you to read, study and analyze but I tend to think one has to turn inwards and get to know themselves and what they really want before they can find the god / goddess or Spirit that will reveal itself to them. Otherwise you don't really connect with a god / goddess you just find something you think you like and find yourself back at the same point a few days, weeks, months or years later asking the same thing again because you never asked yourself what you actually want or why.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
              X