Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else notice the harvest moon tonight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else notice the harvest moon tonight?

Well, I step outside for a cigarette, and as I say to myself as I light it up, "This will be the last one for tonight," the cherry lights up and I take a drag. The smoke goes up and I see it in the moonlight. Wait a minute, is that smoke, orange? I take a look up at the moon, and there sitting before me, is a harvest moon. I have never been so gifted as to feel energies around me, but after practicing it for a while I still couldn't help but to wonder why it didn't seem so obvious. Maybe it was because it wasn't a perfect harvest moon, but either way, I'm just making up excuses. I must need more practice, I can surely interpret things that are spelled out in front of me, but I can hardly feel when someone else has touched my tarot deck, I have to pay attention to the weight and that's all I have to go by, so maybe I should pay a bit more attention!

Did you folks happen to notice the pretty sight tonight? Things like this affect me, and when i start to fall away from my faith it comes crashing back into me, and I love it!

And now, I'm off to have another, "last one for tonight," as my last one seems to never be my last one

Re: Anyone else notice the harvest moon tonight?

I've never heard of that being called a harvest moon. It's my understanding that harvest moon refers to the full moons near Mabon and Samhein since the light would allow farmers to work into the night harvesting crops when they would otherwise need to stop at sunset.
    I did notice the moon seemed odd tonight but it wasn't really orange. I attributed it to the clouds rolling in and pollution. Still sounds cool! I'm almost totally sure it's an atmospheric phenomenon rather than something cosmic.

edit: it's caused by refraction of different light waves by dust particles. Apparently the moon is very likely appear orange/red during the harvest time (hence harvest moon) due to there being more dust in the atmosphere in association with seasonal changes. The reason for the dust is theorized to be brought by seasonal winds. Alternatively t can be caused any time of year by pollution or local dust storms
    Last edited by Corvus; 18 Aug 2013, 00:49.
    Circe

Comment

Re: Anyone else notice the harvest moon tonight?

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
      I've never heard of that being called a harvest moon. It's my understanding that harvest moon refers to the full moons near Mabon and Samhein since the light would allow farmers to work into the night harvesting crops when they would otherwise need to stop at sunset.
      I did notice the moon seemed odd tonight but it wasn't really orange. I attributed it to the clouds rolling in and pollution. Still sounds cool! I'm almost totally sure it's an atmospheric phenomenon rather than something cosmic.

edit: it's caused by refraction of different light waves by dust particles. Apparently the moon is very likely appear orange/red during the harvest time (hence harvest moon) due to there being more dust in the atmosphere in association with seasonal changes. The reason for the dust is theorized to be brought by seasonal winds. Alternatively t can be caused any time of year by pollution or local dust storms
      yes I would agree that this is the traditional thought of the true harvest moon. However, it's always been the way it's been described to me. The color refers to the angle of which the sun is beginning to go off kilter to the earth and a sign that the winter months are coming and that harvest should begin. Thus it is called a "harvest moon," the harvest moon you refer to is the traditional one. Which is not wrong either. Either way you call it, it's always very pretty!

Comment

Working...
      X