What did you think of The Conjuring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did you think of The Conjuring?

I don't want to bias any replies, so I won't give my opinion yet. But what did you think of The Conjuring?
    OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
    The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
    Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Re: What did you think of The Conjuring?

My ex adored it and I've generally heard it was amazing from my friends however I've heard of one person saying it was predictable and based on that not as scary as it could have been. Personally I haven't had the chance to see it yet but I would really love to (no one will come with me and I just can't go to the movies alone).
    Circe

Comment

We went to see Elysium last night and somehow got tickets to this movie instead. We didn't notice until the movie started. My boyfriend didn't want to see it, so we got a refund and went home, but I'm kind of curious now.

Comment

Ok. I'll go ahead and respond. SPOILERS for The Conjuring ahead...

It seems that everyone I know who's watched this movie likes it at least pretty well. But, although I typically love horror movies, I'm just not a fan.

The music was pretty good. So was the cinematography. And, although I'm not sure how challenged they were for this movie, there were at least three excellent actors in the cast. But I got stuck when we learned about the witch. Aren't we past this? Do we really believe that it's more likely that a witch from the Renaissance cursed the property than some corrupt judge or malicious goodwife? Didn't our society recognize the merit of The Crucible? Why is it still so easy to just accept the premise that the source of things that go bump in the night is pagan (or even just counter-cultural) in origin?

Then again, am I being too judgmental? Should I have appreciated it as a period piece from a time when this was a more accepted explanation (at least, I hope so)? Should I have just shrugged and said, "Well, not all witches are evil" or is there still not enough of a cultural archetype of the benevolent witch for most people to say that?

Anyway, opinions are welcome. I don't plan to get a copy, and I'm glad I didn't actually pay to see it. But I'd still like to hear other points of view.
        OO

Comment

And, in the last couple of weeks, I've also watched The Lords of Salem and The Wicked. Yeah, our society still definitely has a problem with witches - and apparently not just the Christians.
          OO

Comment

it is really disappointing to hear. its true. in terms of acceptance sometimes it seems that it is too much to ask of others to respect our non mainstream beleifs.
            but who are they to judge and make movies condemning us.
            maybe what makes these movies scary... is setting a seen of a witch? painting an idea that all witches are satanic?

Comment

:^^: My Spiritual Journey blog: An Eclectic Wonderland :^^:

Comment

I think, based on the trailer, it looks silly and predictable. I won't be wasting my time.
                "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Working...
                X