Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The image of the "Hero" in myth and in history.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The image of the "Hero" in myth and in history.

Just a little question and perhaps some discussion.

In our history and in our myth there is always some "Image" of the "Hero",the one who always does good.

Now the question is this: Is there truly such a thing as a "Hero"? Sometimes people do good things with no concern for their own safety, and sometimes people do not act in this way. Is the person that did indeed help when they might have looked away a real hero?

In life we are faced with our own mortality every day,and how does someone become able to rise above their own need and safety to save another?

Do you see yourself at times as a reluctant hero? Do you wonder what you would do in an emergency?

So the question becomes What would you do?

Be honest in your answers,and think about the reality not what you think you might do.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Circe

Comment

Re: The image of the "Hero" in myth and in history.

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
      In our history and in our myth there is always some "Image" of the "Hero",the one who always does good.
      I can't agree with that statement since looking at the myths shows that heroes are very flawed (Beowulf comes to mind). They are not heroes because they "always do good". Rather they are heroes because they "do good" when it would be easier not to. And they are heroes in spite of their flaws. Often times they need to become heroes because of a mess of their own making.
      "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Interesting point. Indeed most of us humans(more like all) have very deep flaws,and that mainly in dealing with our own emergency's. I myself know I am not a hero,perhaps I might step up sometime,but I can not really say I could be the true image of a hero.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I will always see the Hero in Joseph Campbell's turn.

There is a Crisis, a Departure from Humanity, an Initiation, and a Return as Selfless Benefactor.

The Hero may not be a good, altruistic person when he or she is called to adventure. Sometimes, many times, they are a selfish, egotistical ass. They break stuff, they make fun of old people, they terrorize their parents. Then, Something happens that forces them to leave their regular lives behind. They are no longer the Carpenter, the Farmer, the Unruly Princess - they have to go on an Adventure. They will face many Trials, and will have to use more than charm and brute muscle to pass those Tests. Eventually, the Initiate will be faced with his or her own Mortality. He or She may even Die, or the Self that they knew will be stripped away to bare bone, and they will have to be Rebuilt from scratch into the Hero. He or She will return home, to their origin story, Triumphant, and he or she will understand that the needs of the Many must come before the needs of the one - but the Hero is also Whole enough to not be subsumed by the Many.

It's the process of growing up, the id and ego giving way to the super-ego (if you want to get Freudian about it), of developing a sense of interconnectedness with the world around us. I think we've largely abandoned the Hero's lessons, and a good part of why we have 30-something children is because there is no concrete mythology to help people pass into new stations in life. We need more Adventures, Initiations and Triumphant Homecomings and fewer reality tv shows.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
          X