Mary Magdaline the Apostle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary Magdaline the Apostle?

So, the more I learn about the Bible, read it, and research its history, the more I'm convinced that Mary Magdalene was one of the apostles.

Note that I'm not talking about the DaVinci code stuff about if she and Jesus were an item, start a different thread if you want to ship them.

But with her as an apostle, it definitely would change how modern Christianity views and perceives women. After all, if Mary was not just a follower, but one of Jesus' most trusted disciples, who was shoved under the rug after his death by patriarchal history... It changes the role of women in the church immensely, not just in a "we've grown smarter over time way," but in a, "women should have had an equal role in the church this whole time!" way which would make the subjugation of women by the church an even clearer corruption of Jesus' teaching. (then again, I already thought it was clear... But its still contested, so oh well.)

Mary Magdalene has suffered many many smear campaigns throughout history, the most notable being the idea that she was a prostitute, which while I don't think would make her less of a person, as the argument is clearly trying to do, is entirely made up later and not based anywhere in the Bible or even early apocrypha!

So was Mary Magdalene and intelligent woman Jesus brought in as a disciple maligned through history? I think so... What about you?
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Re: Mary Magdaline the Apostle?

The Gnostics thought so - there are a couple of texts from the Nag Hammadi library that name her as "special." Of course, there is also The Gospel of Judas, which makes Judas "special" as well.

I have no personal opinion on the matter, though, not being a Christian & all.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

One of the titles frequently bestowed on Mary Magdalene is "Apostle to the Apostles". The risen Christ met with her before his male apostles and sent her to inform them of his resurrection. She's one of the more important figures in the New Testament even if various figures like to forget it.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Interesting thoughts... Is there an apocryphal gospel of Mary anywhere?
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
          Yes there is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Mary (Wikipedia isn't my favourite source, but it was the bast on-line one I could come up with in a hurry.)

For those more interested in a book look here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Gospels-Ma.../dp/006083451X
          Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Cool as. Cheers for that. Why isn't it canon? I should just go read huh :P
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I think what would be really useful for this discussion is if someone explained what exactly makes one an Apostle. Then we can determine if she's an Apostle or not!
              [4:82]

Comment

Maybe?

Probably?
                There is some debate as to which Mary its actually about.

- - - Updated - - -

I hate getting Ninja'd XD

- - - Updated - - -

Cool as. Cheers for that. Why isn't it canon? I should just go read huh :P
                Short answer? Written somewhere between 120-180 AD. The stuff written later is pretty much all non-canonical.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                I think what would be really useful for this discussion is if someone explained what exactly makes one an Apostle. Then we can determine if she's an Apostle or not!
                Apostles were chosen by Jesus to spread his love and message around. They were people specifically chosen and entrusted by him with that work, rather than people who took it on themselves.

Comment

I'm a Ninja

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                  Short answer? Written somewhere between 120-180 AD. The stuff written later is pretty much all non-canonical.
                  Weird because the gosple of Mary is supposed to lie within that timeframe . But then Christianity isn't my strongest suit I admit. And this was after all the short answer.

For more on the aformentioned gosple: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/gospelmary.html
                  Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
                    I'm a Ninja

Weird because the gosple of Mary is supposed to lie within that timeframe . But then Christianity isn't my strongest suit I admit. And this was after all the short answer.

For more on the aformentioned gosple: http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/gospelmary.html
                    Not weird at all? I was saying what time frame it was written in.... Its part of "the stuff written later".

Comment

Many "Books" from the very early days of Christian belief have been purged and excluded because they did not fit the "Dogma" that the early "State run christian control" could use to build their power base.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                      X