Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Wicca path

hey i am looking for a wicca path and a teacher
    hopefully someone to show me the ropes, and someone who will let me research for myself aswell.

Re: Looking for a Wicca path

Wicca is one of the most popular sections of paganism. Wicca is loosely based on old celtic paganism but borrows from multiple different faiths. Practitioners of Wicca worship the Goddess and God, who are titled the Lord and Lady. Worship in Wicca is centered around the mother goddess and the horned god who embody the concepts in nature. Some wiccans believe that all other gods and goddess found throughout the world are different aspects or reflections of the true god and goddess. The Goddess is associated with the moon and one of her symbols is the triple moon (it's on the banner for the forum actually, it's not exclusively a Wiccan symbol either). The Symbol of the God is an upward facing crescent on a circle and he is associated with the Sun. The God dies every fall only to be reborn in the spring from the Goddess. Different traditions assign certain dates from the wheel of the year to each his birth, impregnation of the Goddess and death. The dynamic of the sacrificial God and eternal Goddess is found in many ancient cultures.

Wiccans follow the wheel of the year system of holidays. This means they consider the Sabbaths and Esbats holy days. They are Yule (midwinter:winter solstice), Imbolc (spring start: spring equinox), Ostara (Easter: the days become longer symbolizing the conquest of light over dark), Beltane (Mayday), Lammas (midsummer: summer solstice), Mabon (autumnal equinox), Samhein (Halloween: pronounced Sow-in). Different sacrifices are made on these days. Many choose to do personal rituals with the Lord and Lady. The wheel of the year is very focused about the solar and lunar cycles as well as the interactions between light and dark throughout the year. In some sects the wheel of the year is represented by the Oak and Holly Kings who are aspects of the God and represent light and darkness respectively. Because the lunar cycle is tied to the Goddess some consider the full moons to be holy days, these are esbats.

The wiccan rede is a long poem about how wiccans should behave in their practice and every day life. It is most famous for a single line "an it harm none, do as ye will" which means wiccans must not bring harm to anyone whenever possible. The rede also describes how to cast a circle and some other ritually things. It can be found here . Your personal interpenetration of the rede will be vital to your practice of Wicca.
    Other texts in Wicca are the "Charge of the Goddess" and "Charge of the God" which are poems about the lord and lady. They can be found here and here . Neither are truly vital to Wicca but many consider them beautiful pieces of poetry in admiration to the God and Goddesss.

An important note that may be off topic is that Wicca and Witchcraft are not the same thing. Wicca is a religion while witchcraft is a practice. You don't need to be a Wiccan to practice witchcraft nor do you need to practice witchcraft if you are Wiccan.

Also "Wicca" is the name of the religion. If you practice "Wicca" you are a "Wiccan", not a Wicca.
    Circe

Comment

Pfft, become a Satanist, we have way more cookies than Wiccan's do. But yeah, Corvus is absolutely right. Now, I don't recommend having and online teacher. Sure, experienced Wiccans can give you insights, advice, and stuff. But if you're looking for a mentor, I'd recommend one in your area, and if there is none, find a coven that takes beginners, and if there are none, well I guess you can rely on the internet then.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Convus is basically right in his writings, aside from Wiccans not having to practice witchcraft. "Wicca" comes from medieval old English and it was originally used to mean "A wizard or man who practices witchcraft or magic". So, a Wicca was a male witch. It was pronounced more like "Wicha" in those days. When we first came upon the word, we did not know its true pronunciation, so.... It became pronounced "Wicca".

Second, Gerald Gardner the "Founding Father" of Wicca used the words "Witch" "Witchcraft" "Wica" (Yes, spelt that way) interchangeably. The religion he "Found" was based off of the English Witchcraft covens he had found in his area.

So, it is reasonable to say that all Wiccans are Witches, but not all Witches are Wiccans.

Comment

thanks heaps for the info

Comment

Working...
          X