A sort of water baptism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A sort of water baptism

When I was a new Christian, I had two total immersion baptisms. One done as a ceremony by my church and one with a friend we did on our own in my backyard pool. Its the second kind I'd like to mimic. It was simple and impromptu, done as we felt led. I feel called to do a baptism in the ocean at sunrise or midday. It would be a gesture affirming nature's place in my spirituality and signifying a pivotal point in my faith. Kind of like starting over. It would be different from a Christian baptism with less emphasis on forgiveness and more emphasis on oneness. It would be similar in that it's a putting away of old things and living out something new. Has anyone done something like this? Tell me about your experience.
    Last edited by Azvanna; 30 Aug 2013, 13:18.

Re: A sort of water baptism

I am not near an ocean, but i have "reaffirmed" myself to the elements a few times at the shore of our local lake. (usually in the summer, for convenience)
    We make a big bond-fire on the beach and enjoy a day/evening of friendship, food and beach fun. Soaking up the elements and enjoying the blessings of the day.
    once it's dark and quiet, (we usually try to do this during a new moon) we wade into the lake and formally speak about how connected we are with each element, surrounded and blessed by them. Being eclectic, I usually ask for blessings from the elements, and the God/Goddess. I also might ask for blessing from any specfic God/Goddess i'm working with at the moment.
    My husband, being agnostic, doesn't ask for anything specific, but does voice his thanks to "everything" for what we have.
    My best friend, who follows a Greek path talks to specific gods/natural beings she would like to connect with.
    AND her husband who is very atheist simply enjoys a midnight swim with friends

I know what I'm describing is a lot different than the christian baptism, but it's sorta similar, kinda..

Comment

I know shinto has a particular ritual where, I believe one stands under a waterfall and that acts as a sort of purification rite. I'd be interested in trying something like that, but just for me personally I'd hesitate calling a water cleansing a baptism, because that reminds me of the whole "you're burying your old person and coming alive in christ" kind of thing.

Comment

Yep, from talking to you some, I understand the hesitation. Thanks for replying, the both of you What is it about the Shinto ritual that draws you so, Toxic? What do you see as the main difference between a purification right and a baptism? Also IndigoSkye, your reaffirmation sounds so nice.. what you are describing sounds like kinship between friends ^.^ You are blessed to have friends such as these. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. You gave me some things to think about.

Comment

While I'm not tremendously knowledgeable on the subject, I see a purification rite as something that could mark sort of an experience to further me spiritually, and connect with the universe around me at the same time. Unlike baptism, you aren't necessarily leaving behind your past self and starting a journey of becoming something totally different, but rather you're taking a step down a path which doesn't have to be defined so rigidly. And even if I weren't to do it with Shinto in mind, it still, somehow feels like an amazing experience. I'm finding it a hard time to put it into better words, though.

Comment

I've done this in waterfalls. More than once. Not so much as a conversion, or cleansing thing, but more as a ritual observance or "declaration" of my beliefs. It's a place where pretty obviously all the elements are together, stone, air, water, fire (Sun).

So, if I can safely put myself under a waterfall, I do.

Comment

Working...
            X