Demons, shadow people, imps, etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demons, shadow people, imps, etc...

I recently watched the movie "The Conjouring" and decided to do some research involving the actual case and what I've read has lead me to believe that the haunt was not necessarily a demon however it also got me to thinking, is actual demonic possession something occurs regularly? Is there a way to prevent it? Is there a way to prevent any darker entity from latching itself on to you? simply by being afraid of these entities, can you call one to you? and What is everyone's general beliefs regarding these darker entities?

Re: Demons, shadow people, imps, etc...

Demonic possession is a rare phenomena if it actually occurs. Attachments by negative energy/spirits/people are more common but are not possessions.
    Shielding, protective spells and a healthy body and mind can dissuade negative spirits from attaching to you.
    If being afraid of something made it appear then the world would rain spiders and clowns would grow on trees. You can call entities but doing it on accident isn't likely unless it was already there.
    General belief regarding these dark entities? which ones? Demons, shadow people, imps are all different classes of entity. Just because something is dark, it does not mean it is evil. You should recognize that the darkness is as vital as the light.

I've yet to see the conjuring (but I hear it's amazing!) however I would suggest you not put stock in Hollywood interpretations of the supernatural.
    Circe

Comment

I like that answer a lot.

Comment

Do I believe in such entities? Yes, without a doubt. I have a very deep, abiding belief in the supernatural.

But for two reasons, I believe true possession is extremely rare. One, I believe that they are powerful and independent in their own right. I don't believe they have much need to possess a human. And two, I believe in the sacredness of every person and that the only power any entity has over us, is the power we give them. So being extremely afraid could potentially open a door to them because to be that afraid, you have to essentially have faith in their ability to possess you and that gives them power. Even if they had the opportunity to posses you, why would they? Our bodies aren't meant to contain that kind of... power, and essentially aren't that strong. We're limited in ways that would make their use of us.. puny. Small scale, local destruction? A possibility, maybe. Oversetting the balance to their side, through possession of a single person? Not really.

An example? A lot of people are afraid of being possessed by a Ouija board (or the entity communicating through it), especially if they use it alone. I see them as a tool to communicate, though one I rarely use because I just don't feel the need anymore. I've used one alone in the past on a few occasions. I'm not afraid of them, I don't believe they are a doorway to my soul, and entry into my body. And I've never been afraid of being possessed by/through one. I simply don't give whatever I'm communicating to that power, that opening.

I hope I explained that well..
        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
          Ouija board (or the entity communicating through it), especially if they use it alone. I see them as a tool to communicate, though one I rarely use because I just don't feel the need anymore. I've used one alone in the past on a few occasions. I'm not afraid of them, I don't believe they are a doorway to my soul, and entry into my body. And I've never been afraid of being possessed by/through one. I simply don't give whatever I'm communicating to that power, that opening.
          I cannot explain how much I hate ouija boards. It's like trying to hold a conversation using two rusty cans connected with twine. It's rough at best and at worst you'll cut your ear. They are a tool and it makes no more sense to be afraid of it than to be afraid of a hammer but as far as tools go the thing is crappy. I just don't like them. Add in that people using them rarely do any kind of defense and it makes them much worse to use. I'd highly doubt you'd get possessed but there is a possibility for energy to collect or something else.
          Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
            I cannot explain how much I hate ouija boards. It's like trying to hold a conversation using two rusty cans connected with twine. It's rough at best and at worst you'll cut your ear. They are a tool and it makes no more sense to be afraid of it than to be afraid of a hammer but as far as tools go the thing is crappy. I just don't like them. Add in that people using them rarely do any kind of defense and it makes them much worse to use. I'd highly doubt you'd get possessed but there is a possibility for energy to collect or something else.
            Pretty much. I never thought of that particular analogy, but it's a good one. I didn't tend to get very good information from them anyway. I felt more like the conversation was, "Let's pull the silly human's leg and see what kind of reaction we get. Aren't we hilarious?" But... sorry, that's kinda a derail.
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevermore_2008 View Post
              I recently watched the movie "The Conjouring" and decided to do some research involving the actual case and what I've read has lead me to believe that the haunt was not necessarily a demon however it also got me to thinking, is actual demonic possession something occurs regularly? Is there a way to prevent it? Is there a way to prevent any darker entity from latching itself on to you? simply by being afraid of these entities, can you call one to you? and What is everyone's general beliefs regarding these darker entities?
              As a Demonolator (one that venerates Demons), I do not equate "dark entity" or "malevolent spirit" with "Demon". A true Demon, in my beliefs, is a Divine Being - and as Corvus said, all of the aforementioned beings are essentially classes of entities.

In regards to "Demonic possession", I do not believe that true Demons "possess" random people. I believe that most so-called Demonic possessions are overwhelmingly psychological in nature or otherwise the manifestation of having otherwise "tapped into" a psychic or energetic current. I do believe that it is possible for spiritual entities to "possess" a living host - but I also do not believe that it is common. There certainly seems to be a relationship between alleged "Demonic possession" and religion (especially Christianity and Roman Catholicism). There have been numerous books written about the phenomenon.

It is far more common to have "malevolent entities" latch themselves onto the aura or the subtle body or simply just "haunt" a person or a place. As for prevention - well, I suppose it goes without saying that the first line of defence is to not expose yourself to these entities in the first place (i.e., searching them out, opening portals, etc.). Good practice is to regularly examine the state of your subtle body and your aura, raise and charge your shields and to ground any excess energy. Being physically well and taking care of your body through healthy eating and observing a healthy lifestyle is also a good defence.

I wholly believe that some predatory or vampiric entities will frequent places in which they are likely to find "easy prey" - for me an example of this would be any place in which those who are physically unwell dwell (i.e., hospitals or nursing homes) or places ripe with energetic, psychological or emotional turmoil (i.e., prisons, mental hospitals, etc.). I would certainly be sure that my shields were charged and raised when entering such a place.

As for fear "calling" such an entity to you - it's unlikely - but as spiritual beings operate on an obviously immaterial plane, we can't be wholly sure what does or does not attract them or why. But, as has already been said, if you are not within the general vicinity of the being, then it's highly unlikely that your fear alone would "draw" one to you.

I believe that a great many "hauntings" and supposed poltergeist occurrences are the products of over-active imagination and, in some cases, self-projecting energetic or psychic disturbances. Paranoia and fear can be powerful enemies.

Comment

Such evens aren't ordinary...
                I waer amulets and necklaces in order to be protected from bad sprits and demons.
                You can summon one if you know the right spell.
                In my believe, there are dark creatures, Gods and spirits. But I believe in balance between good and bad. So I try to keep this balance within me and in my family.
                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Involuntary possession I think is very unlikely regardless of what entity one is claiming to have initiated such a possession. While I say highly unlikely I can't rule out that it does occur but I think some people are more susceptible to it for various reasons. Voluntary possession is a different matter, though that to I think highly unlikely unless the possesse is foolish. I say foolish in the aspect that while most imagine possession to be by a demonic entity but choose to ignore when they bring a god / goddess into themselves that is possession as well. Many times when a person opens themselves up to their guides that to is a form of possession and may cause results that match the typical demonic possession, especially if such action results in being ridden by their guide / totem / etc.

I dislike the notion of "Dark" entities for far to many times it is equated to a Christian concept of darkness it seems, perhaps a holdover from a former influence. Even the whitest of entities has their darkness aspect and at times extremely dark compared to their white or good aspects which makes their dark so much a contrast. I find good and bad to be insufficient as a descriptor when it deals with supernatural or divine entities myself.

I do think that unless one happens to fall in upon such an entity it is highly unlikely any action of theirs would attract such a creature to them. That is not to say that one might not attract such a creature should they visit an area inhabited already by such an entity. Yet in most instances I think that attraction would last only to the duration of the exposure. Figure battlefields where lots of fear and death occurred may have those dark entities hanging about and the energy of a person may attract them, in extremely rare situations perhaps even lure them away from said battlefield. When such does happen it seems, to my perspective, that it is more curiosity about the person's energy than the person themselves that attracts them.

I haven't seen the movie in question so can't speak upon it but from a historical perspective it's probably not entirely different than the sensation created from the movie The Exorcist and the historical truth behind that movie and demonic possession of the boy (girl in the movie though). Granted the movie was different than the book and the actual case but I imagine fairly similar though.

As to whether one can prevent it that is more based upon individual beliefs I think. I've known hard core Christian's who believe wholeheartedly that Satan and his Demons lurk behind every shadow and will take them or deceive them in an instance. So their belief is preconditioned for it to occur and thus far easier to have it manifest. Other's that have such an equal faith in their beliefs and protections that there is little potential for such a possession to occur so is less likely for such to occur to them. Ironically in many ways I think those most predisposed to such occurring are also highly religious or spiritual themselves so perhaps tend to walk in that realm or sphere so increase the likely hood of such an encounter.

In some ways I have to consider a line from the animated Lord of the Rings movie..One would think the evil would look fairer and feel fouler while the good would look foul and feel fair. While not an exact quote it supports most of my experiences in that just because something looks foul doesn't mean it is and just because something looks fair doesn't mean its good. So consider Shadow People, they tend to look very foul being all black and shadowy yet there is no real proof of any malicious intent with them other than what the observer brings to the table as their own luggage.
                  I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
                    I do believe that it is possible for spiritual entities to "possess" a living host - but I also do not believe that it is common. There certainly seems to be a relationship between alleged "Demonic possession" and religion (especially Christianity and Roman Catholicism). There have been numerous books written about the phenomenon.
                    Well when people are stricken with supernatural problems they turn to their supernatural leaders. The majority of people when faced with the undeniably supernatural, assuming they are religious, would pray and failing that turn to the priesthood for help. The Roman Catholic church does not keep statistics on the number of exorcisms preformed each year but they hold it's an uncommon event. I tried to get some number but it's impossible to get sources that agree.

I'm going to describe each of the entities.
                    When we think of demons there's two general ways to group them. There's malevolent entities that are demonic and them there's the benevolent demons who's origins are (debatably) angelic, or something similar. The former is what people think that the latter are and that's why demon has such a negative connotation. In this context demon may apply to any reasonably powerful harmful spirit. The demons of Satanism are really nice guys most of the time who genuinely want to help humanity. They're not at all what we would consider a demon, though they're called demons. It's this discrepancy that makes people group what are essentially strong ghosts with minor deities.

Shadow people could have a whole article unto themselves. There's much variation in the discussions of what exactly they are so it's probably easiest to say there are many subcatagories of shadow people. Shades can sometimes assume this form, making entities manifest in this form, some spells can manifest this way, there are reports of groups of beings which do not fit clearly into other groupings and so are thrown here. If it appears as a dark blob or in silhouette it's a shadow person, which means this is an incredibly broad group that's practically useless when trying to identify something.

Imps are variously interpreted as fairy, other form of nature spirit, minor demon, or servant to the gods. Generally they are small beings who are very ugly. While never actually evil, they do play a number of malicious tricks. In myths they often play the tricks out of loneliness or boredom. If they end up being friends with humans they end up playing tricks on them because it is in an imp's nature to be a trickster. The word impish is derived from this behavior. They are probably one of the more corporeal types of spirits and they certainly could do evil things if they wanted to but the myths never depict them as anything more than ... morally ambiguous. They can act as familiar spirits to humans or servants to other beings when given payment or forced to. They're sometimes identified with the Germanic/Nordic Alp (who is likely a bit closer to being negative than ambiguous)
                    Circe

Comment

I probably shouldn't reply to this just right now because I don't really have the energy to give it a thorough and proper response (and I've not read the other people's responses properly), but I want to point a few things out...

I recently watched the movie "The Conjouring" and decided to do some research involving the actual case and what I've read has lead me to believe that the haunt was not necessarily a demon
                      It wasn't a Demon, it was the earthbound spirit of a malicious person who was vilified for being a witch. She cursed her land and haunted everyone who lived on it. She created fear and paranoia and exploited mentally ill mothers. That was all explicitly stated in the film.

...however it also got me to thinking, is actual demonic possession something occurs regularly? Is there a way to prevent it? Is there a way to prevent any darker entity from latching itself on to you? simply by being afraid of these entities, can you call one to you? and What is everyone's general beliefs regarding these darker entities?
                      The quick, short, simple answers are...

Actual Demonic possession? Almost never. Demons have better things to do and only bother people who directly bother them. And even then possession pretty much never happens. Demons don't possess people, astral nasties possess people.

Attachments and hauntings are far more common than possessions. A true possession requires a person to have weakened defenses and inadvertently let something in... that generally only occurs with mental illness, extreme fear and paranoia, or if one 'opens oneself up' to something. Normally what moves in is an astral nasty or malevolent spirit, who then taps into your own fears and paranoia and spouts whatever it can find... hence Demon names getting spat out when a priest performs an exorcism. Ever notice how 'Demon possessions' only happen to Christians or Catholics? When was the last time a pagan had an exorcism and had the entity claim to be Baal?

Is there a way to prevent attachments? Yes. Practice good psychic hygiene and maintain good mental health. Don't dabble. Don't 'open yourself up' to random entities without proper protections. Do regular checks and cleansing of your aura.

By being afraid can you call one to you? Yes. Because many of them feed of fear and being deathly afraid of something creates a weakness in your defenses. On the other hand, having ridiculously large and flashy defenses also calls attention to you (on an astral level) and can make you a target. It's okay to fear, but don't be cripplingly afraid or paranoid about it. That's why lots of 'possessions' start off as attachments or hauntings... the astral nasties are creating fear and paranoia, causing weaknesses that they can then exploit.

My general beliefs... too long to get into right now. Suffice is to say I'm a Demonolator like Torey.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                      I've yet to see the conjuring (but I hear it's amazing!) however I would suggest you not put stock in Hollywood interpretations of the supernatural.
                      It was pretty good as far as possession movies go. I think being based on the true stories of actual demonologists and not just random families helped with that. It was a bit more accurate than the average possession movie. Plus there were layers of spirits in the house who were trapped because of previous hauntings and possessions. So it was a bit more thought through and complex than the average.

I also liked that it wasn't a 'Demon'... it was a magickal practitioner who had been wronged and cursed herself and her land. It was nice to see that, because that's the sort of spirit who does possessions, not Demons.

Comment

This, right here. Well written.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                        I probably shouldn't reply to this just right now because I don't really have the energy to give it a thorough and proper response (and I've not read the other people's responses properly), but I want to point a few things out...

It wasn't a Demon, it was the earthbound spirit of a malicious person who was vilified for being a witch. She cursed her land and haunted everyone who lived on it. She created fear and paranoia and exploited mentally ill mothers. That was all explicitly stated in the film.

The quick, short, simple answers are...

Actual Demonic possession? Almost never. Demons have better things to do and only bother people who directly bother them. And even then possession pretty much never happens. Demons don't possess people, astral nasties possess people.

Attachments and hauntings are far more common than possessions. A true possession requires a person to have weakened defenses and inadvertently let something in... that generally only occurs with mental illness, extreme fear and paranoia, or if one 'opens oneself up' to something. Normally what moves in is an astral nasty or malevolent spirit, who then taps into your own fears and paranoia and spouts whatever it can find... hence Demon names getting spat out when a priest performs an exorcism. Ever notice how 'Demon possessions' only happen to Christians or Catholics? When was the last time a pagan had an exorcism and had the entity claim to be Baal?

Is there a way to prevent attachments? Yes. Practice good psychic hygiene and maintain good mental health. Don't dabble. Don't 'open yourself up' to random entities without proper protections. Do regular checks and cleansing of your aura.

By being afraid can you call one to you? Yes. Because many of them feed of fear and being deathly afraid of something creates a weakness in your defenses. On the other hand, having ridiculously large and flashy defenses also calls attention to you (on an astral level) and can make you a target. It's okay to fear, but don't be cripplingly afraid or paranoid about it. That's why lots of 'possessions' start off as attachments or hauntings... the astral nasties are creating fear and paranoia, causing weaknesses that they can then exploit.

My general beliefs... too long to get into right now. Suffice is to say I'm a Demonolator like Torey.

- - - Updated - - -

It was pretty good as far as possession movies go. I think being based on the true stories of actual demonologists and not just random families helped with that. It was a bit more accurate than the average possession movie. Plus there were layers of spirits in the house who were trapped because of previous hauntings and possessions. So it was a bit more thought through and complex than the average.

I also liked that it wasn't a 'Demon'... it was a magickal practitioner who had been wronged and cursed herself and her land. It was nice to see that, because that's the sort of spirit who does possessions, not Demons.

This too. Exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

As others have said , and said -well-, Real demons do not bother with mortals. As someone who performs non-Christian cleansing and exorcism of spirits from you, let me tell you. in ten-fifteen years of doing this, I have -never- encountered an actual demon. It is also true that so many christ followers are the ones who spout things like 'I am mammon the machine of blahblah blah. woooOooOoOo be afraid' I typically squint at them, light a cigarette up, and go 'Really now. Then impress me.' None of them have. Entities, energy eaters and dark forces abound, in fact there are locations like the one in the conjuring where they are so rife as to ooze from the walls. But these are not demons. I would also like to add that many of the 'demons' are all susceptible to blatantly Christian means of repelling, instead of other means of protection. A strange thing for such powerful beings who claim to be so old, so I too feel that many 'Christian demon possessions' are their own problems from within. From crosses and holy water to oil and quotes from the bible. Now if a bible was going to work against one of these beings, not to say it doesn't in some cases, however.. One would need an -original- bible written in the Original language which would carry the most power, not modern american english or the book would need to be blessed or something along those lines, the bible you bought from barnes & noble? has about as much power in it as a potato. Some items are universal due to focus and energy in them, and many dark spirits fear them out of the energy they carry, but that same energy can come from a ring as easily as anything else. Imps, energy vampires and the like are also similar. So, in short, no 'Satan' is not going to possess you, his Dark Court is not going to possess you, and nor is anyone from that circle of energy even going to bother, beings of that scale operate on a different magnitude, were an -actual- demon to take someone over,if they could even fit inside the person's energy field, no bits of wood and water on a mortal scale are going to dent them.
                        Last edited by StormBringer; 08 Sep 2013, 22:06.

Comment

Working...
                        X