Your pagan DNA roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your pagan DNA roots

Upon posting on another thread regarding pagan paths, it occurred to me that many people who say they have found their pagan path at some stage in their current life may actually be picking up the pieces of their DNA and genetic connection to their family tree and pagan heritage.

I believe that our DNA has a certain amount of 'spiritual residue' of our family bloodline that goes back to the beginning of time. Somewhere along that great DNA journey will be some pretty powerful pagan connections. Considering that Christianity is a resonably new religion in the bigger scheme of things, most people would have some form of pagan history in their bloodline.

I welcome and I am interested in others opinions on his subject.
    My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Re: Your pagan DNA roots

Could be the case with a lot of people!

I've always been curious about my roots. I know I'm German and Irish, but my German side has some Czech and French people mixed in somewhere way back. They're also dark and from the south, so I wonder how much Roman is in my blood lol.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
      Could be the case with a lot of people!

I've always been curious about my roots. I know I'm German and Irish, but my German side has some Czech and French people mixed in somewhere way back. They're also dark and from the south, so I wonder how much Roman is in my blood lol.
      I would imagine you have it all going on with that amazing heritage!
      My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

Haha I think most North Americans and Aussies are equally as eclectic! Even a lot of Europeans have some interesting backgrounds.

Comment

This hasn't been my experience at all. I'm not interested in the pagan religions or cultures of my ancestors at all...
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I'm eclectic...I wonder if this is why :P

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              I'm eclectic...I wonder if this is why :P
              Perhaps... I figure if genetic medical issues can carry through for generations then surely spiritual aspects can too,

Comment

It holds true for some people, but not for others. If I was called by my "spiritual genetics", I'd be a Buddhist/Shinto/Catholic mix with maybe a bit of heathen/Asatru (wonder what that kind of practice would look like!) I did look into Shinto, though, and got the feeling of, "eh, we're not interested. Try somewhere else." In the case of the northern gods, I got a firm GO THE HELL AWAY from them.
                Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

First, I don't think there's any way to ever know if that's possible because there are so many generations behind us with such a wide range of religious beliefs that, chances are, whatever beliefs you have - Pagan or not - are in that mix somewhere.

Secondly, if there were a connection between spirituality and genetics, I would imagine it would most likely work the other way around as a genetic predisposition to certain beliefs. Random example of what I mean: if one is born with a natural tendency of free-spiritedness and individualism that has been a family trait for generations, they might favor Paganism and reject other more structured and restrictive beliefs simply because of that trait. Therefore that family line might tend to be Pagan or otherwise have eclectic spiritual beliefs. (Not a great example, though.)

Comment

Hmm, it's not a theory I've even seen before, but I guess that's no reason to reject it outright. I'm inclined to assume it really wouldn't make the slightest difference even if there is such a thing as spiritual resonance in DNA. I mean, geneticists think that anyone of Western European Ancestry, so basically the majority of the Caucasian population of the planet, can trace back their ancestry to Charlemagne, and that's only going back to the 700s, so it goes without saying that anyone of European descent will have ancestors from pagan societies from the region. Unless the bloodlines were completely wiped out in battle or what-have-you, which is highly unlikely, but not impossible. However, that would mean no one has pagans in their bloodline.

So theory, fine.. practice, meaningless, as we probably all have some kind of pagan heritage and yet there are still those of us who lean this way, and those who outright reject it.

Unless you're talking about recent generations, in which case.. maybe. My family has been into the whole spiritual scene for a few generations. My Nanna's aunt founded the local Spiritualist Church, the first in the region at the time I think, and my great Gran on my dad's side was said to be psychic. My Nanna believed in fairies and natural healing and while we often affectionately claim she was a witch, we don't really think she was and she isn't here anymore to deny it! I was the first in the family to discover paganism, but as my family became curious as to what I was up to, they researched it too and my sister and dad both converted. My mum remains Christian but with some very pagan-like beliefs. I'm still the one who takes the religion most seriously, or I was until my niece started to explore paganism. So while non of us were born pagan, as a family, we sure do seem to have a disposition towards this kind of thing. It's probably a bit nature-nurture though.
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Auseklis View Post
                      Perhaps... I figure if genetic medical issues can carry through for generations then surely spiritual aspects can too,
                      If that's the case then what determins what is the dominant gene? Most western people have a dominent "Christian" background.
                      "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

While the possibility is there, I think trying to trace back your genes beyond a certain point is ultimately useless. I'm a believer of both genetic memory and of the occasional soul-reincarnation, so who can say which 'memories' are from genes or something else entirely? Not to mention I tend to pick up on the memories of others too and that can be hard to sort out from my own. What it has really come down to for me over the years is that that kind of understanding can be useful in finding deeper connections and insights into the world and its circumstances, but they don't define me or my life.

That being said, I have occasionally thought about shelling out the $100 or so to get a genetic blood test done just to see where my Slavic roots go. So far I'm pretty well established in my Slovene roots and I doubt any blood results would make me go any farther past those boundaries than I normally would.

Comment

Originally posted by Auseklis View Post
                          I welcome and I am interested in others opinions on his subject.
                          Are you familiar with Jung's idea of the collective conscious? It sounds like that is the direction in which you are going...
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                            This hasn't been my experience at all. I'm not interested in the pagan religions or cultures of my ancestors at all...
                            And, I will add to this that my understanding of genetics and developmental biology make this idea seem very, very unlikely to me for purely academic and scientific reasons as well.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm Native American, Irish, French, Polish, and I believe I may have a little Egyptian in me? (my great grandmother said Cleopatra was one of my ancestors). I've always felt a deep connection with Ireland, not so much the other lands of my ancestors. Although I have a slight interest in French history.

I've had a burning desire to meet a fairie for a long time, so I guess that could be considered spiritual. I also developed some interest in the Irish Pantheon about 5 years ago (maybe less) although the only one I've actually done some research on is Morrighan. And for some reason, I've had a deep admiration of the Greek Pantheon (thank Disney for that, as well as the Soul Calibur series).
                              What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Comment

Working...
                              X