This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hedge/Nature/Green Traditions

It really depends on the magick I am using, when I am weaving for/in my garden I talk with the green man. If i am weaving before or during a hunt, I talk to Cernunnos. Yes I hunt, and eat meat. Always with reverance for the animal, and when I harvest an animal I always do a ritual over the kill thanking the God and goddess for their bounty and the spirit of the animal for its sacrifice so that I may live. I just spent most of the summer in the garden and am still harvesting, so right now i feel more in tune with the green man.

And I realize that there may be people whom it may offend that I hunt, It is done fair chase, no attractants, with bow and arrow, It is part of my beleif system, I mean no offense. I do not like to eat commercially slaughtered animals. most of what I eat is taken by me or my family. I mean no offense to anyone, and if i have i appologize.

Comment

Well isn't it great when the only way to solve a computer issue is with a whole reformat!
      Thankfully I didn't lose all my files and years of writing.

This year Samhain and Beltane (in the southern hemisphere) will be celebrated mid Mercury Retrograde. How does this effect the communication through the veil, with nature and in general?

I personally utilize the retrograded energy to connect far back with ancestors and ancient energies. I was born in the middle of a Mercury Retrograde so it doesn't overly effect me as it does others. I am interested if anyone has something to share in regards to Samhain/Beltane and Mercury Retrograde?

- - - Updated - - -
      This is a little video of my families Baltic pagan traditions for Samhain (we call it Mārtiņi).

Here is a little bit of information about our celebrations...
      Masked processions begin at Martini (November 10th) and continue all winter long until Meteni. The masked people are called kekatas or budeli (mummers) and they travel from neighbor to neighbor, paying surprise visits. Common costumes include the tall lady, the short man, a goat, a wolf, a heron, a bear, a horse, and a sheaf of grain. The costume need not be elaborate; the main goal is for the masked people to not be recognized. Kekatas make lots of noise, sing, dance, play jokes and games, etc., and then leave fairly quickly. The hosts, on the other hand, must be prepared for a visit at any time. They are expected to give kekatas food and drink and to have a clean house. A visit by kekatas brings blessings and fertility to the hosts. How we celebrate Martini at Dievseta: It is tradition for the people of Dievseta to celebrate Martini at the warm and welcome Stumbri home near Stevens Point, WI. All day the hosts prepare and bake aromatic dishes. People dressed in costumes arrive after dusk from their respective homes. First we rattle the windows and pound on the doors, insisting that the Stumbri let us in; once inside we happily dance around the house, singing and playing music. The evening continues with more singing, and sometimes with games and ghost stories inside, other times with a bonfire and ghoulish night walk outside.
      My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

Today it is Beltane in the Southern Hemisphere. To those celebrating Beltane, may it be a time of festivities and great connection.
        In the Dievturi path my family have followed for generations, Beltane is called 'USINI'...
        The trees have started to sprout leaves and the grass is green by Usini. This is the time of year when horses and other livestock were let outside to graze for the first time. Most Usini songs are about horses and the festival itself is usually celebrated by a bonfire, which in earlier times would have been the horse shepherds’ bonfire. Scrambled eggs made over the open fire (pentags) is the characteristic food. Throw water on others so that they will not be sleepy and so that the mosquitoes won’t bite!
        My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

I am very much enjoying this thread. Thanks so much for sharing what you family does. I am always interested in family traditions.

My family is coming to the end of our autumn ritual called The Winter Findings. It begins on the equinox and ends on Nov. 2nd. This is the time the family comes back together after the summer to prepare for the winter that is coming. It is a time of community where we help each other with the final harvests, preparing the homes for winter, gathering wood, whatever is needed to be done before the snows flies. We also have several gatherings to celebrate the end of the busy season, these do not fall on any specific dates but when a major chore (like wild rice gathering or sorghum pressing) is done. Then on one of the full moons we separate into a men's group and a woman's group. I have no idea what the men do but we women go out into the corn fields and talk to the corn spirits, asking them for advice and insight. This is a multiple generational thing, with the old aunties, the young girls and everyone in between stepping out between the corn rows.

We, of course, trick or treat on Oct. 31. My family never passes up an excuse to celebrate. But our final day of the dead is Nov. 2nd. It is when we celebrate the thinning of the veil by sitting by the graves of loved ones who have gone before is. This is a fire celebration, with a small fire and candles in the family graveyard and conversations with the departed. Donations are given to charitable causes in the name of the departed.

Nov. 3rd it is considered to be winter time here. If we are not ready by that date, it's getting close to being too late. Winter is the hunker down time. Time to hunker down and wait until the maple sap flows in the late winter, early spring. Usually I do my spinning, weaving, and quilting in front of the fire during the dark time. I look forward to this time of rest, because maple season starts the whole craziness all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar View Post
            I am very much enjoying this thread. Thanks so much for sharing what you family does. I am always interested in family traditions.

My family is coming to the end of our autumn ritual called The Winter Findings. It begins on the equinox and ends on Nov. 2nd. This is the time the family comes back together after the summer to prepare for the winter that is coming. It is a time of community where we help each other with the final harvests, preparing the homes for winter, gathering wood, whatever is needed to be done before the snows flies. We also have several gatherings to celebrate the end of the busy season, these do not fall on any specific dates but when a major chore (like wild rice gathering or sorghum pressing) is done. Then on one of the full moons we separate into a men's group and a woman's group. I have no idea what the men do but we women go out into the corn fields and talk to the corn spirits, asking them for advice and insight. This is a multiple generational thing, with the old aunties, the young girls and everyone in between stepping out between the corn rows.

We, of course, trick or treat on Oct. 31. My family never passes up an excuse to celebrate. But our final day of the dead is Nov. 2nd. It is when we celebrate the thinning of the veil by sitting by the graves of loved ones who have gone before is. This is a fire celebration, with a small fire and candles in the family graveyard and conversations with the departed. Donations are given to charitable causes in the name of the departed.

Nov. 3rd it is considered to be winter time here. If we are not ready by that date, it's getting close to being too late. Winter is the hunker down time. Time to hunker down and wait until the maple sap flows in the late winter, early spring. Usually I do my spinning, weaving, and quilting in front of the fire during the dark time. I look forward to this time of rest, because maple season starts the whole craziness all over again.
            In our family we celebrate 'Samhain' on the traditional Baltic day of the 10th of November. As I am in the southern hemisphere I will also celebrate 'Beltane'... rather confusing I know. Essentially I am able to have 4 celebrations in one month if I include all the dates.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone read this? Opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by Auseklis View Post
              Has anyone read this? Opinion?
              Yeah, I've read it. My main problem with the book is that she named it "The Way of the Hedge Witch," writes just a little bit about what a hedgewitch actually is in her introduction... then says, but we're not going to talk about that, we're going to focus on the hearth and home, and then proceeds to start using the term "hearth-based hedge witch" a lot. So I don't really understand why she's named her book after something she didn't actually write her book about. Hearth witch, hearthcraft, kitchen witch, etc, all would have made much more sense instead of hedgewitch. Considering the subtitle, I guess it's not too much of a surprise as to what's actually in the book, but I still find the mislabeling to be a bit annoying. If you want a book on hedgecraft, this isn't it.

Now, all that said, if you're looking for a book on hearth/kitchen witchcraft? This isn't a bad choice. For someone new to that sort of tradition, I do think it's worth a read. It's probably not going to have any new information in it for someone who's been on that sort of a path for a while, but I thought it was a fairly solid introduction to a more home/kitchen based practice.
              Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                Yeah, I've read it. My main problem with the book is that she named it "The Way of the Hedge Witch," writes just a little bit about what a hedgewitch actually is in her introduction... then says, but we're not going to talk about that, we're going to focus on the hearth and home, and then proceeds to start using the term "hearth-based hedge witch" a lot. So I don't really understand why she's named her book after something she didn't actually write her book about. Hearth witch, hearthcraft, kitchen witch, etc, all would have made much more sense instead of hedgewitch. Considering the subtitle, I guess it's not too much of a surprise as to what's actually in the book, but I still find the mislabeling to be a bit annoying. If you want a book on hedgecraft, this isn't it.

Now, all that said, if you're looking for a book on hearth/kitchen witchcraft? This isn't a bad choice. For someone new to that sort of tradition, I do think it's worth a read. It's probably not going to have any new information in it for someone who's been on that sort of a path for a while, but I thought it was a fairly solid introduction to a more home/kitchen based practice.
                Thanks for your information and I have decided to grab a cheap copy of this book if I come across one but also look for something a bit more advanced or in depth.

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

The last new/dark moon for 2013 is nearly upon us.

Comment

Happy full moon in Gemini... the last full moon before the solstice.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Auseklis View Post
                        Well isn't it great when the only way to solve a computer issue is with a whole reformat!
                        Thankfully I didn't lose all my files and years of writing...
                        Off topic and I apologize BUT...you should consider Google Drive. All it requires is a Gmail account and then you can have a word processor that is accessible from any computer that gets the internet! It's so awesome -- I've lost so many things and now they're always safe and sound.
                        No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Thanks and I have done that

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by Auseklis; 30 Dec 2013, 02:32.

Comment

I very much enjoyed reading your thread Auseklis.

Comment

Thank you Shebani. I am hoping to be able to devote more time to posting his year as I organize my work/play time better. I hope you have an amazing 2014.

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X