Autumn equinox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autumn equinox

So, the Autumnal Equinox is coming up for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere. Who's planning to celebrate it or use it as a basis for ceremony? Personally I will be, since my practices and religious "calendar" center on the earth and the changing seasons, but I'm curious to see how other people view the equinox in terms of spirituality. Does it have a place in your faith?

- - - Updated - - -

Excuse me, I just realized that this would be better placed in the Holidays section. Sorry for the mistake.

Re: Autumn equinox

Traditionally, the autumn equinox doesn't play to Kemetic beliefs (far as I know). But I might start observing it. The ancient Egyptians had holidays and festivals that were tied to their land, so why shouldn't modern Kemetics have holidays and festivals tied to theirs?

Also, any excuse to celebrate the gods and maybe devour obscene amounts of food is good in this Kemetic's book.
    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

I would, but I'm working.

Like I did on Lughnasadh, and the Summer Solstice. Shame. It's my favourite one, too.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
        I would, but I'm working.

Like I did on Lughnasadh, and the Summer Solstice. Shame. It's my favourite one, too.
        Why can't you do something before or after work?

I work that day too. I'm going to do a personal ritual after I get off work and before I head over to friends. Ritual need not be an elaborate, three hour long affair.
        "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Vigdisdotter View Post

I work that day too. I'm going to do a personal ritual after I get off work and before I head over to friends. Ritual need not be an elaborate, three hour long affair.
          Wrong type of job + unique and special hours.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm probably going to go apple picking, do some baking, and have a little thanksgiving sort of ritual later in the evening.
            Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
              Wrong type of job + unique and special hours.
              Thanks, Masked. Yeah Vig, I work in a mining camp (where I live while I am at work). We aren't allowed outside after work hours without special permission, buddy system, and a radio, there is a ban on incense/candles in camp (for obvious reasons) and I work somewhere between 12-16 hours a day (everyday).

Ain't nobody got time for ritual.

Mostly art.

Comment

I'll do a small acknowledgment moment, since this will be my very first Autumn Equinox celebration and I'm not quite set yet on what to do.
                :^^: My Spiritual Journey blog: An Eclectic Wonderland :^^:

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  Thanks, Masked. Yeah Vig, I work in a mining camp (where I live while I am at work). We aren't allowed outside after work hours without special permission, buddy system, and a radio, there is a ban on incense/candles in camp (for obvious reasons) and I work somewhere between 12-16 hours a day (everyday).

Ain't nobody got time for ritual.
                  I get the feeling that you and MaskedOne think I'm passing judgment here. I'm not.

I'm asking a question because the issue of how to fit ritual into daily life and work around commitments is a common one. And while there is absolutely value to doing something with all the bells and whistles when able, nothing says that's the only way it can be done (and if something DOES say that, I'd be finding another path, myself).

I don't tend to stress exact timing for things and candles and incense has no place in my practice due to my kitties being not very bright about such things. I have done circles in astral temples that only required my mind/focus. I absolutely get that life can be and often is demanding and moving around a work schedule to accommodate holidays is not always possible, which is why I find adaptability and ingenuity all the more important when it comes to personal practice.

Anyhow, as I said, this isn't a matter of my passing judgment on anyone since I have no clue what anyone's life or comfort zone is. I just wanted to point out there lacking time/space/etc from a formal circle doesn't mean no observance can be had. After all there are many lurkers who read these posts.
                  "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I have a very special reverence for celebration of the equinox. I work very long hard days, especially in the summer. I always welcome the equinox as the winding down of a lot of things, a time to start to walk a bit slower, sleep a bit longer, and enjoy the fruits of the years labor as we prepare for winter. I like to spend a good deal in the woods on the equinox, take in everything.

Comment

The changing of the season is a big celebratory thing in our house! And the Autumn Equinox is my second favorite (Fall is my favorite season, but the Winter Solstice is my favorite of the four because, well, it's the damn Winter Solstice and the only time my whole culture gets as excited as I do about the holiday).

Our celebration usually looks a lot like Thanksgiving (which it basically is considering we don't celebrate Thanksgiving).

Comment

I get the feeling that you and MaskedOne think I'm passing judgment here.
                        Hmm, not really. I was just pretty sure weren't familiar with V's schedule right now and I didn't feel like providing a more in-depth explanation so I gave the short version of an answer. She's got distinctly less spare time in a day than a lot of people. You didn't give bad advice, doing things before/after work is frequently a good idea. V just happens to have less time before and after work.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I try to celebrate because natural cycles do make up a big part of my practice. Unfortunately, natural cycles also have a huge effect on me personally, and I'm already getting exhausted due to the changes in the weather (they're happening this year). When the plants die down, I die down a bit too. Autumn equinox always feels more like a mourning than a celebration to me, no matter how hard I try for that not to be the case.

This year it's a bit of a busy day. Our elections take place that day, so I have to go vote. I also might go to a clothing swap in the afternoon to get rid of old clothes. I want to make a small roast at night with some garden vegetables to give thanks for the harvest I got this year (a sizeable one!) and to say goodbye the long days and the presence of my garden.

Comment

It actually falls on a Sunday this year, which is fantastic because I am always off work by 7pm on Sundays...

If I can shake this melancholy/lethargy thing, then I will absolutely be doing something for it. Otherwise I may just do something incredibly small to mark the date. *shrugs* We'll have to see how the rest of this week goes.

Comment

I get the feeling that you and MaskedOne think I'm passing judgment here. I'm not.

I'm asking a question because the issue of how to fit ritual into daily life and work around commitments is a common one. And while there is absolutely value to doing something with all the bells and whistles when able, nothing says that's the only way it can be done (and if something DOES say that, I'd be finding another path, myself).

I don't tend to stress exact timing for things and candles and incense has no place in my practice due to my kitties being not very bright about such things. I have done circles in astral temples that only required my mind/focus. I absolutely get that life can be and often is demanding and moving around a work schedule to accommodate holidays is not always possible, which is why I find adaptability and ingenuity all the more important when it comes to personal practice.

Anyhow, as I said, this isn't a matter of my passing judgment on anyone since I have no clue what anyone's life or comfort zone is. I just wanted to point out there lacking time/space/etc from a formal circle doesn't mean no observance can be had. After all there are many lurkers who read these posts.
                              And I think you are too quick to assume the worst. I was only replying with why I can't celebrate this year. My schedule 3 weeks of every month is 12-16 hours working, maybe 2 chilling out, eating, showering, or working out, and if I am lucky, 6 hours of sleep. I work for 21 days straight, and then get a week off. Not everybody knows that, since I don't exactly talk about myself. Masked and I are friends; that is why he answered before I did.

But that schedule doesn't leave me with time to celebrate, without eating into my sleeping schedule, or my eating schedule (which, is limited enough as it is.)

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                              X