• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about Islam (Ask Away!)

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg30911#msg30911 date=1296147262]
    I'm sorry but where is the question?
    ???
    [/quote]

I think the question is what is a "jinn"? And even if that wasn't his question, that's mine.
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Is it true that Egypt cut off the internet? Is anyone able to get in touch with Dumuzi?
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=96.msg31130#msg31130 date=1296240855]
        Is it true that Egypt cut off the internet? Is anyone able to get in touch with Dumuzi?
        [/quote]
        I'm trying. No answer to my text. I will be trying to call his cell via a calling card. :-\
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=96.msg31130#msg31130 date=1296240855]
          [/quote]

The internet was cut off about 23:30GMT on Thursday (BBC had a usage graph from Egypt, showing it increasing all night and then stopping entirely very suddenly) What i have heard is that all 4 of the ISPs in Egypt are down, the only access via internet is the 4 lines in to the stock exchange.

Mobile networks were also shutdown and all but Government radio broadcasters were taken off air too.

eta http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12306041

M
          In the end, only you know if you were right or wrong, so tolerate others beliefs, no matter how wrong, they may be right...

Comment

Yesterday at the mall, I saw a young woman wearing a hajib. Her facial features looked Arabic, so I guess she was Muslim. (Could be wrong, you never know!) But my question is about the rest of what she was wearing: skin-tight jeans, knee-high boots with high heels, tight low-cut sweater. So what exactly is the point of covering up the hair? I'm sure none of the guys there would have looked at her hair....
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

oops, I missed some questions. Gonna have to answer them!

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
              So what exactly is the point of covering up the hair? I'm sure none of the guys there would have looked at her hair....
              I think you answered your own question!

They're supposed to wear things that are neither too tight, nor transparent. Or else, what's the point of them
              [4:82]

Comment

I learned what the jinn are in class recently. They are kind of like demons, but not exactly. They have to ability to make choices between good and evil and no jinn is purely evil, except perhaps Satan. They were born of fire. Satan felt that he was above humans because we were born of earth (dirt) and said something of the same to Allah. That led to the struggle between humans and jinn. The jinn try to tempt us to break Allah's law. We can't see them, hear them, etc. but Allah gave signs in the Qur'an for us to use in order to keep them from taking us down the wrong path.

At least that's how I understood it. Maybe Dumuzi can fill in and correct when he has more time.
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Dumuzi, I have been reading your posts. Seems like you have a very good reason to be a Muslim. Could you honestly tell me one thing: What is your perception on Saudi Arabia's monarchy? Do you think it is Islamic? I've heard the royals are corrupt and many modern saudis are trying to dethrone the kings.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10 Mar 2011, 10:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                    At least that's how I understood it. Maybe Dumuzi can fill in and correct when he has more time.
                    Yeah, pretty much Jinn are another creation of Allah like the angels and humans and so on. They are like humans in terms of they can choose to do right or wrong. Perhaps the most 'famous' of them is Iblis (Satan). I mention this because Jews and Christians believe Satan was an angel, and the Qur'an states otherwise.

There's info about them all through the Qur'an and there's also a Surah (chapter) that is named after them: The Jinn

Originally posted by Charlesmartel View Post
                    Dumuzi, I have been reading your posts. Seems like you have a very good reason to be a Muslim. Could you honestly tell me one thing: What is your perception on Saudi Arabia's monarchy? Do you think it is Islamic? I've heard the royals are corrupt and many modern saudis are trying to dethrone the kings.
                    Are you from the CIA?

Your question is more political than religious, and I try to only focus on questions regarding Islam itself.

But I'll just say that just like any other country, some of their rules are in accordance to Islam, and some of them are not. Unfortunately, some people still think Saudi Arabia is the 'official' representative of Islam.
                    Last edited by Dumuzi; 12 Mar 2011, 15:10.

Comment

First the quick and easy question ... Could you "fairly accurately" translate Hebrew to English ? ... Just single words so there would be minimal error possible due to context ... These are some names of rocks ... If you could then we move on to the second part ... First I will list the common English spelling then a phonetic spelling with the accented syllable in bold ...

ubaraket ... (baw-reh-keht) ... (baw-rek-eth)

pitdah ... (pit-daw)

odem ... (o-dem)

yahalom ... (yah-hal-ome)

sappir ... (sap-peer)

nophek ... (no-fek)

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

achlamah ... (akh-law-maw)

shebu ... (sheb-oo)

leshem ... (leh-shem)

yashpheh ... (yaw-shef-ay)

shoham ... (sho-ham)

tarshish ... (tar-sheesh)

Oh yeah ... For everyone else ... These stones were used to make the ceremonial breastplate of Aaron for use during religious rites ...

Aren't I a royal pain in the backside? ...
                      Last edited by magusphredde; 12 Mar 2011, 22:15.
                      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

wut?

I'm confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post

Are you from the CIA?

Your question is more political than religious, and I try to only focus on questions regarding Islam itself.

But I'll just say that just like any other country, some of their rules are in accordance to Islam, and some of them are not. Unfortunately, some people still think Saudi Arabia is the 'official' representative of Islam.
                          Dumuzi, I think you know that Islam is more than just a religion. It is a complete code of life. Anyway put that aside, religion influences politics. Take for example of sub-continent nation such as: India, Bangladesh and Pakistan. Even the US.

Glad that you said it is unfortunate some people think Saudi Arabia to be an official representative of Islam.

I have another question for you:

I don't know if it is a verse of Quran or a portion of hadith: "know yourself, know God"

Could you edify me what is that actually meant by that above quoted?

P.S. Sorry I am not from the CIA. If I were I wouldn't be asking questions here.
                          Last edited by Guest; 13 Mar 2011, 07:57.

Comment

I was hoping you could translate Hebrew ... Unfortunately My brain was not working at the time of the post ... I should have realized that being Egyptian your language would be Arabic ...

But perhaps you could help anyway ... What is your take on the twelve tribes of Israel and the Exodus? ...
                            I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by Charlesmartel View Post

I have another question for you:

I don't know if it is a verse of Quran or a portion of hadith: "know yourself, know God"

Could you edify me what is that actually meant by that above quoted?
                              Hmmm, I never heard of this. I mean, it's not in the Qur'an. There's something similar though that is said in Christianity.
                              P.S. Sorry I am not from the CIA. If I were I wouldn't be asking questions here.
                              Haha. I'm Egyptian, don't make me overthrow your government!

Originally posted by magusjinx View Post
                              I was hoping you could translate Hebrew ... Unfortunately My brain was not working at the time of the post ... I should have realized that being Egyptian your language would be Arabic ...

But perhaps you could help anyway ... What is your take on the twelve tribes of Israel and the Exodus? ...
                              Hehe, don't worry about it!

In the Qur'an, the prophet mentioned the most is Moses, peace be upon him. So there's lots of parts of the Qur'an that talk about these events.

Comment

Magus: Check over at Cern's site (http://paganandchristianmoot.co.uk I think)...if anyone that I know can read Hebrew, they'll be over there - and I'm pretty sure a couple of them could help you out

Comment

Working...
                                X