X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about Islam (Ask Away!)

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
    Hi kijani!

Leaving Islam after believing in it is a big deal in Islam. It doesn't matter if they follow Christianity or any other religion. If someone converts to another religion then according to the Qur'an they committed a big crime.

"Indeed, those who have believed then disbelieved, then believed, then disbelieved, and then increased in disbelief - never will Allah forgive them, nor will He guide them to a way." [4:137]

So as you can see, they will not be forgiven. However, the Qur'an itself doesn't prescribe any punishment in this life for someone leaving Islam. There is a debate however about regarding punishing someone who leaves Islam because of certain Hadiths in the Sunnah. At that time, when someone left Islam, they joined the disbelievers in fighting Muslims so it was considered an act of treason, as opposed to a mere case of changing one's religion.
    Missed this hefore but is that the only line regarding leaving Islam? I'm curious because the repeated switching "believe, then disbelieve, then believe, then disbelieve" doesn't strike me at first glance as sincere religious conversion so much as a person saying "I'll believe whatever is convenient at any given moment." while Allah is saying "Either you're sincere and I'm with you through thick and thin or you're wasting my time with lip service and I will repay you precisely what you have invested."
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

*steps away from typewriter

Dumuzi might take a while to get back to us on this stuff. He's currently on vacation in Marina. And when he comes back he will then be heading right to work at the hospital!
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I have two questions for you. The first came as a response to an issue that's been all over the news lately, about an Afghani woman who was jailed after her cousin raped her. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16179236 This is the story if you're not familiar with it, but the short is that because her cousin is married, it was considered adultery, which is why she was jailed. I understand that this isn't the country you're from, but question to you, and please understand that I asked this in all respect, is what the Qu'ran actually says about rape and if it's considered adultery.

The second came from a discussion with my mother. In the Bible, it was promised to David that from his seed would come the Son of God. I read where you mentioned earlier that some parts of the bible are believed to be corrupted by man. Is this a part of the bible that holds true in Islam? If so, how did Muhammed tie into David's bloodline?
        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
          I understand that this isn't the country you're from, but question to you, and please understand that I asked this in all respect, is what the Qu'ran actually says about rape and if it's considered adultery.
          Thank you for your question!

Unfortunately, I cannot understand why anyone would want to punish a rape victim, and then go easy on the rapist. Rape is one of the worst crimes I can think of, something I wish no one has to go through.

Islamically speaking, I can't find evidence for the way this victim was treated. The Qur'an doesn't talk about rape directly, but there are sayings of Muhammad, peace be upon him, where a rapists was put to death for his crime. Nothing was done to the victim.

That's why most scholars agree that the punishment for rape is death. You can read more about it here: http://www.seekingilm.com/archives/219

The second came from a discussion with my mother. In the Bible, it was promised to David that from his seed would come the Son of God. I read where you mentioned earlier that some parts of the bible are believed to be corrupted by man. Is this a part of the bible that holds true in Islam? If so, how did Muhammed tie into David's bloodline?
          First, in Islam we don't believe that god has any sons. He is above that. Second, we do believe that Moses and Jesus, peace be upon him, did receive divine revelation, but the words that are found in the Bible today, can hardly be attributed to them. This is something that even biblical scholars agree with.

As for David's bloodline, there is no mention of that in the Qur'an. Bloodlines and race play very little roles in Islam. So I don't know how Muhammad ties into David's bloodline!

I don't know if that's related, but Muhammad is a descendent of Ishmael who's the son of Abraham, peace be upon all of them. So they're kinda related
          [4:82]

Comment

Good to see you posting D,from the news it seems a bit dangerous there right now. Be safe,and watch your back.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Thank you very much for answering my questions. I appreciate it.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                Good to see you posting D,from the news it seems a bit dangerous there right now. Be safe,and watch your back.
                Thanks, anunitu

Thank you very much for answering my questions. I appreciate it.
                You're welcome! If you have any more questions just let me know

Comment

Oh, I just thought of one! I could probably look this up, but I'll ask you instead: What things are forbidden (is haram the word?) in Islam? The ones I believe I know are drinking alcohol, eating pork, having sex before marriage, depicting Allah visually (like, drawing a picture of Him) and making jokes about Islam.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Oh, I just thought of one! I could probably look this up, but I'll ask you instead: What things are forbidden (is haram the word?) in Islam?
                    Yep, haram is the word!

The general rule is that everything is allowed, unless indicated otherwise. Though it would be hard for me to answer this question without narrowing it down. Because there are different topics that fall under being haram. Like, lying, backbiting, stealing, killing, cheating, bribes, alcohol and so on.

We believe god has allowed to us all things which are good for us, and has forbidden to us all things which are bad for us.

Indeed, Allah orders justice and the doing of good (to others) and bringing (charity) to a near kinsman and forbids immorality and bad conduct and oppression. He admonishes you that perhaps you will be reminded. [16:90]

Comment

Hello!

I am sorry if you have already recieved this question, but about a year ago I was on the verge of converting to Islam. I was confused, disheartened with both atheism and christianity, and Islam really appealed to me. But in the end I could not join, because of the whole idea of eternal damnnation etc. I tried to ignore those passages like I ignored specific passages in the Bible, but since it was gods word I saw it as final and non-negotable.

So I guess what I'm asking is the Muslim view on hell and what happenes to non-believers after death?

Thank you! I am really glad that you are here to answer our questions
                      "Wealth is as swift | as a winking eye
                      Of friends the falsest it is."

Havamal, 74

"The wolf that lies idle | shall win little meat,
                      Or the sleeping man success."

Havamal, 58

Comment

Your question hasn't been asked before! (At least I don't remember it )

First I'd like to say that I respect your decision of wanting to accept all of the parts, rather than accepting some parts and ignoring others. In my honest opinion, this is a form of hypocrisy.

The short answer is that, yes, we do believe in hell. I've heard different opinions though. Some say it is eternal for some people and temporary for others. But the general idea behind it, is that you cannot reject god's mercy and then complain when you don't receive it at the same time. According to the Qur'an god's mercy compasses all things, so we should all seek it.

Hope that answers your question

PS: I wanted to comment some more, but it wasn't really related to your question. I've been told that I talk too much, so I didn't want to overwhelm you!

Comment

Dumuzi,

Does the idea of virtuous Paganism exist in Islam? I know that many Muslim scientists were ecstatic when the Greek philosophers were translated but I've never actually heard any yea or nay to the theism side of it.

Also, do you believe that Monists (of whatever qualification) will be forgiven by Allah for being 'semi-monotheists'?
                          There once was a man who said though,
                          It seems that I know that I know,
                          What I'd like to see,
                          Is the I that knows me,
                          When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielWithoutWings View Post
                            Dumuzi,

Does the idea of virtuous Paganism exist in Islam? I know that many Muslim scientists were ecstatic when the Greek philosophers were translated but I've never actually heard any yea or nay to the theism side of it.
                            Can you explain what you mean by that? Are you asking if there are Pagans that are virtuous? (Sorry, my brainz is tired right now!)

Also, do you believe that Monists (of whatever qualification) will be forgiven by Allah for being 'semi-monotheists'?
                            Being a Monist or Monotheist does not make one automatically a Muslim. Muslim is just an Arabic word, meaning one who submits (to God). Of course, that submission means you have to follow god, his message, and his messengers and so on.

Anyways, as I understand it, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Monists seem like a form of Pantheists. Which doesn't make a distinction between creator and creation. In Islam, however, there is nothing equal or like god in this creation. So if someone believes the creation is equal or part of god, then they are associating something with god, which is a really big deal in Islam.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                              Can you explain what you mean by that? Are you asking if there are Pagans that are virtuous? (Sorry, my brainz is tired right now!)
                              Yes. Is there such a thing as virtuous Paganism in Islam? Islamic philosophers loved the teachings of Plato and Aristotle and others but I've never seen anything on their beliefs, since a lot of Christians (especially during the Middle Ages) had an idea of virtuous Paganism.

Being a Monist or Monotheist does not make one automatically a Muslim. Muslim is just an Arabic word, meaning one who submits (to God). Of course, that submission means you have to follow god, his message, and his messengers and so on.

Anyways, as I understand it, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Monists seem like a form of Pantheists. Which doesn't make a distinction between creator and creation. In Islam, however, there is nothing equal or like god in this creation. So if someone believes the creation is equal or part of god, then they are associating something with god, which is a really big deal in Islam.
                              Well, I wasn't asking about being Muslim. I was asking if Muslims (or, just you) believe Allah will show mercy to those that, while not being Muslim, still believe in one God, eg, Jews, Baha'is, Christians, Hanif, Zoroastrians, etc. Monism isn't necessarily Pantheism. Pantheism equates God with the Universe. Monism means that Creation issues forth from God like waves issue from a stone dropped in a pool of water, as opposed to one moment in Creation where there was nothing and then God creates ex nihilo.
                              There once was a man who said though,
                              It seems that I know that I know,
                              What I'd like to see,
                              Is the I that knows me,
                              When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

You may want to explain the specific context to the phrase 'Virtuous Pagan' Gabriel. That phrase is mildly misleading if you aren't familiar with Church history and doctrine.
                                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                                X