Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about Islam (Ask Away!)

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

Re: Questions about Islam (Ask Away!)

What would you say are the basic tenets of Islam? Christianity has the ten commandments, Buddhism the four noble truths and eight fold path, Wicca has the Wiccan Rede. What would be Islam's equivilant?

What are the most major stories? Muhammad obviously would be a major person, but I don't really know the stories. I remember something about him flying off on a ?pegasus? (flying horse) to heaven or something like that. Sorry if I butchered that story, it's just all I have as a reference.

Most of what I've run across when I searched on the net in the past seems a lot of defense against extremists, but I'm interested in learning more of the basics and then intricasies of the religion (of all religions in general actually).
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

May 2005
    Religion
    Muslim

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=96.msg3656#msg3656 date=1287283258]
    What would you say are the basic tenets of Islam? Christianity has the ten commandments, Buddhism the four noble truths and eight fold path, Wicca has the Wiccan Rede. What would be Islam's equivilant?
    [/quote]

The first thing that comes to mind is that Islam is to believe and do good deeds.

This tenet, of belief and doing good deeds, is repeated many times in the Qur'an. You see, Islam in Arabic means submission (to the will of god). So worshiping god in Islam has two parts, to believe and to do good actions. Good actions include the acts of worship and how we treat people around us.

And we do have similar ideas that can also be found in Christianity, Buddhism and even the Wiccan Rede. One Hadith (saying of Muhammad) mentions "Let there be no harm and no harming".

However if I had to sum it all up, because as you can see I could just keep going on and on, I'd say that the one basic tenet of Islam that makes the difference between a Muslim and a non Muslim is that we believe that:

"There is no god but Allah, and that Muhammad is his servant and his messenger."

In a very famous Hadith, Muhammad tells us about the tenets of our belief or faith. And those are that we believe in:

1. Allah (the all Merciful, the ever Merciful, the One, the Unique, the Creator, the First, the Last, the Just etc)

2. All of his Angels

3. All of his Books (Qur'an, Gospel, Torah etc)

4. All of his Messengers (Muhammad, Jesus Christ, Moses, Abraham, Noah etc)

5. The Last Day (Day of judgement and the afterlife etc)

6. Fate or God's will whether it is good or bad.

What are the most major stories?
    Hmmm, I can't really think of one major story, there are so may accounts mentioned in the Qur'an relating to a lot of prophets. And by the way, Moses is the prophet most mentioned in the Qur'an. But I'm sure you'll find a lot of interesting accounts mentioned in the Qur'an
    Do they not, then, ponder about the Qur‘an? Had it been from someone other than Allah, they would have found in it much discrepancy. [4:82]

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them

Arnt the five pillars islam's commandments?
    世の中に潜み落下した「アレ」はねえか? 誰が書き換える 世界の汚れは?
    Do you have 'that' which lies dormant within society? Who can overwrite it, the filth in the world?

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=96.msg3656#msg3656 date=1287283258]
    What would you say are the basic tenets of Islam? Christianity has the ten commandments ...

[/quote]

Wouldn't the 10 Commandments still be considered applicable? I don't see anything in them that would merit overturning by a later Prophet. Now Deuteronomy and Leviticus in their entirety may not be held to but I'd think the 10 Commandments would gain acknowledgement from all 3 sects serving the God of Abraham.

Heh, one of these days, I need to stop cycling through the dozen or so names, titles and variations that I know of for this Power and stick to one of them.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

So, Dumuzi or anyone else who has studied Islam, with so many stories, do you have a favorite? If so, what is it?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

May 2005
    Religion
    Muslim

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=96.msg4048#msg4048 date=1287360502]
    Arnt the five pillars islam's commandments?
    [/quote]

Think of them as pillars on which Islam is built. Now the pillars of a building aren't exactly the same as the building itself, right?

We achieve the goals of Islam through the pillars of Islam. (Some of which don't become obligatory in certain situations by the way. The sick don't have to fast, the poor don't pay the Zakah, both sick and poor don't have to perform the Haj and so on)

[quote author=MaskedOne link=topic=96.msg4050#msg4050 date=1287361376]
    Wouldn't the 10 Commandments still be considered applicable? I don't see anything in them that would merit overturning by a later Prophet.
    [/quote]

You make a very good point MaskedOne.

That's why I said there are similarities that can be found in lots of religions. And there are a lot of good things that can be found in many religions.

And like you said, the ten commandments do go with Islam and not against it. So Islam is just there to confirm those rules.

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=96.msg4229#msg4229 date=1287409038]
    So, Dumuzi or anyone else who has studied Islam, with so many stories, do you have a favorite? If so, what is it?
    [/quote]

Hmm, it's really hard for me to pick a favorite!

But I can think of a couple of them that I think are nice.

1. How Abraham finds God by pondering other things which people used to worship, as the starts, the moon and the sun. The equivalent of it today for me would be to logically and critically think about other religions, which will end up leading you to the religion of Islam. Which is what I personally try to do!

2. Abraham and the Idols. In this story the Qur'an shows that you should not follow a religion just because you are born into it, and it happens to be the religion of your ancestors. Rather, you should follow reason and your mind. It's a really interesting story that takes place when Abraham was younger.

3. Moses and Al-Khidr. Another really interesting story about how things may happen in life which we may not understand, but end up being actually good things.

I'm sure if you ask other Muslims, they will have other answers
    Do they not, then, ponder about the Qur‘an? Had it been from someone other than Allah, they would have found in it much discrepancy. [4:82]

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them

Why was muhammid the last prophet why didn't god send more? We could always use a prophet don't you think? How much better would the world be if we had another prophet? Does islam have a messieh?
    世の中に潜み落下した「アレ」はねえか? 誰が書き換える 世界の汚れは?
    Do you have 'that' which lies dormant within society? Who can overwrite it, the filth in the world?

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Is Muhammad the last prophet or is he the last one that we've encountered to date?
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

May 2005
    Religion
    Muslim

[quote author=MaskedOne link=topic=96.msg4368#msg4368 date=1287428762]
    Is Muhammad the last prophet or is he the last one that we've encountered to date?
    [/quote]

Yes, he is the last prophet.

The Qur'an says:

Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but (he is) the Messenger of Allah, and the Seal of the Prophets: and Allah has full knowledge of all things. [33:40]

There's also lots sayings about that topic and here is one of them:

Narated By Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "My similitude in comparison with the other prophets before me, is that of a man who has built a house nicely and beautifully, except for a place of one brick in a corner. The people go about it and wonder at its beauty, but say: 'Would that this brick be put in its place!' So I am that brick, and I am the last of the Prophets."

So as you can see, the message and religion of Islam has been completed and perfected by the last messenger, Muhammad.

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=96.msg4345#msg4345 date=1287426380]
    Why was muhammid the last prophet why didn't god send more? We could always use a prophet don't you think? How much better would the world be if we had another prophet? Does islam have a messieh?
    [/quote]

He is the last one because the message has already been completed. Read the Hadith above and also the following verse where God says:

This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion. [5:3]

And also in the very last sermon of Muhammad before his death he said the following:

"... Reason well, therefore, O People, and understand words which I convey to you. I leave behind me two things, the Quran and my example, the Sunnah and if you follow these you will never go astray."

So the religion is complete. And the message has been conveyed to us. However, it is up to each one of us whether we want to accept the message or reject it. There is big emphasis on personal responsibility in Islam. And the job of the messengers of god is done. They were all preparing mankind for the final message, and that one was completed with the Qur'an.

So here is the religion of Islam, completed and perfected for us. Some people will choose to follow it, and others will choose to reject it.

Jun 2006
    Religion
    Hedge Pantheism
    Phrase
    Whatever satisfies the soul is the truth

So I know last time I asked a question, it went badly -- but bear with me here. I was reading a pregnancy board and this question comes directly from that.

First, I understand that in most Abrahamic religions, premarital sex is bad and so are babies out of wedlock, especially made with someone not of the same faith. I also know that these often result in shotgun weddings in traditional families or just a lot of shame. But according to this poster, a Muslim family will consider a child created this way an orphan and refuse to acknowledge it's existence.

The original poster was the pregnant woman in question; white and non-Muslim. Several women claiming to be Muslim on the board attacked her for "getting herself pregnant" (even though she'd been in a sexual and romantic relationship with the baby daddy for 3 years) and told her she was at fault. They also said she just better deal with it, because she didn't deserve any help with her child from it's father and father's family because she was, in essence, a whore.

Is this true? Is it a religious thing? Or is this maybe more of a cultural thing and this man is "hiding" behind religion as to not have to take responsibility for his part in making this baby?

Or is the original poster and her attackers just having a good case of internet drama?