X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about Islam (Ask Away!)

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg13785#msg13785 date=1289920097]
    Hmmmm

We do have books for children that talk about certain stories in the Qur'an because there are good morals in them. Like I had books called The Stories of the Prophets or Stories from the Qur'an. And in them you'd find things like, Story of Solomon, Story of Moses, Story of Jesus and so on. And sometimes they just focus on stories that might interest children specifically when they include animals and things like that.[/quote]

Yup, this is more what I mean...

Do you know of (or could you look for) any that are English language versions that you would feel comfortable recommending? For like, under 6?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=96.msg13863#msg13863 date=1289930526]
      Do you know of (or could you look for) any that are English language versions that you would feel comfortable recommending? For like, under 6?
      [/quote]

I second this. I'm on a quest to find and buy tons of kids books, or create my own, on various religons.

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg13756#msg13756 date=1289917773]
      Oh, that is indeed interesting! What made you want to take that class, if I may ask? Also, I'd totally help you out with anything you want. Just let me know if you need any help
      [/quote]

Why, this here topic, of course. I'm always interested in religions and since I can't do a math major because the classes are too far beyond my, I've decided to minor in religious studies. I feel that I have enough of a background with Christianity to skip over those courses, so mostly I'm taking classes in Asian religions. But I am going to take a course on Islam because I don't feel that I have enough information on it. I wanted to take their course on women in Islam as well, but it's only online and I have trouble keeping on track with online courses. I am very interested in women's positions in different cultures though.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=96.msg13863#msg13863 date=1289930526]

Yup, this is more what I mean...

[/quote]

I gotta do a little searching for this one. So it might take some time

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=96.msg14006#msg14006 date=1289956814]
        Why, this here topic, of course. I'm always interested in religions and since I can't do a math major because the classes are too far beyond my, I've decided to minor in religious studies. I feel that I have enough of a background with Christianity to skip over those courses, so mostly I'm taking classes in Asian religions. But I am going to take a course on Islam because I don't feel that I have enough information on it. I wanted to take their course on women in Islam as well, but it's only online and I have trouble keeping on track with online courses. I am very interested in women's positions in different cultures though.
        [/quote]

Ah, I see.

It's always nice to see someone willing to learn more, good luck with that!
        [4:82]

Comment

On that note, so am I. It's called Ahmadou and Hajji Baktash. Here's the course description:

This course will examine a West African Sufi and a Central Asian Sufi, both of whom become icons of transnational cultural resistance. We will look at their impact in popular culture and the positing of complexified Muslim identities in diverse contexts.

The prof is a brilliant Turkish Sufi who delights in breaking down categories of all kinds. I'm excited!

Comment

What is the difference between Sunni and Shiite Muslims?
            http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

[quote author=shadow1982 link=topic=96.msg14744#msg14744 date=1290117411]
              What is the difference between Sunni and Shiite Muslims?
              [/quote]

Oh good one!

The difference is really not that of religion, that is they are all following the same religion. However, it has a lot more to do with politics, at least with the way it started.

After Muhammad died, people had to choose a leader for the Muslims. One group wanted Abu Bakr to be the ruler, who was Muhammad's best friend and the closest to him, while another group wanted Ali to be the ruler. He was Muhammad's cousin and was also married to his daughter Fatima.

The majority though chose Abu Bakr, and that's how he became the new ruler of the Muslims.

Now here's the thing, the Shi'a (which is the Arabic word for followers or group of, as in the followers of Ali) have the opinion that whoever rules Muslims should be from the bloodline of Muhammad. While Sunnis believe it should be anyone who the Muslims choose.

It's interesting however that Ali himself didn't oppose Abu Bakr when he was elected but supported him as the new ruler of Muslims. He did the same thing with the following two rulers after Abu Bakr. Ali became the 4th ruler.

So as you can see it has more to do with politics than religion. There are a few differences in terms of certain rules here and there, but when it comes to the major beliefs, they all believe the same thing. They believe in the same god, in the same prophets, and read the exact same Qur'an.

Hope that was helpful

Comment

I've always thought of the Shi'ite/Sunni differences as being roughly equivalent to the differences among Protestant Christian denominations (historical splits often around a combination of politics and some finer theological points). Is that as accurate as a cross-cultural comparison can be, or is there a better way to think of it?

In Pagan terms, are we talking about Alex Sanders vs Gerald Gardner; Gardner vs Starhawk; or Gardner vs the Radical Fairies?

Comment

[quote author=Gwen link=topic=96.msg14855#msg14855 date=1290154705]
                  In Pagan terms, are we talking about Alex Sanders vs Gerald Gardner; Gardner vs Starhawk; or Gardner vs the Radical Fairies?
                  [/quote]

I have no idea who those people are ;D

So I can't really make that comparison. Same goes for the different Protestant denominations. So I apologize for that. (Yeah yeah I'm not that smart)

However, the only thing I can say is that it's not really the same situation because from my impression when you ask those people about their religion, they would answer you saying they are Baptist, Lutheran, (Roman) Catholic and so on. So you get the feeling it's a whole other sect or religion.

As opposed to Islam, we don't use those terms when asked about our religion. Like, I never in my life referred to myself using those words. If you were to ask me I'd simply say I am Muslim.

If you want to compare it with something, you could think of it as Republicans and Democrats. If I were to ask you what is your nationality you'd always tell me you are American. Of course, when I investigate more I might find out what your political views are.

With that said, if you want to know some of the different rules that Sunnis are Shi'a have is that Shi'a have something similar, although not the same, as the pope. It's more like a spiritual leader if you will. While Sunnis just have scholars and so on.

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg14871#msg14871 date=1290156762]
                    I have no idea who those people are ;D

So I can't really make that comparison. Same goes for the different Protestant denominations. So I apologize for that. (Yeah yeah I'm not that smart)

[/quote]

It would be like asking if its like the difference between a Granny Smith apple (which is tart and green) vs a Golden delicious apple (yellow and sweet) or an apple and an orange or an apple and a loaf or bread or an apple and a TV...
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=96.msg14896#msg14896 date=1290177643]
                      It would be like asking if its like the difference between a Granny Smith apple (which is tart and green) vs a Golden delicious apple (yellow and sweet) or an apple and an orange or an apple and a loaf or bread or an apple and a TV...
                      [/quote]

LOL

Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, it's like apples. If apples could bomb other people.

I keed I keed!

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=96.msg14757#msg14757 date=1290121213]
                        So as you can see it has more to do with politics than religion. There are a few differences in terms of certain rules here and there, but when it comes to the major beliefs, they all believe the same thing. They believe in the same god, in the same prophets, and read the exact same Qur'an.

Hope that was helpful
                        [/quote]

It was. Thank you
                        http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=96.msg14896#msg14896 date=1290177643]
                          [/quote]

Thanks for translating me! ;D Pagan history buff can be cryptic sometimes... The apples are two high ceremonial Wiccan traditions that developed around the same time with much rivalry but almost identical practices; the orange is a less ceremonial feminist craft; and the loaf of bread is, well, the name "Radical Faeries" tells you a lot, no?

Comment

Just wanted to ask about the Muslim concept of 'Sakina' [Shakhinah in Hebrew]. How do Muslims interpret and incorporate this idea into their faith?
                            Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

[quote author=cesara link=topic=96.msg15242#msg15242 date=1290268405]
                              Just wanted to ask about the Muslim concept of 'Sakina' [Shakhinah in Hebrew]. How do Muslims interpret and incorporate this idea into their faith?
                              [/quote]

Oh, I'm gonna enjoy answering this! ;D

There are two things you have to think about here.

1. The Arabic word Sakeena سكينة, which has the same root as the Hebrew word, and what it means in the Arabic language and how it was used in the Qur'an.

2. The Concept of Shakhina שכינה as understood in Judaism, and then comparing that concept to Islam.

Now let's start with the first part.

1. The direct translation of the word is "tranquility", "reassurance", "calm" and so on.

The root of the word roughly translates to " was still" or "rested", it's the opposite of "moving".

For example, if I were to ask you in Arabic "Where do you live?" I could use a word from the same root. In a way I'd be asking you, "Where is your dwelling place?". Actually, "dwelling places" in Arabic uses a word from the same root. This is kinda connected to the word Shekhina in Hebrew because it can mean a "dwelling" or "settling".

However, the word in Arabic is not used like that in the Qur'an. Here, are some examples of the word Sakeena being used (the underlined word):

It is He Who sent down tranquility into the hearts of the Believers, that they may add faith to their faith;- for to Allah belong the Forces of the heavens and the earth; and Allah is Full of Knowledge and Wisdom [48:4]

When those who disbelieved had put into their hearts chauvinism - the chauvinism of the time of ignorance. But Allah sent down His tranquility upon His Messenger and upon the believers and imposed upon them the word of righteousness, and they were more deserving of it and worthy of it. And ever is Allah, of all things, Knowing.
                              [48:26]

If you do not aid the Prophet - Allah has already aided him when those who disbelieved had driven him out [of Makkah] as one of two, when they were in the cave and he said to his companion, "Do not grieve; indeed Allah is with us." And Allah sent down his tranquility upon him and supported him with angels you did not see and made the word of those who disbelieved the lowest, while the word of Allah - that is the highest. And Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise. [9:40]

So as you can see it doesn't really mean the same thing as in Judaism, because it means that god has sent down calmness or tranquility into the hearts of those people to reassure them. But more about that in the second part.

2. First, I'd like to point out that I don't have enough knowledge about the concept of Shekhina in Judaism in order to compare it to Islam. But I did some research and will try to address this problem as best as I possibly can.

From what I understand it's the concept of god's dwelling or presence in the world. And is often described as a light.

Here's the thing about the concept of the presence of god according to Islam. God explains in the Qur'an that 'there is nothing like unto him' and that 'there is nothing like him'. That is we make a great distinction between creation and the creator.

When Muhammad wanted to test the belief of a woman he asked her where God is, and she simply pointed above. He said that her belief was correct.

However, I want you to understand something. While, we believe that God is not inside of creation, we still believe he is the all knowing, so his knowledge is everywhere. He is the Most Merciful, so his mercy is every where. He is the all Seeing and the all Hearing, so his sight and hearing are every where. Do you see what I mean?

Which will bring me to the subject of light, especially after reading what you said about the Shekhina as light.

One of the most beautiful verses of the Qur'an is one that describes the light of Allah. I will post a video of the verse being recited beneath my post, so you can listen to it yourself. It uses the description "Light upon Light" to describe it.

Anyways, the point I was trying to make is that the original understanding of the concept of Shekhina could very much be the same as in Islam, in my opinion. When one worships god in sincerity, for example, their heart is filled with that feeling of tranquility and peace. However, like I was trying to say before, even when we say that god is with someone, we do not mean that his is physically with someone, rather the power, support, love, mercy of god and so on is with that person.

Now here is the verse I was talking to you about, enjoy

[youtube]KBJ370TOaoc[/youtube]

Comment

Hey D,

This is inspired by the conversation in the other thread, about pantheism vs what the Bible says about there being one god. I really hope I word this right...

On this forum, we have a wide variety of beliefs, and there are many members who have had deeply personal experiences with The Divine that do not fit the way that you, or I, or someone else, might see God. Even within a specific religion, the way individuals interpret God, and therefor what God wants, and approves or disproves of, can be very different. Many people walk around their entire lives with an assumption that however they happen to see God is just the way it is, and overlay that assumption on their dealings with other people, for better or ill.

How do you, both personally, and as a Muslim, deal with the fact that the way people can experience Deity can be completely different? How do you explain it?

If someone had an intense spiritual experience, and, say, experienced God as female, or more then one being, would that mean that they had been deceived somehow, that the fundamentals of the way they see god are different, or that some other explanation was in order?
                                Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                                X