Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History of witchcraft

Harro all,

Can anyone point me in the direction of websites or books (preferably e-books) or towards historians who discuss the history of witchcraft? European or American, as long as its not Wikipedia

My Viking is struggling with sources for a uni essay and I figured, Hey I know a butt-load of pagans who might be able to point me in the direction to help him.

Re: History of witchcraft

Not exactly modern stuff but here is a listing of items regarding witchcraft that may interest you, especially fro a historical aspect.

Cornell's Witchcraft Collection contains over 3,000 titles documenting the history of the Inquisition and the persecution of witchcraft, primarily in Europe.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
      Not exactly modern stuff but here is a listing of items regarding witchcraft that may interest you, especially fro a historical aspect.

http://ebooks.library.cornell.edu/w/witch/digital.html
      Funnily enough, I've just printed a few pages from that site! But thanks anyways

I should clarify, we're mainly looking for things to do with witchcraft in the 14/15/1600s

Comment

For just general information, The Triumph of the Moon by Ronald Hutton. It covers a wide range of subjects, though focuses most of its time on Britain and what led up to the creation of Wicca, and how Wicca initially unfolded.

As for 1400-1600s, I know there was a lot of interest among philosophers in Kabbalah, and at that time a lot of the initial "grimoires" of magic were popping up. Those eventually gave rise to High Magic and whatnot. On the other hand of the coin, the witch hunts were going on at that time as well, so looking into those might be helpful. As far as I know (which may be wrong), witchcraft wasn't as commonly practiced during this period because the church still exercised immense control over the people, though in certain regions that may be false (like in Celtic nations).

Comment

For more ancient stuff, check out a book called "God against the Gods". Also, there are a number of good textbooks out there, but unfortunately, none of which I have the names memorized for.

When is this paper due?

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
          X