Where to begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to begin?

I used to fancy myself a Christian. This really is no longer the case. In fact, I have absolutely no desire to follow Abrahamic Traditions anymore. I am done with them. I don't like so many of their teachings and ideas.

I want to start following a pagan path. I just don't know which one would be the most advantageous or best for me. How do I find out which would be best?

Are there any articles here which talk about the different pagan paths and all the differences? I absolutely do believe in God and always will. So, I'm not sure how that would figure into things.
    I am a woman in a mans body and I hate being in the wrong body. I want out of this body. It's like a prison cell.

I used to be known as AdamKane in these parts.

Hail Satan.

Re: Where to begin?

Well you can check out the pagan tradition tab. Lots of good stuff in there. Not sure I'm the greatest spokesperson for Heathen (or if i even should be posting), but here goes.

I find that our beliefs are very practical if your seeking to better yourself and improve your station in life. One of the biggest points I've found about Norse practices is that hard work and the pursuit of knowledge are key to happy healthy life. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.) Many Heathens follow the 9 noble virtues: Courage, Truth, Honour, Fidelity, Disipline, Hospitality, Self Reliance, Industriousness, Perseverance.

I'm not really sure how to tie in your belief in God, but I've seen many people just take what they like from all these different views and forge their own path.

I've found that everyone on this site is extremely friendly and helpful so I'm sure you'll find what your looking for sooner or later.
    Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris the Bold View Post
      I'm not really sure how to tie in your belief in God,
      I can still tie it in, right?
      I am a woman in a mans body and I hate being in the wrong body. I want out of this body. It's like a prison cell.

Hail Satan.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamKane View Post
        I can still tie it in, right?
        Of course you can Paganism is non-dogmatic. Eclectic paganism may be of interest to you. I find that most pagans are eclectic to some degree or another, in fact, the very nature of the neo-pagan movement almost encourages it. It tends to be fairly free flowing and individualistic.

Blessings on your path.

Comment

On the surface it sounds like your closer to Gnostic's than anything else, especially if you want to retain your belief in God. I think many people have a narrow knowledge of the many paths that make up Christianity or Abrahamic faiths. Pow Wow or Pennsylvania Dutch magics also tie heavily into a folkish Christianity practice as do many forms of Appalachian Granny Type magics and beliefs.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by iflewoverthecuckoosnest View Post
          Of course you can Paganism is non-dogmatic. Eclectic paganism may be of interest to you. I find that most pagans are eclectic to some degree or another, in fact, the very nature of the neo-pagan movement almost encourages it. It tends to be fairly free flowing and individualistic.

Blessings on your path.
          Bolded mine, off topic reply

That sentiment is one of the reasons I've heard a lot of older practitioners claim that Neo-Paganism is the largest growing denomination of Christianity today. They claim pagan roots but nearly all of the bells and whistles are modified Christian aspects that they kept, even the God himself in many instances.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

There are many posts like yours, when someone isn't sure about which path he should follow.
            I recommend that you read a little about different paths, and look for data about them. This will help you decide.
            Each path has its own principles, but I believe that the goal is common- to find peace and harmony in the community.
            Best of luck, my friend!
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I agree with Gleb. I myself have been rediscovering my spirituality and what I have done is complied a list (thanks to some wonderful advice I got here) of all of the paths I am interested in. I'm now working my way through that list by reading books/articles about that particular subject. Your beliefs and spirituality are certainly not something you have to figure out all in one day, and you can really make any path your own. Just start out slow and know that if you have any questions I think it's safe to say that anyone here will be more then willing to answer them. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Jinx View Post
                I agree with Gleb. I myself have been rediscovering my spirituality and what I have done is complied a list (thanks to some wonderful advice I got here) of all of the paths I am interested in. I'm now working my way through that list by reading books/articles about that particular subject. Your beliefs and spirituality are certainly not something you have to figure out all in one day, and you can really make any path your own. Just start out slow and know that if you have any questions I think it's safe to say that anyone here will be more then willing to answer them. Good luck!
                Thank you all for the well wishes. I am interested in any path that is theistic (except of course for Abrahamic paths). Seriously, polytheism, monotheism, I could go either way.

Hail Satan.

Comment

When starting out, I'd say that examining various paths is the second step. The first step is getting familiar withouyrself and your own ideas/feelings/thoughts. Then you'll be in a good position to evaluate a path and how it might (or might not) fit your wants and needs.

If it helps, you can try doing THIS exercise.
                  "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Wow! This may be very helpful! Thank you so much! I'm going to start making some lists. Should I post them here?

Hail Satan.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamKane View Post
                      Wow! This may be very helpful! Thank you so much! I'm going to start making some lists. Should I post them here?
                      If you want. But you don't have to. The contents can be very personal and may be something you want to keep to yourself. However, if you're up for sharing, folks might be able to make some suggestions for you.

And you're welcome. Have fun with it.
                      "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by iflewoverthecuckoosnest View Post

Blessings on your path.
                        I appreciate that very much.

Hail Satan.

Comment

I had the same issue a little while ago. I just started with a list of things I definitely do believe, and things I don't. Which then had a 'but' put into it, and a list of things to ponder. It got me started, even if I'm not sure where I'm going yet. Also making my own definition of 'god' helped too. And I don't mean Yahweh or Thor, I mean like is god all around us? Or is he way of in the sky? What kind of relationship do I want and/or expect from god/s.

Good luck!
                          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                          Seen the desert and the birds
                          You cut your hair short
                          Like a shush to an insult
                          The world had been yelling
                          Since the day you were born
                          Revolting with anger
                          While it smiled like it was cute
                          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I recommend a little study in the history of religion. You'll find that concepts like monism have their origins in many places separate from Abrahamic religion, such as Kemeticism, Orphism, or Hinduism. Monotheism is a bit more rare, but there have also been a number of traditions that combine Abrahamic tradition with other influences, such as Western esotericism, or folk traditions like Dvorverie.
                            If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Perhaps a total aside note but one thing I recall being said over and over as I grew up was that the first step upon the pathway we choose is to take responsibility and accountability for our own actions and not try to place the blame elsewhere. Only then can you look to the spirits or gods / goddesses or even God and understand who you are and what it is you truly seek. Other wise its all about finding someone else to lay the blame upon and how easily they appear to accept said blame and the accountability and responsibility that goes with it.
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X