Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had a Christian try to convert me again, and I have a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a Christian try to convert me again, and I have a question.

Yesterday, I had someone sit down near me while I was waiting for the bus. She says "isn't this a great day that God allowed us to have?" and I was thinking "oh great, she's gonna try to convert me". Sure enough, she asked if I believe in Jesus. I told her I don't worship Yahweh anymore and when she asked why, I told her there's just too many contradictions in the Bible. Anyway, long story short, I told her I believe in Artemis, and she told me that the ancient Greeks actually were converted to Christianity, including many of their famous scholars and philosophers.

Now, I don't remember reading about Aristotle or Plato being converted to Christianity, and if these famous people were really converted, wouldn't there be something in history about it? I told her just because the Bible says it it doesn't make it true.

Also, she asked me what have the other gods done, and told me that Jesus died on the cross. Is there anything the other gods have done that's similar to what Jesus did? I know Shiva took a great poison onto himself (or maybe a wound that would've been deadly for humans) to prevent destruction of a city or something, but that's all I know.

I just know that I'll end up running into her again at some point since she had to use the same bus as me, and I could really use some ammo so I can at least convince her there's some merit to my faith, because in her eyes I'm a poor soul in need of saving.
    What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Re: Had a Christian try to convert me again, and I have a question.

There are many, many deities who follow the same general theme as Jesus, but most of the 'dying Gods' died for our crops, not our sins:

Dionysus
    Attis
    Osiris
    Mithra
    Zoroaster

... to name a few. Because the concept of 'sin' and 'taboo' aren't the same for most ancient faiths as they are for Christianity, and also because most of the ancient faiths embraced some version of reincarnation, most of the 'dying Gods' die and are reborn on a yearly cycle mirroring the agricultural fertility cycle or the fertility cycle of certain plants (Dionysus is mainly linked with grapes) or animals.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I suppose you could tell her Artemis became the ground work for the Virgin Mary and her Temple or House of Mary in Ephesus / Ephesos. Heck many of the names for Mary are found bestowed upon Artemis and Diana before Mary gained them. Even the foundation for the Christian Cult of Mary which was recognized by the Catholic Church in the 2nd or 3rd century A.D. and continued on for some time afterwards, up to at least the 6th or 7th century near as I recall at the moment. I seem to recall to that an image of Zeus was utilized to represent "God" for a number of years when Greece was being converted to Christianity. Said conversions especially between the 2nd and 5th century A.D. if I recall correctly.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

"I have no sins to atone for"

There you go.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Look up Prometheus. He didn't die for humanity but I expect that most humans would beg for death after a day or two of the punishment that was laid on him by Zeus.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by jcaternolo View Post
            I just know that I'll end up running into her again at some point since she had to use the same bus as me, and I could really use some ammo so I can at least convince her there's some merit to my faith, because in her eyes I'm a poor soul in need of saving.
            Recommendation: Don't waste your time discussing/arguing with her - it's pointless, unless you want, for some reason I can't imagine, to convert her.

The next time you run into her, sprawl out on a bench, and fart loudly. Then say "Ah! That felt good! I think I should do that again sometime soon..."

P.S. - Plato and Aristotle could not have converted to Christianity, since they were dead long before Christ was (?) born. The closest they could have come would have been to become Jewish...
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The "Converted" thing is a little different than choosing something,as in "convert" and we wont burn you alive.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Horus had protected ancient egypt from the evil. And so did many other Gods.
                You don't have to explain yourself in such situations. Your faith makes you feeling good with it - that what matters.
                Religions aren't in competition with each other.
                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  Recommendation: Don't waste your time discussing/arguing with her - it's pointless, unless you want, for some reason I can't imagine, to convert her.

The next time you run into her, sprawl out on a bench, and fart loudly. Then say "Ah! That felt good! I think I should do that again sometime soon..."
                  P.S. - Plato and Aristotle could not have converted to Christianity, since they were dead long before Christ was (?) born. The closest they could have come would have been to become Jewish...
                  Wonderful! The power of the holy fart should never be underrated.

If you cannot manage that (or are two polite) Mr Penry usually turns away and blows a wet raspberry on the back of his hand. Sounds about the same....
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

You don't owe this person anything. Not a single, solitary thing. And from experience, trying to prove the "merit" of your religion is useless. (My experiences are with atheists, but the same idea applies here.) Say something like, "I don't want to discuss this." and get snippier if she doesn't let up.

Seriously, don't engage in this foolery. You will. Not. Win.
                    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

I agree with Satu- don't get into it.
                      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

A number of people would tell you not to bother but I have to ask one question. Is your own faith not worth speaking of? If you are out to try and convert or change the person your speaking to then I tend to agree it's a waste of time and seems more based upon revenge or something similar. Yet if it is more about telling about your own faith regardless of whether it changes another then how can it be wrong for to speak on it requires one to understand it. To have had one ponder deeply about it and how it all relates.

Inversely many times we discover the depths to our own beliefs and faiths by trying to make ourselves knowledgeable of others beliefs and faiths. In many ways that is the essence of being eclectic. Not just to understand the surface action but to understand the greater and often more subtle social / moral and ethical things associated with it. You then can speak on nearly every aspect from your spiritual / religious beliefs in compare and contrast to another's.

Comment

Originally posted by jcaternolo View Post
                          Yesterday, I had someone sit down near me while I was waiting for the bus. She says "isn't this a great day that God allowed us to have?" and I was thinking "oh great, she's gonna try to convert me". Sure enough, she asked if I believe in Jesus. I told her I don't worship Yahweh anymore and when she asked why, I told her there's just too many contradictions in the Bible. Anyway, long story short, I told her I believe in Artemis, and she told me that the ancient Greeks actually were converted to Christianity, including many of their famous scholars and philosophers.

Now, I don't remember reading about Aristotle or Plato being converted to Christianity, and if these famous people were really converted, wouldn't there be something in history about it? I told her just because the Bible says it it doesn't make it true.

Also, she asked me what have the other gods done, and told me that Jesus died on the cross. Is there anything the other gods have done that's similar to what Jesus did? I know Shiva took a great poison onto himself (or maybe a wound that would've been deadly for humans) to prevent destruction of a city or something, but that's all I know.

Although you do not have to engage in any debate, it is always nice to have some information.
                          From a "Heathenish" perspective:

Things the gods have done for us:

Created the world.
                          Created mankind from two trees.
                          Maintained a tradition of having female deities and a more equal role for woman that christianity did

Generally most pantheons/gods tend to do the same thing. Most faiths have a sacrifice at some point (Loki sacrificed everything in his role as a servant of the fates and counterbalance to Odins plots...Yes that is a Pro-Loki interpretation of events).

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                            A number of people would tell you not to bother but I have to ask one question. Is your own faith not worth speaking of? If you are out to try and convert or change the person your speaking to then I tend to agree it's a waste of time and seems more based upon revenge or something similar. Yet if it is more about telling about your own faith regardless of whether it changes another then how can it be wrong for to speak on it requires one to understand it. To have had one ponder deeply about it and how it all relates.

Inversely many times we discover the depths to our own beliefs and faiths by trying to make ourselves knowledgeable of others beliefs and faiths. In many ways that is the essence of being eclectic. Not just to understand the surface action but to understand the greater and often more subtle social / moral and ethical things associated with it. You then can speak on nearly every aspect from your spiritual / religious beliefs in compare and contrast to another's.
                            Sometimes you just want to sit and wait for your bus in peace.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              Sometimes you just want to sit and wait for your bus in peace.
                              Oh I agree but once they speak and you acknowledge them that goes out the window.

Personally it doesn't bother me unless it's one of those people who talk simply to hear their own voices. Like some demented bunny they just keep going and going and going no matter how much you ignore them or tell them your not interested in talking. But I find those type seldom if ever are trying to convert or save you they just like the noise of their own voices.

Comment

Working...
                              X