New York City Bans References To Dinosaurs, Birthdays, Halloween, Dancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York City Bans References To Dinosaurs, Birthdays, Halloween, Dancing

According to the paper, the mandate is meant to curb fear that references to those topics might stir controversy among students. Dinosaurs, officials said, could bring up evolution, Halloween could suggest paganism, and birthdays might create animosity among students who are Jehovah's witnesses, since they don't celebrate them.

I added the bold to the Halloween thingy on account of this being a pagan site and all, but the whole thing is ridiculous.

If there is one thing we really don't want happening in this country (especially in a multicultural aggregate like New York), it's people hearing or reading words that might challenge their tiny, narrow, pathetic world views...*

*intended as sarcasm, for those who have trouble identifying it.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: New York City Bans References To Dinosaurs, Birthdays, Halloween, Dancing

NYC has always been full of BS, they're like the Arizona of the East, making crackpot laws to cater to certain group's desires.

Comment

Doesn't removing the "offensive" material make the paper's less realistic, to me it sounds like these steps would cushion the child taking the test from reality

Comment

Originally posted by Kahlenda View Post
        Doesn't removing the "offensive" material make the paper's less realistic, to me it sounds like these steps would cushion the child taking the test from reality
        Oddly, that seems to be the point.

Some people seem to find this desirable.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

I added the bold to the Halloween thingy on account of this being a pagan site and all, but the whole thing is ridiculous.

If there is one thing we really don't want happening in this country (especially in a multicultural aggregate like New York), it's people hearing or reading words that might challenge their tiny, narrow, pathetic world views...*

*intended as sarcasm, for those who have trouble identifying it.
          I know a lot of us don't believe in a hell, but I do and if truly ridiculous feats of ignorance are enough to earn one a place there then those who would do this shall certainly go there upon their death.

Comment

As much as I try, I still can't understand the purpose of the article.
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

It's kind of weird, thinking back about standardized tests (for me it was the hated 'California Achievement Test') I took in public elementary schools... I didn't learn about dinosaurs in school. I learned about them in a perfectly safe environment - public libraries and museums.

With all the trouble these things cause, why not just get rid of the standardized tests?
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                With all the trouble these things cause, why not just get rid of the standardized tests?
                The political answer is "They are good for education."

The correct answer is "Standardized testing is a multi-billion dollar growth industry that gives kickbacks to those in power who support them."

Take your pick.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  Oddly, that seems to be the point.

Some people seem to find this desirable.
                  Oh great, and then when that child finnishes school and get's kicked out into the real world, they are totally unprepared for the truth of it. oh thats a brilliant, oh bravo give this einstien the effing pulitzer prize...... idiot's.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahlenda View Post
                    Oh great, and then when that child finnishes school and get's kicked out into the real world, they are totally unprepared for the truth of it. oh thats a brilliant, oh bravo give this einstien the effing pulitzer prize...... idiot's.
                    Yeah - it's the reason that a beautiful woman of Indian ancestry (she was first gen American) can win the Miss America thing, and get people into an uproar because "Miss America should be an American."

When people are subtly (or maybe not so subtly) taught that there isn't diversity in this country, they imagine that whatever group they happen to be in or surrounded by is the "core" or "backbone" of the country, and those who are different from them are interlopers.

Comment

Home of the brave and land of the free... and we're all scared of knowledge... Harmless knowledge at that... So we forbid knowledge.

Comment

Political correctness at its worst. Thought crime is not crime.

Comment

Yeh yeh,I so remember being traumatized by snakes and frogs and Dirt,don't forget the dirt as a kid(NOT) You really can't shield children from life because they might end up with some bad feelings. Learning to deal with bad feelings makes you stronger.
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

My rage at reading this article, is like the rage of a thousand suns...

I can only think of one word: 'Murica.

Comment

*shakes head*
                              My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

Working...
                              X