Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Herbalist course?

So...

I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I think I really want to get my Master Herbalist/Traditional Herbalist diploma. Does anyone here know anything about any of those programs, and do you think it could ever be a viable source of income?

I want it, but I'm struggling with the idea of returning to school for something that won't make me money.

I mean, if you could go to a herbalist instead of a doctor, would you?

Mostly art.

Re: Master Herbalist course?

I think that it depends on what you are going to do with it.
    If you're going to use it in order to help your friends and relatives, then you can just study different herbs and their features.
    But if you're going to make money this way, then you should visit a special course somewhere and do an exam in the end of it..
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I looked at a couple of programs and...dayum they are expensive. If I were going to do one, I know which one I'd do (I think) and I'd wait until I was retired. Because honestly, the chances of making a living from it, I think are pretty slim....particularly if you don't want to a) be a supplement pusher, or b) don't have the means to have your own land and facilities to host classes and workshops on herb gardening and making preparations. It seems to me that those two groups do the best in terms of business success--not rollin' in the dough, but making some money. Of course, it also depends on where you live and how open to that people are...here, some, but not enough to keep most folks in business.

And, there's quite a bit of liability involved...
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Depending on where you want to practice your herbal medicine, ymmv.

I know that at least here in the US, if you want to be a licensed health practitioner you can't really do it on herbalism/traditional medicine alone. It's more like, you can be a health practitioner who suggests herbal/dietary supplements. Some states do have certification for herbal/traditional practitioners, but you still aren't a doctor and aren't licensed to diagnose or treat illness in a physician's capacity (and you can still be charged with fraud for attempting to practice medicine without a license). Some states even have legislation that makes herbalism & alternative medical proceduires (like accupuncture) illegal unless you're already a licensed physician.

Personally, I wouldn't waste the money on any school, especially one claiming it was 'accredited' - it may not even be able to be accredited for alternative medical education - until I had done some heavy research into the local laws.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
        X