Arthurian Myth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arthurian Myth!

Recently I've been watching a lot of Arthurian films/TV shows, and when I finish my next book, I'm going to get started reading "Le Mort de Arthur" finally... But I've always adored Arthurian stuff.

Any other lovers of it here?
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Re: Arthurian Myth!

I go back and forth with Arthurian Lore. I've actually been considering re-reading Le Mort de Arthur the last few days. While he is not a big aspect of the total story The History of the Kings of Briton by Geoffrey of Monmouth has some things about Arthur that are an interesting read.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
      I go back and forth with Arthurian Lore. I've actually been considering re-reading Le Mort de Arthur the last few days. While he is not a big aspect of the total story The History of the Kings of Briton by Geoffrey of Monmouth has some things about Arthur that are an interesting read.
      Geoffrey is on my list as well, definitely, since he is one of the earliest sources. I'd like to get a hold of a copy of him. "Le Mort" is a book I am really surprised I haven't read, with how much I adored "The Once and Future King" growing up.

Comment

You might find this site of interest then

- - - Updated - - -

Comment

Also try The mabinogion. A collection of very old Welsh folktales, mostly Christianised, but very good.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

thank you everyone! Those are good links, and I'll have to check those works out when I have the time.

While I've been doing menial things I've been watching lots of Arthurian movies. Its pretty amazing how vastly different the stories can be from each other, especially between films like "the Mists of Avalon" and a film like "First Knight" where the religious message is entirely different.

Comment

Yup, huge fan of Arthurian stories Currently reading Steinbeck's The Acts of King Arthur and his Noble Knights, and two of my favorite movies are Excalibur and the 1996 Merlin (with Sam Neill etc). This scene with Merlin and Morgana gives me goosebumps. Can't get it to load to the right spot, but start it at 3 minutes in. Apparently Williamson and Mirrin hated eachother at the time, and you can really see it in their performance.

More Merlin

Comment

I love Excalibur! WONDERFUL movie!

I've been keeping track of my Arthurian viewing, (I'm calling it the Arthur-a-Thon) So far I've watched:
                -The Sword in the Stone
                -The Mists of Avalon
                -King Arthur
                -Quest for Camelot
                -Excalibur (YEAAAAAH!)
                -First Knight
                -Pendragon: Sword of his Father
                -The Last Legion
                -Merlin (the TV Miniseries)
                -Merlin Series 1 (The BBC show)
                -Camelot (The Musical movie ! )
                -Camelot (the STARS tv show)
                -Doctor Who: Battlefield

I'll be ending it all with Monty Python and the Holy Grail once I get through the rest of my viewing list (which has 4 more seasons of Merlin)

Comment

Seems like you need to add the movie THE SWORD OF THE VALIANT (Sean Conney as the Green Knight) which is another part of the tale of THE GREEN Knight and Galahad. That and maybe Prince Valiant which ties into a bit of Authurian lore.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                    Seems like you need to add the movie THE SWORD OF THE VALIANT (Sean Conney as the Green Knight) which is another part of the tale of THE GREEN Knight and Galahad. That and maybe Prince Valiant which ties into a bit of Authurian lore.
                    I think you are correct! I'll have to track those down!

I want to add Merlin and the Crystal Cave as well... But its not on DVD, steaming, or even torrents, only VHS....

Comment

There is a series of episodes called Merlin and the Crystal Cave that is listed on Youtube. Not sure that is the one your looking for though.

Comment

those are all from the Merlin BBC tv show, which had a plotline named after the Book/Movie Merlin and the Crystal Cave, at least as far as I can see. Thanks for looking.

Comment

Le Morte is pretty entertaining, once you get used to the language, although you might want to skim through the long bits where Arthur goes back and forth to Rome.

The Mary Stewart book series that begins with The Crystal Cave is excellent - one of my favorites.

Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parzival is a bit of a hard slog, but is also quite good, once you get into it. Eschenbach was a knight (like Mallory), and occasionally inserts some sarcastic criticism about knighthood in his day in. They are worth watching for.

The Quest for the Holy Grail (anonymous) is heavily Christianized (Percival, when tempted by an attractive succubus, sees the cross guard of his sword, remembers Jesus on the cross, and narrowly avoids sin, for example), but a is good read if you like period literature.

And then there's Monty Python...
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I can't think of much that isn't already listed, but I can add:

this site: http://labyrinth.georgetown.edu/disp...rian%20Studies

Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising is a series of books for young people rooted in Arthurian legend

Chretien de Troyes also wrote several Arthurian romances that I find quite readable (much more so than Parzifal, at least...)
                            OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
                            The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
                            Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jack Whyte's series, a Dream of Eagles.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                              X