The Asatru edda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Asatru edda

Has anyone here read it? I purchased it the other day on my kindle but I haven't gotten around to reading it as I am a really busy college student swamped with "suggested" reading for my current classes. Just want to know if I should force it into my reading schedule.

Re: The Asatru edda

What is the Asatru Edda? I only know of the Poetic and Prose Eddas.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I haven't heard of it either! Now ich bin curious.
      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Well the description for it on amazon was:

"From the ashes arises the sacred lore of the North, the ancient stories and proverbial wisdom of the Ásatrú religion. Mighty Gods and fierce Giants battle in the never-ending struggle between order and chaos, while men seek honor and glory in the eyes of their beloved deities. After many years of research and piecing together sources, now comes the first known holy text ever presented for the Ásatrú faith. Giving these ancestral accounts in their true, epic form, The Ásatrú Edda is designed as a religious work by and for the men and women of this path. In reconstructing this sacred epic, the idea is to create a living storytelling tradition that will honor the legacy of the ancient Teutonic peoples, while providing an in-depth source of Ásatrú wisdom for our modern world."

I picked it up because it was on kindle for $3 instead of the $35 for an actual book and seeing as I don't have a lot of cash (broke college guy) I figured grab it before the price goes up.

Comment

Who's it written/edited by?

RIP

You cut your hair short
          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

It sounds like it's just the Eddas branded under a different name. They probably took the stories out of verse and put them into prose. Personally I prefer The Poetic Edda Lee M Hollander translation. Although I wish it had copies of the originals in it as well as translations.

Comment

The Norroena Society.... not sure who they are

Comment

Originally posted by lostsoulwanders View Post
                The Norroena Society.... not sure who they are

Comment

I don't know all that much about the Eddas, but I'd assume that one should start with the original (or ya know) translations? I've been posting the Bellows translation in the Voluspa thread for discussion, so you could have a look at that if you like only 45 verses so far, but pretty good for study material. One day we might even get all the way through it! HaHa

and Claude, MoonRaven is using an original of some form in that thread too, you could ask her about it, and I think she posted some info somewhere about it.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                  Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

"The Elder Eddas of Saemund Sigfusson. Translated from the Original Old Norse Text into English by Benjamin Thorpe and The Younger Edda of Snorre Sturleson Translated from the Original Old Norse Text into English by I.A. Blackwell. (Benjamin Thorpe’s 1865-1866 translation, originally titled The Edda of Sæmund the Learned, has been amended to exclude the poem Hrafnagaldur Óðins or Forspallsljóð)."

that I think is the contents of your book

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                      "The Elder Eddas of Saemund Sigfusson. Translated from the Original Old Norse Text into English by Benjamin Thorpe and The Younger Edda of Snorre Sturleson Translated from the Original Old Norse Text into English by I.A. Blackwell. (Benjamin Thorpe’s 1865-1866 translation, originally titled The Edda of Sæmund the Learned, has been amended to exclude the poem Forspallsljóð)."

that I think is the contents of your book
                      I think you may be right. I'm not too sure as I have yet to really read past the preface of the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                        I don't know all that much about the Eddas, but I'd assume that one should start with the original (or ya know) translations? I've been posting the Bellows translation in the Voluspa thread for discussion, so you could have a look at that if you like only 45 verses so far, but pretty good for study material. One day we might even get all the way through it! HaHa

and Claude, MoonRaven is using an original of some form in that thread too, you could ask her about it, and I think she posted some info somewhere about it.
                        I have a copy of the poetic edda I found at a used book store way back when I just need to find it. I'll also have to look into this thread you speak of. ^__^

Comment

There is also an old Havamal thread, but it's so long, and some of the formatting is poor cos its from before the crash. When we finish the Voluspa, I expect we will start the Havamal, and do it again.

enjoy

RIP

You cut your hair short
                          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment