• Show
Clear All

New shinies!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	356018

So I bought some new stones, there is a peacock ore, fluorite, 'Sputnik' aragonite, and that huge perfect piece of what I'm pretty sure is calcite, but I've never seen a piece like this.

Thoughts?
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Re: New shinies!

I saw the title and first thought of alternate colored pokemon ....

Anyway! they're very pretty. The big thing looks like calcite to me (if you really wanted to be sure it should bubble when it comes in contact with acid).
    Circe

Comment

Very pretty! I agree with Corvus. Lol. Looks like a huge calcite stone.
      Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
        I saw the title and first thought of alternate colored pokemon ....

Anyway! they're very pretty. The big thing looks like calcite to me (if you really wanted to be sure it should bubble when it comes in contact with acid).
        Im not putting acid in it!!! Terrible! Haha

but yeah, I'm pretty sure it's calcite. I've been comparing it with my existing pieces of honey calcite and Iceland spar, and I'm pretty convinced.

And I cannot stop touching it!

RIP

You cut your hair short
        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
          Im not putting acid in it!!! Terrible! Haha

but yeah, I'm pretty sure it's calcite. I've been comparing it with my existing pieces of honey calcite and Iceland spar, and I'm pretty convinced.

And I cannot stop touching it!
          If you don't want to put acid on it, calcite has a feature called 'double refraction'. If its clear enough to see through, hold it up to a piece of paper with writing on it - it should show you the writing/image duplicated.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
            If you don't want to put acid on it, calcite has a feature called 'double refraction'. If its clear enough to see through, hold it up to a piece of paper with writing on it - it should show you the writing/image duplicated.
            Just like a good piece of Iceland spar!

Btw it works. Thanks for reminding me of that one.

now I just want to hold it again.

RIP

You cut your hair short
            Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Three bucks for the calcite My prices are competitive
              White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
              sigpic
              In Days of yore,
              From Britain's shore
              Wolfe the dauntless hero came
              And planted firm Britannia's flag
              On Canada's fair domain.
              Here may it wave,
              Our boast, our pride
              And joined in love together,
              The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
              The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Just goin' by the pic, it actually looks like Icelandic feldspar (also known as sunstone). I have a couple of a little larger than palm-sized pieces of it, nice stuff. Used to be illegal to take it out of Iceland.
                I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
                Clan of my Clan
                Kin of my Kin
                Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Calcite also has a fairly distinctive texture and energy to it. If you've got other calcite pieces you should be able to ID that one pretty easily. It's hard to tell from the photos... is it striated or is that just the light refracting oddly in the photo?

I got some new babies myself at the Mind, Body, Soul Expo on Saturday... amegreen, peridot and a lovely little desert rose.

One day, Heka, take a trip to Mildura and visit Woodsie's Gem Shop. OMG. It is most definitely worth the trip (at least from Adelaide lol). The rest of Mildura is a hole but that one little store is amazing. It's run by a family of lapidarists who make their own jewelry and it is stunning. They have raw and tumbled stones, most of which they mined themselves. And so may necklaces, earrings and rings... the energy in the store is absolutely amazing and even though they aren't spiritual they have a genuine respect for the stones. I got talking to the elderly patriarch when I was there and he was telling me stories of his mining trips, and how he lets the stone speak for itself when designing a jewelry piece. The prices are very reasonable and the stones have great energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                    Three bucks for the calcite My prices are competitive
                    Cost me 6! So no!

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                    Just goin' by the pic, it actually looks like Icelandic feldspar (also known as sunstone). I have a couple of a little larger than palm-sized pieces of it, nice stuff. Used to be illegal to take it out of Iceland.
                    Icelandic feldspar/Iceland spar/sunstone/calcite, I believe are all the same. This piece I would call a 'sunstone' as opposed to my quartz-clear 'Iceland spar' and all my many colours of 'calcite'. And this one is about palm sized, I can't believe I found it in blinman of all places (Rae'ya might know that place)

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                    Calcite also has a fairly distinctive texture and energy to it. If you've got other calcite pieces you should be able to ID that one pretty easily. It's hard to tell from the photos... is it striated or is that just the light refracting oddly in the photo?
                    uh not sure what you mean by striated, you can see, within it, like lines, it's kinda shelves with in the thing, I guess that's just the way the layers formed though

One day, Heka, take a trip to Mildura and visit Woodsie's Gem Shop. OMG. It is most definitely worth the trip (at least from Adelaide lol). The rest of Mildura is a hole but that one little store is amazing. It's run by a family of lapidarists who make their own jewelry and it is stunning. They have raw and tumbled stones, most of which they mined themselves. And so may necklaces, earrings and rings... the energy in the store is absolutely amazing and even though they aren't spiritual they have a genuine respect for the stones. I got talking to the elderly patriarch when I was there and he was telling me stories of his mining trips, and how he lets the stone speak for itself when designing a jewelry piece. The prices are very reasonable and the stones have great energy.
                    Ah Woodsies, I have a few pieces from there, my favourite being a garnet ring. Also bought my first double terminated quartz there too, that place is heaven.... And the maze is fun too! (One of my best friends is from mildura, she was sure to take me there when I visited!)

RIP

You cut your hair short
                    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I got a piece of Star Mica awhile back. I found me in the shop we have here (Cosmic Connections). Just got done cleansing it along with my sister's Quartz w/hematite she got earlier in the week.

Comment

!Icelandic feldspar/Iceland spar/sunstone/calcite, I believe are all the same. This piece I would call a 'sunstone' as opposed to my quartz-clear 'Iceland spar' and all my many colours of 'calcite'. And this one is about palm sized, I can't believe I found it in blinman of all places (Rae'ya might know that place)
                        I do indeed lol. You bought it there?

uh not sure what you mean by striated, you can see, within it, like lines, it's kinda shelves with in the thing, I guess that's just the way the layers formed though
                        'Striated' means with parallel lines in it.

Ah Woodsies, I have a few pieces from there, my favourite being a garnet ring. Also bought my first double terminated quartz there too, that place is heaven.... And the maze is fun too! (One of my best friends is from mildura, she was sure to take me there when I visited!)
                        Then you have experienced the amazingness lol. My dad lives in Mildura, as does my childhood best mate. It's almost worth visiting my dad more often just so I can go to Woodsies! Hubby, my sister, my baby niece and my 3yo nephew went last time we were there... my nephew loved the maze, though we only did one side of it, because we decided to go left. Can't imagine how long it would have taken us if we'd headed right like the guy at the cafe advised! We came away with quite a few pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                          I do indeed lol. You bought it there?

'Striated' means with parallel lines in it.

Then you have experienced the amazingness lol. My dad lives in Mildura, as does my childhood best mate. It's almost worth visiting my dad more often just so I can go to Woodsies! Hubby, my sister, my baby niece and my 3yo nephew went last time we were there... my nephew loved the maze, though we only did one side of it, because we decided to go left. Can't imagine how long it would have taken us if we'd headed right like the guy at the cafe advised! We came away with quite a few pieces.
                          Yup, bought them all in blinman haha!

and yes Striated it is then I guess.

now I want to go to mildura again haha

RIP

You cut your hair short
                          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Very beautiful. I love quartz though.
                            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Working...
                            X