Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broom Closet Advice?

Apr 2014
    Religion
    Tameran Wicca

Re: Broom Closet Advice?

I'm going to agree with that. Being pagan isn't about the altar, books, herbs, or spells. It's about living your daily life as a pagan. So parents can take your books, altar, and other things away from you but as long as you live by your path then your still a pagan. Example: I'm a Tameran Wiccan, though I'm leaning towards Celtic Wicca. I don't know, I guess it's the land calling to me or something. Anyway, my mother was once supportive of me and I was very open about being a Wiccan and Pagan. But then she told me, during my mid twenties, that she didn't want me to practice Wicca in her house. I had to find ways to practice, as I consider myself an adult and can do my own thing. It's worked and my mother has no idea that I'm still Wiccan. When I get my own place, then I can be open once again.

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Phrase
    Rawr

I support the idea written above. Taking away someone's tools doesn't prevent him from being a follower of a pagan / non pagan faith. I'm Kemetic, and I barely use my amulets. Only in a time of need, when I barely move, so they help me a bit.
    My advice is: be careful to whom you reveal your being pagan. Sometimes there is a need to try, when there are 50% of hearing something like: "being pagan is wrong blah blah blah..." and 50% of a peaceful conversation.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Aug 2013
    Religion
    Spiritual

Man, is it nice to know I'm not the only one in the under-my-Christian-parents'-roof situation.

I wouldn't just come out and tell them, especially since they spent thousands of dollars on a private school in an attempt to "instill a solid Christian foundation". Once I'm on my own, I'll let them find out on their own. No need to open up that can of worms at the dinner table.

Jun 2014
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan

I only reveal to my family what I know they can handle. My mom (whom I am very close to), sister, and a select few other family members know that I'm pagan, but only know the most basic description I have given them so as not to freak them out. I remember the first time I had the conversation with my mom, which turned out partially good; she has always been open-minded about things and didn't mind me being Pagan in general, but said if she saw any hint of ritualistic activity (such as an altar) she would "put a stop to it" and possibly take me to a counselor. Talk about ouch. Just when I thought I had someone close to me who was accepting of everything, raised me, and has supported me through everything my entire life, I find one thing that is particularly close and meaningful to me and she suddenly wasn't so accepting anymore.
    My point being, if you decide to tell them be prepared for the unexpected; it would definitely be wise to keep things unsaid until you have your own place, and be very careful with what you reveal or how you choose to reveal it. The ultimate goal I think would be to open up to them in a way that would not cause an upset of your entire family dynamic.