This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems Sleeping?

Sooo, I know for many years I've had issues sleeping. Part of it due to nightmares from a shit past, part of it being I have issues sleeping alone, and part of it being....I just couldn't ever relax enough to sleep or stay asleep. I tried many, many different sleeping meds (minus a few doctor supplied ones because I never had the money to go) as well as just home ideas.

I figure I'm not the only one with this problem.

One thing I found that helped was the chewable Unisom pills (which didn't really help get me to sleep, but did help me stay asleep).
    Depending on the night, some hot tea. Usually one called "Tension Tamer" made by Celestial Tidings worked best to help me zonk out.

But recently I just found this link: http://soundstosleepto.com/ and holy crap is this thing amazing. I wasn't even sleepy but I've got it set to full volume campfire and about 1/8th volume waves and right now I don't feel like moving. It's this perfect mix to just sit back and relax and now I just wanna curl up in a ball, cuddle my stuffed penguin, and go to sleep and stay there. Only thing better I think would be to actually go down to the beach and start a fire, but I have a feeling that we wouldn't be allowed to do that. However, this way, we miss the whole "sand in everything" experience.

Anyone else have any good tips for helping people chill enough to sleep, or help them get to/stay asleep?
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
    sigpic

Re: Problems Sleeping?

The best solution I've found, and I've tried a lot, is a herbal pill sold locally with celandine, hops, blue lotus and scullcap. It's a bit heavy when it kicks in, but it works much better than any of the pharmaceutical meds I've tried, and without the hangover the next morning.

Comment

My best "sleep aids" have basically revolved around habits and bedtime routine. I shower every night just before bed (hot water = relaxant), I only sleep in my bed (it's not used for any other activities such as eating or crafts), and I read a bit every night before I turn out the lights. Usually it works, once in awhile I still get the nightmares but I'll probably always get a few of those throughout my life anyway.

Comment

I swallow pills. Lots of them.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

This is amazing. Thanks so much
          As a person who has had long term issues with insomnia, I can say that what's always helped me the most is simply keeping up a regular schedule. It's simple, but I have a hard time keeping up the discipline to maintain it.
          Getting lots of exercise throughout the day helps too. As does just a bit of Indica before bedtime :P Perhaps controversial and not for everybody, but it works better than any sleeping pill I've ever tried.

Comment

Have you tried putting a fresh (or as fresh as you can get) sprig of Rosemary under your pillow?

This does not induce sleep as much as it provides protection... protection from nightmares. Of Rosemary's many abilities are: Protection, Mental Powers, Exorcism, Purification, Healing, Sleep.

Does it work? I have a dog that was severely abused as a young dog; he has seizures and nightmares. On the nights when he will stay in one place on the bed and I can get a sprig of Rosemary under him, he sleeps quietly with no evidence of nightmares.

To help it along, simply hold it in your hands and give it your "intent". Imagine what you want it to do (calm your mind, prevent nightmares, etc.) and see it doing just that. You may want to try a cup of Rosemary tea before bed as well. It's not horrible, I can drink it without any sweetening, but a little sugar (or honey) can make it easier to take.

Try this in addition to anything else you are trying. That way it is easier to see what effect the Rosemary has for you. It may be that the Rosemary will be the "missing piece" needed to solve your problem; or you could find out that Rosemary is all you need.

Good luck, or good night... witchever.

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but...

Melatonin, and valerian. Alternate between the two - take one for a few weeks, and then switch. That's how I do it.

Valerian tastes like nasty ass, though.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post

Melatonin, and valerian. Alternate between the two - take one for a few weeks, and then switch. That's how I do it.

There is actually a really good way to make Valerian taste better I make Valerian root tincture myself and use/have used it as a sleep aid. Works great for me. You can either make it with alcohol, but there are ways to make it without the alcohol...hence some people don't/cant drink it. When it's in a concentrated form (-> tincture)...One can make a favorite cup of tea, be it peppermint, chamomile etc. (please no green or black tea, since they have a substance referred to as Tein...which is the same as Caffeine...it will cause the exact opposite from sleeping)
                Anyway I was saying, one would make a cup of tea, then add 30 to 40 drops of the Valerian root tincture....and some sugar or honey, if wanted. And TADA...you don't feel like you're drinking water steeped in smelly, 6 weeks old socks. XD lol

Comment

Last week was 'sleep week' and I was going to start a thread actually. I saw something on a sort of alternative morning TV show called 'News, naze taro' on Japanese TV (asahai) last week. They discussed the issue of insomnia and talked about ways to help you get to sleep. The one that really surprised me, was eating something spicey before bed. When I saw my friend, I mentioned this to her and that it seemed like a really weired tip. She said she'd tried it and swears by it. I'm yet to try it myself, but I definitely want to. She says when she first came to England (she's a Japanese speaking Indonesian with near-perfect English! She's awesome!), she found it really hard to sleep because of the time difference, so tried this tip and it really worked. Worth a try then I guess.

My biggest worry is that my sleep pattern is doing serious damage to my body. The experts on the show I saw, also spoke about how important certain hours of the night are for the body as that's when it does most of it's cell growth and repair. They didn't say anything about working nightshifts, but did say that disrupted sleep disturbs this process and the affects can build up and cause harm, over time. I do sleep. but not so well when I sleep through the day. I also sleep at night on my nights off, and sleep longer, into the afternoon, on the day of my first shift.. staying up all day and night until the following morning.. my sleep is all over the place and it scares me.
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post

this...and practice good sleep hygiene
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      See... that article even mentions spicy food specifically, and although it doesn't directly say it, it hints that it is bad for you. That's why I was so surprised. Yet, like I say, both the 'sleep expert' on the show, and my friend, insist it works.
                      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                        See... that article even mentions spicy food specifically, and although it doesn't directly say it, it hints that it is bad for you. That's why I was so surprised. Yet, like I say, both the 'sleep expert' on the show, and my friend, insist it works.
                        It could be an urban myth perpetuated by the placebo affect.

Comment

The best remedy I've discovered, and I've tried a lot, is a natural tablet marketed regionally with celandine, trips, red lotus and scullcap. It's a bit large when it sneakers in, but it performs much better than any of the drug medicines I've tried, and without the hangover the next morning hours.

Comment

I recently saw on a show called something like 'Trust me, I'm a Doctor', where they tested the difference sleeping for 6.5 hours vs 7.5 hours had on people. The results made me really worried about my own sleep pattern. I also heard from the same show, that it is the blue light in daylight that causes havoc for people like me who need to sleep during the day. Thay also said that the light from PC monitors and many smart-phones, imitates daylight and can interrupt our natural rhythms. It seems to explain why people can so easily stay up into the early hours of the morning on FB (FB's blue interface must make it even worse!). I heard there's a program you can install that alters the colours of the screens of such devices, to filter out all the blue light during the evening. Unfortunately, as I work nights, this would only work if I changed the clock. So instead, I've banned my laptop altogether before bed, bought a bed (I was sleeping on a futon and decided that now we have the space for a bed, it was time to let that thing go), and I sit reading for half an hour before I sleep, with brown/orange tinted sunglasses on, that filter out blue light. The problem is, I've become so paranoid, that worrying about sleep is making it harder to sleep. So I ended up having to try sleeping pills. I only take half the recommended dose, and a quarter of the dose on my first shift back at work, because I've slept at night, so only need a short top-up sleep. I only need the pills when I sleep during the day, and I've ordered a portable daylight simulator for treating SAD, that I'll sit by at work. This will hopefully help to trick my brain into switching time zones. Then I can come off the tablets altogether.

I cant deny, that I feel much more alert and my memory seems a bit sharper, when I've been sleeping properly. I'm dreaming more, which is a good sign I think!

Comment

I have never had a problem sleeping,in fact I can drop off pretty easy. The other half of this is I had a really BAD habit of going days(sometimes as much as a week) without sleep on purpose. Mainly this happened when I was on kinda a mental "Run",wrapped up in some "Quest". Also there were at times drugs involved as well.

Not to diminish others sleep problems. For some people I worked with it was caused by lack of the ability to let go of things at work. For me,when the quitting bell rang,work did NOT exist. I think some people get way to wrapped up in their work time and can't find a way to just let work be just that,work and not a prime theme to their lives.

As always the IMF will disavow any connection if I don't just STFU and take a nap....
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                              X