Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems Sleeping?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

Re: Problems Sleeping?

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    See... that article even mentions spicy food specifically, and although it doesn't directly say it, it hints that it is bad for you. That's why I was so surprised. Yet, like I say, both the 'sleep expert' on the show, and my friend, insist it works.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Bronze Member iflewoverthecuckoosnest's Avatar
    Dec 2012
    Religion
    Searching, drawn to Mayan mythology and Eastern Religions
    Phrase
    Sri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram Sita Ram Sita Ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post
    See... that article even mentions spicy food specifically, and although it doesn't directly say it, it hints that it is bad for you. That's why I was so surprised. Yet, like I say, both the 'sleep expert' on the show, and my friend, insist it works.
    It could be an urban myth perpetuated by the placebo affect.

Feb 2014

The best remedy I've discovered, and I've tried a lot, is a natural tablet marketed regionally with celandine, trips, red lotus and scullcap. It's a bit large when it sneakers in, but it performs much better than any of the drug medicines I've tried, and without the hangover the next morning hours.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

I recently saw on a show called something like 'Trust me, I'm a Doctor', where they tested the difference sleeping for 6.5 hours vs 7.5 hours had on people. The results made me really worried about my own sleep pattern. I also heard from the same show, that it is the blue light in daylight that causes havoc for people like me who need to sleep during the day. Thay also said that the light from PC monitors and many smart-phones, imitates daylight and can interrupt our natural rhythms. It seems to explain why people can so easily stay up into the early hours of the morning on FB (FB's blue interface must make it even worse!). I heard there's a program you can install that alters the colours of the screens of such devices, to filter out all the blue light during the evening. Unfortunately, as I work nights, this would only work if I changed the clock. So instead, I've banned my laptop altogether before bed, bought a bed (I was sleeping on a futon and decided that now we have the space for a bed, it was time to let that thing go), and I sit reading for half an hour before I sleep, with brown/orange tinted sunglasses on, that filter out blue light. The problem is, I've become so paranoid, that worrying about sleep is making it harder to sleep. So I ended up having to try sleeping pills. I only take half the recommended dose, and a quarter of the dose on my first shift back at work, because I've slept at night, so only need a short top-up sleep. I only need the pills when I sleep during the day, and I've ordered a portable daylight simulator for treating SAD, that I'll sit by at work. This will hopefully help to trick my brain into switching time zones. Then I can come off the tablets altogether.

I cant deny, that I feel much more alert and my memory seems a bit sharper, when I've been sleeping properly. I'm dreaming more, which is a good sign I think!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

I have never had a problem sleeping,in fact I can drop off pretty easy. The other half of this is I had a really BAD habit of going days(sometimes as much as a week) without sleep on purpose. Mainly this happened when I was on kinda a mental "Run",wrapped up in some "Quest". Also there were at times drugs involved as well.

Not to diminish others sleep problems. For some people I worked with it was caused by lack of the ability to let go of things at work. For me,when the quitting bell rang,work did NOT exist. I think some people get way to wrapped up in their work time and can't find a way to just let work be just that,work and not a prime theme to their lives.

As always the IMF will disavow any connection if I don't just STFU and take a nap....
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Dr. Agatston (the guy who writes South Beach Diet) says you need at least 8 hours of sleep to recharge. That we were built to take naps during the day. I sometimes have to take sleeping pills to get sleep, because my sleeping pattern was way off a while back.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Reading is Love | Serenity Hutchinson (Online Resume)

Sleeping pills are not good for health. It is good to avoid using pills. For getting good sleep it is good to eat good quality food and morning exercise is also very important. At dinner we should eat less and sleep after some time.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post
    Nah, they are talking about dietary changes close to bed time--for someone used to not spicy, it can upset the GI system. Same with fried foods, tomatoes, etc. Good way to get heartburn that will wake you up at night.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible