A wish to disappear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A wish to disappear.

Ok peeps asking for info here and if anyone has some first hand experiece that would be great.

so here is the rub life has sucked and the personality i have could be a hundred times better. so i'm currently pulling myself slowly off benifits i've started my own business and hopefully it will kick off. HOWEVER.

If it doesn't (if i end up falling back into the rut), for the past few months i've found myself wanting to take a year or more "out" of my life. you know disappear for a year or more so i know there are several ways to do this and i've done some priliminary reading on them and ill do more in depth when i choose one. and each one has its own pro's and con's

Joining the the french foriegn legion,
    Going "rogue"
    Joining a commune
    Traveling.
    Becoming a gypsy
    Join the church <---- really not gunna happen ever.

So the idea is that if it all goes south again, im gunna take some time out to adjust who i am as a person and to get a new perspective on life. and im planning ahead now so that if the time comes it won't be a half arsed job. so does anyone have any experience or advice?

Re: A wish to disappear.

Well, along the lines of 'joining the church' you could check into local (or not-so-local) Buddhist monasteries.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Perz has a point there,I have considered an ashram from time to time,but it takes dedication and will to live in that type of place.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

You could also live on one of those Israeli artist commune things.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
          Well, along the lines of 'joining the church' you could check into local (or not-so-local) Buddhist monasteries.
          yeaah i kinda don't wanna do anythign overly religious, while ill be expanding and honing my spirituality during the out i dont wanna focus is on just one thing, but ill add it to the list thanks.

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          Perz has a point there,I have considered an ashram from time to time,but it takes dedication and will to live in that type of place.
          Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          You could also live on one of those Israeli artist commune things.

money would kinda be a factor. and the isralie thing would be cool if i could learn krav maga while i was there haha. then again i only really need to pay for the ticket there and back right?

Comment

To be honest, I have no idea. I don't know a ton about it. When I googled it I came up with this: http://www.ivolunteer.org.il/Eng/Ind...CategoryID=131

So it doesn't sound like you need a lot of money. I'd look into it a bit deeper than a quick google search though.

- - - Updated - - -

traveling could also work for you. I know a lot of people who travel a lot on very little money by cycling, hitchhiking, taking trains, camping, and couch surfing. I've dipped my toe into some of those things myself and had a great time.

Comment

You could try an "Eat, Pray, Love" kinda adventure!
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

You might want to ask Vol,she has done some "Walkabout" and may give you some ideas.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                  You might want to ask Vol,she has done some "Walkabout" and may give you some ideas.
                  I could probably write an entire article on "How to travel on the cheap", haha.

My main advice is to keep in mind that running away doesn't solve problems, as much as you might wish it would, and that no matter how long you take off, eventually you have to come back and face your demons. Second piece of advice: if you plan on disappearing, remember there will always be the cost of travel, and the cost of feeding yourself. The best advice I've ever been given was to always keep the cost of returning home in your savings (gas money, a plane ticket home, whatever). It's your security line.

In a number of foreign countries (Asia in particular), it is possible to stay in monasteries for a while, usually by donation, and sometimes by exchange of work/labour. However, you are expected to adhere to the monastic life, and be respectful of the monastic rules.

But yeah, if you need any traveling advice, I've probably got it.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                    I could probably write an entire article on "How to travel on the cheap", haha.

My main advice is to keep in mind that running away doesn't solve problems, as much as you might wish it would, and that no matter how long you take off, eventually you have to come back and face your demons. Second piece of advice: if you plan on disappearing, remember there will always be the cost of travel, and the cost of feeding yourself. The best advice I've ever been given was to always keep the cost of returning home in your savings (gas money, a plane ticket home, whatever). It's your security line.

In a number of foreign countries (Asia in particular), it is possible to stay in monasteries for a while, usually by donation, and sometimes by exchange of work/labour. However, you are expected to adhere to the monastic life, and be respectful of the monastic rules.

But yeah, if you need any traveling advice, I've probably got it.
                    It doesn't have be runnning away. He can visit a place where he will establish a new goal to his life, new principles, etc', and come back. Such journeys can be very helpful.
                    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Traveling sounds like a great option. My dad and cousin both traveled to different countries. I know my dad traveled to France and Italy, can't remember where else. However, it was a good time for him. Also my grandmother traveled to Hungary and Germany. So you might want to consider that option if you have the money.
                      Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I traveled 1200 miles from home for 3 years. It really helped me to get away and just build myself up for a good long time. But after a while I just got homesick. Waaaay too much culture shock. I'm getting to a point where I hate almost everything about this place with a passion! Now I'm hoping to go back home with a fresh perspective. It's good to get away but in the end, there's no place like home. Before that I've done many many road trips, that's sort of my favorite thing to do. (Ask me about my random trip to Nebraska [15 hour drive or so] at 17 sometime, lol!)

Like others have stated, it's good to keep the money on hand with which to go back. I haven't been able to do that so it's going to suck, really. Secondly I'd say plan plan plan! Set budgets for yourself for every little detail - and be realistic, don't be like "Oh it's fine I'll just eat bread and lunchmeat on the way to my destination (if traveling by road or something)" 'cause trust me you'll get tired of that kind of thing and splurge and blow your budget, lol. If you're going by car, find out the gas prices where you're going, calculate and give lots of extra in the budget in case you get way off track by accident. If by plane, make sure to have lots extra saved for your trip home especially since if you want to get home quickly or anything, it's a lot more expensive. Spend lots of time saving up everything you need. If by car, make sure to get your car checked bumper to bumper and repaired all the way (I actually bought a brand new set of mid-grade "all season" tires because my Texas car certainly wasn't prepared for the snow and ice of the frozen north) and look into road side assistance or something like that - the last thing you want is to break down on the road. Also look into places to stay, gas stations, stores, etc. on the way and mark 'em on your map. Always good to know where things are just in case. Get all your paperwork thoroughly and completely in order. Get yourself a travel guide, or do lots and lots of research on where you're going; what the culture's like, what the locals say about it, all that stuff. Always have emergency funds saved up and plan for worst case scenarios just in case (if by car, car breaking down - if by plane, missing your flight and perhaps needing another ticket, or whatever), and emergency supplies; a backpack with a set of clothing, toothbrush, etc. if you feel like stopping at a hotel but you're too exhausted to bring everything in and feel it'd be safe in the car overnight. In my case I bought a bunch of winter survival stuff and packed extra blankets in my car just in case I found myself stranded, because it was winter and whereas Texas would've been fine, well....like I said, I was headed straight to the frozen north. I learned that the best way to get a car out of a snowbank is actually to use kitty litter because it provides enough traction for your tires to grip and tug their way out of the snow, so I put a bag in my car and although I didn't use it on the trip up, wouldn't you know I did have to use it a month or two later and I was glad as hell I'd done my research! Pack some extra cheap quick/canned foods for yourself, protein, crackers, water purification tablets, things like that. Look into all the security regulations if you're flying so you don't accidentally pack a toothpick and get strip searched or some crap, lol (I have no idea what it's like over in the UK but it's ridiculous here!). Oh and here's a big one, if your bank is anything like mine was? Let them know you're about to travel, and that any charges out of your area are going to be JUST YOU. I charged my debit card as I was traveling and my stupid bank thought it had been stolen. I ended up at my destination hotel standing there crying on the phone at like 3am after 24 hours straight of driving, trying to get the bank to unlock my stupid card with just piles of luggage all around me. It suuuuucked.

In short, plan thoroughly and as much ahead of time as possible, prepare for the worst just in case, save up lots of extra money, have an emergency fund, and do LOTS of research about where you're going and everything along the way. Having all your ducks in a row will make your travels smooth sailing. The worst thing you can do is just jump into something not knowing enough about it!

Comment

You could volunteer to help one of those third world countries. Although that would probably require getting involved with a church.
                          What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Comment

Working...
                          X