Jul 2013
    Pronouns
    male
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Phrase
    Rawr

Re: Energy work

If you look at this logically, the first step is shielding the user and the place, second step - meditation or grounding as you say, and the third step- filling the place with energy.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Apr 2013
    Pronouns
    female
    Religion
    If you want to know, ask.
    Phrase
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less travelled by. Now where in Hades am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
    I have to admit to being a little surprised to see Ground as the LAST thing you're supposed to do. To create an effective (and more importantly, stable) Shield, I Ground and Center first.
    I have no idea as to why what I learned is in a different order, but it always worked for me. Maybe it's becuase I'm an air and fire person and draw my energy for the shield from there? And just to make the confusion complete I tend to ground/root in fire or rather magma rather than in pure earth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
    If you look at this logically, the first step is shielding the user and the place, second step - meditation or grounding as you say, and the third step- filling the place with energy.
    If that order of doing it works for you, by all means go ahead. I can see that Vigdisdotter and I do thing in a somewhat different order so if the one you mentioned makes the most sense to you by all means. I think it also depends on where you draw the shield from.

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Neo-Paganism
    Phrase
    I drink, and I know things

Krasskova and Kaldera put grounding and centering together, as you can do them pretty much simultaneously. Shielding come after, I believe because you need to know yourself, and where your energies are before you can draw on them for a shield.

Just my two cents, as I'm reading Neolithic Shamanism​ atm.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

One with the Force ChainLightning's Avatar
    Nov 2005
    Pronouns
    male
    Religion
    Polytheist with Pan-/Panen- tendencies.
    Phrase
    In the darkest recesses of your twisted mind, a G-rated version of me resides.

I've seen and heard the range. I've even heard at least one person claim that grounding and centering actually WAS shielding and that doing a mix of the three was immensely redundant.

After reading texts that contradict each other, I stick with 'do what works for YOU' and don't let someone from a different viewpoint tell you how to believe.

Basically: If it works for me, it must be right. But not necessarily right for anyone BUT me. I just love it when it comes to the 'correct order of things', though. That's when everyone else knows the correct order is their own personal belief, so we should believe it, too. That tickles me.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Feb 2014
    Pronouns
    female
    Religion
    open and exploring.

I am fairly new at it as well. I don't know exactly how to answer your question, but I can tell you what I have learned to do, through trial and error, that works the best for me. I start either standing or siting in lotus, close my eyes, and let go of all my thoughts. It helps to envision them floating away like little birds or paper airplanes. When my mind is clear I access my center. I feel it and look it over and spend a few minutes there. I feel it for negativity and let the negativity flow out of me into a stone (that has been purified, or into the earth if I have no stone. When I have feel empty I pull energy from the earth. I feel more connected to water that land so I tend to reach for water. Also trees. Old, big trees. I want to be full of their wisdom. When I feel rejuvenated and whole, I close off the flow of energy and slowly let my mind back to the conscious. I have come to the point now where I can go between the conscious and sub-conscious quickly and easily. It feels better than any physical high ever could

Jul 2013
    Pronouns
    male
    Religion
    Phrase
    Rawr

Quote Originally Posted by Jillian View Post
    I am fairly new at it as well. I don't know exactly how to answer your question, but I can tell you what I have learned to do, through trial and error, that works the best for me. I start either standing or siting in lotus, close my eyes, and let go of all my thoughts. It helps to envision them floating away like little birds or paper airplanes. When my mind is clear I access my center. I feel it and look it over and spend a few minutes there. I feel it for negativity and let the negativity flow out of me into a stone (that has been purified, or into the earth if I have no stone. When I have feel empty I pull energy from the earth. I feel more connected to water that land so I tend to reach for water. Also trees. Old, big trees. I want to be full of their wisdom. When I feel rejuvenated and whole, I close off the flow of energy and slowly let my mind back to the conscious. I have come to the point now where I can go between the conscious and sub-conscious quickly and easily. It feels better than any physical high ever could
    Thanks
    From what you are saying, I can make a special centre within myself and take different powers nature from different resources, like trees, wind, water and so on. Very interesting.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Feb 2014
    Pronouns
    female
    Religion
    open and exploring.

Yes! Use what you feel the most connected to. For me its water. Big bodies of water. For some people its the sky, others the ground. Go with what you flow with, so that you aren't struggling to stay focused or complete the task.

- - - Updated - - -

For me, grounding comes second. Find your center first, ground it to the earth, then you can work on creating a shield.

Jul 2013
    Pronouns
    male
    Religion
    Phrase
    Rawr

Quote Originally Posted by Jillian View Post
    Yes! Use what you feel the most connected to. For me its water. Big bodies of water. For some people its the sky, others the ground. Go with what you flow with, so that you aren't struggling to stay focused or complete the task.

- - - Updated - - -

For me, grounding comes second. Find your center first, ground it to the earth, then you can work on creating a shield.
    For some reason, I have a strong pull towards heavy clouds and water.

But there is also a place for earth.
    I don't know how to describe it even, but I'll try. It's like.. um.. sitting / standing (depends on what I am going to do) near the top of a waterfall (combination of earth and water).

Jul 2013
    Pronouns
    male
    Religion
    Phrase
    Rawr

When I think about it, I wonder what happens after making a huge amount of energy at once. One of the options is being totally exhausted.
    I hope it doesn't go beyond that.

Jul 2013
    Pronouns
    male
    Religion
    Phrase
    Rawr

I know that there are different kinds of energy. Mine is used more for healing and is warm. Is there cold energy? Something that is opposite to the one I use.