Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Paganism ever been completely absent from Western society?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Paganism ever been completely absent from Western society?

Was paganism ever completely absent from the Christianised west over the past few centuries?

Re: Has Paganism ever been completely absent from Western society?

I'd say yes and no. Yes in that formal religious structure and shrines / temples were done away with and outlawed. No in that many aspects passed into folk practices and lost much of the religious connections yet retained some of the spirit of it. As such the traditions continued somewhat but resembled little to what was previous.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Precisely what I was going to say. I'll give you reputation for that as soon as I remember where the button is...

Comment

Originally posted by Nymeria View Post
        Was paganism ever completely absent from the Christianised west over the past few centuries?
        Can you say Easter eggs, honeymoons in June, jack-o-lanterns and Christmas trees?
        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
        Tribe of my Tribe
        Clan of my Clan
        Kin of my Kin
        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Nymeria View Post
          Not since they turned the Celtic Goddess Bridgid into St. Brigid (I know that was Catholic as opposed to "Christian", but the beliefs and end result are the same).

Originally posted by Chessa View Post
          ... I'll give you reputation for that as soon as I remember where the button is...
          It's just to the right of "Promote to Article | ". If you are using the "Mint" color scheme, it's hard to see.

Comment

Not really no.

when you live in a country dominated by massive pagan structures, when the land around you is marked by our ancestors, and their burial mounds are more common than churches,, its hard to forget or ignore your pagan past.

Comment

I'd say it's very unlikely. Even in the middle ages through the renaissance I'd say it's very likely that there were people passing down and upholding the ancient traditions (in a secretive manner of course). I'm not saying some conspiracy theory or some such, but a more general, teaching their children that their family quietly holds beliefs different than most of society. I would imagine that at least a few such threads ran through Europe all throughout history.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I agree with monsno as well.
                Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

...really, it depends on what one means by "completely absent"

No practitioners? No practices? No hybrid cross-over? All of the above?

...and even then, what are we considering "Western society"?
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Im gunna say no, strictly because you say completly absent. to me that would mean no myth's no legends, no records. as well as no ractitioning and the rest. so no it was never completly absent. just... outlawed? yeah i think hat would be the best way to describe it.

Comment

Working...
                    X