Necropants and the Icelandic Museum of Sorcery & Witchcraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Necropants and the Icelandic Museum of Sorcery & Witchcraft

I would like to visit this museum. It seems like a very worthwhile site to see: the Icelandic Museum of Sorcery & Witchcraft

But this necropants things... I... have no words for this. Icelandic witches be trippin'.

Necropants

(In case you don't want to see the photo of the Amazing Icelandic Necropants, the article describes what is, at its heart, a money-drawing ritual involving wearing the legs and scrotum of a deceased man as pants. A man who willingly willed you the skin of his lower body in the event of his death. And then you steal a coin from a poor widow and tuck it away in that handy pocket... and wear them forevever. And if you decide to give up your witching ways so you can get into Heaven, you have to give them away to someone who will put them on as you are taking them off. It's a lovely ritual, really, packed full of cooperation, the gifts of friendship, petty thievery and pants).

(Edited to add... somehow, my signature seems really, really apropos right now )
    Last edited by Ophidia; 22 Oct 2013, 11:45. Reason: OMGs!
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Re: Necropants and the Icelandic Museum of Sorcery & Witchcraft

I just sent this to a buddy and asked if he was usin' his legs right now...
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

That's... um.... neat... >.>

Comment

WoW. I'd like to see this Museum!! This would seriously be neat!!! But then this is no surprise, I LOVE "different" museums Going to go see the Museum of Medieval Torture Devices (mittelalterliches Kriminalmuseum) in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany next year!! Really looking forward to it!
        (I gotta say the pants...ummmmm, weellllllll...Yup they be trippin' hahaha >_>) But for real...I just read about these Necropants. And the first thing that comes to my mind is "Wouldn't they smell after a while?!?! Or ... actually ... right away" I mean after all, we are talking about "decomposing" skin here... O_o
        ...And further more how would that feel...Like Pantyhose?! O_o
        <-- is clearly putting too much thought into this

- - - Updated - - -

Oh to add to the "Torture Museum" I think it's very interesting that they include how the witch hunts were "performed" in a large area of Germany. Trials, death penalty, torture, what branded you as a witch etc.
        Last edited by Guest; 23 Oct 2013, 03:03.

Comment

Re: Necropants and the Icelandic Museum of Sorcery &amp; Witchcraft

You must take me to these places when I visit Lil!
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

It seems to be a very nice place! Thanks for sharing!
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

The title of this thread sounds like some kind of bizarre, possibly X-rated Harry Potter spinoff.

Comment

That's enough learning for today :I

Seriously though, Lil has a good point. There is definitely some tanning and basic leather working to be done else you wish to be squelching around in blood and rot and that money spell would have to work REALLY REALLY REALLY well for me to want to be doing that :b

Comment

Is that what you've gotta do to make some cash around here?! I think I'll stick to my lemonade stand revenue, thanksverymuch.

Going to go see the Museum of Medieval Torture Devices (mittelalterliches Kriminalmuseum) in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany next year!!... Oh to add to the "Torture Museum" I think it's very interesting that they include how the witch hunts were "performed" in a large area of Germany. Trials, death penalty, torture, what branded you as a witch etc.
                  That sounds really interesting, Lil. I wanna go too! :bounce:

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                    The title of this thread sounds like some kind of bizarre, possibly X-rated Harry Potter spinoff.
                    I guess I could have titled it The Brotherhood of the Traveling Necropants but the Necropants haven't left Iceland that I know of.
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
                    X