What are you going to do for Samhain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you going to do for Samhain?

Didn't see a thread for this one so I thought I'd ask, what are you going to do for Samhain or Halloween? What practices or rituals will you perform if any and why?
    Also a little history on one of the eight Wiccan holy days, as I like to think of them, Samhain is that special time of the year when the veil between the spirit world and our world is thinnest. So communication with the dead and dearly departed becomes easier making it the best time of the year for divinitations and honoring one's ancestor's and heritage. Which is why they also call it Dia de los Muertos in Mexico which translates to Day of the Dead and family members would place offerings of food and wine to the graves of those passed.
    The word Samhain is from the Gaelic word for Samhuin and is pronounced SOW-en, though personally I've just been calling is SAM-HAIN but I guess that's not right. It marks the end of summer and the beginning of the Celtic New Year.
    Farmers would gather up the harvest crop, prepare for the coming winter, and would slaughter the weak animals of their herd to spare them the harsh winter, tt's a time to be thankful for the Harvest.
    If there's anything I've left out please add on or correct me I'm still pretty new to Wicca and I'm really looking forward to know how other people celebrate Samhain/Halloween!
    A witch is a woman who knows what she wants and is not afraid to work to achieve it. She has strong beliefs and the power to go through with her wishes. She has the power to turn thought into action. She's a strong, hardworking and intelligent woman.
    Call me a witch and I will thank you for the compliment.

Re: What are you going to do for Samhain?

Thinking of turning on the porch light and handing out candy to kids and people who see the light on, and are therefore seeking candy. Might get some smarties, Aero bars, if I'm daring some pop. But parents round here think that pop is drugged.

Then at night, if I'm feeling particularly edgy. I may poor a glass of whiskey and watch old game shows, they are always the funniest.

Then when its real late, I might sleep.

Okay okay okay. To be quite honest I'll probably just do a prayer/honor ritual for the spirits. I'm not too big on holidays.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

We're probably gunna be handing out candy to small children and I'll be dressing up most likely. Not 100% sure what as yet though, but we'll see.

I'm also considering walking or driving down to the beach and lighting a candle and some incense for my mother.
      Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
      Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
      sigpic

Comment

I plan to hand out candy to children and meditate some. I love Samhain. It's my favorite holiday!
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Worship the Dark Lord and give him any wandering lost soul I should find on the street.
          Duh.

*watch scary movies and say Hail Satan all day just to f with people.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Play some WoW, maybe watch an episode or two of Game of Thrones. Finish off the rest of my Full Sail Oktoberfest beer.
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I'm having a small get together with friends and family. We're going to do a short ritual and then a dinner after, in honor of the holiday.

I live in a very rural area and at the end of a reeeeaaaaallllly long driveway so we don't get ay trick or treaters.

Comment

Probably nothing.

Mostly art.

Comment

Yeah WoW, kill the Headless Horseman and get candy I miss my little Sinister Squashling.

- - - Updated - - -

I myself will probably dress up for Halloween even though we don't get very many Trick or Treaters just because I wanna and eat a bowl full of candy by myself, a bottle of Bailey's would be nice too but I'll have to go back to school the next day so that rules that out. Then I'm going to leave some food out on the front porch with a candle in honor of my ancestor's and grand-aunt who passed away not to long ago.
                  Also I'm going to carve pumpkins because I love the feel of its orange squishy guts.
                  A witch is a woman who knows what she wants and is not afraid to work to achieve it. She has strong beliefs and the power to go through with her wishes. She has the power to turn thought into action. She's a strong, hardworking and intelligent woman.
                  Call me a witch and I will thank you for the compliment.

Comment

On Samhain, I plan to make my first offerings to my Akhu. Two years as a Kemetic and I haven't started yet. Oops. D:
                    Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

take the kids trick or treating and wait for friday to do anything else...
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Stare at the Moon, provided the weather allows for it. It's gonna be a very small crescent that night. Lol, but I'm hopefully going to take my stepbrother ToT-ing.

I would like to do something to like, err, see if Wiccan practices might be for me or just have a bit of a spiritual experience. I don't want to be dumb about it though because I understand that these types of forces have to be respected, so I might not do anything like that (except the Moon part) considering I would be new to it. Can anyone advise me on this?

Comment

Every time I see "Samhain" I think of "Sam Hall"

DAMN YOUR EYES!!!
                          "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Tomorrow I am going to take a walk around the graveyard. It is about a half an hour from my house. I usually go there every year, in the afternoon and take pictures. The place is suppose to be haunted. For some reason walking around there makes me feel peaceful and calm. Planning to give out candy to the trick or treaters. I will be honoring my deities, lighting candles and leaving them offerings. I also plan to give offerings to the nature spirits. Might do a small ritual. A few days before I am carving two pumpkins to put on the front lawn. I have been watching horror movies all month long. Ghost Adventures is having a Halloween special at 9pm so I plan to watch. Have a wonderful and safe Samhain everyone.
                            -Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

Comment

Working...
                            X