Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiting for Divine or Supernatural Intervention

Greetings!

I'm curious to know what you guys think about leaving your decisions or your complete path in life in the hands of the divine or supernatural.

Let me explain a little bit:

I've been talking to some people recently and I've found that, in almost all cases, they've made the decision as to leave all their current situations, good or bad, in the hands of the divine (or each personal individual god). One of them even told me that she wasn't gonna do anything else regarding her marriage unless god intervened in some way to let her know if it was OK to stay with her husband or not. Mind you, her husband is an abusive person and they fight almost every day (from her statements) and they haven't been able to work things out for like 3 years. She started going to church recently and decided to leave everything in "god's hands".

I, for one, think that I must do everything in my power to make my situations better and only when I feel like there's nothing I can do, I let the Universe take its course however it may. I do ask for guidance and for signs of some sort but that doesn't mean that I just sit back and wait for anything to happen. This is just my opinion. I'd like to read yours.

Thanx!
    :^^: My Spiritual Journey blog: An Eclectic Wonderland :^^:

Re: Waiting for Divine or Supernatural Intervention

I have the same view on life as you Wonderland. I have been in one too many bad situations in my life and the only reason I got out of them was because I made the choice to do so. I feel that the faith and beliefs I have helped me to be strong to get out of those situations. I certainly don't think a God or Goddess is going to come swooping down to rescue me. Sure there are times where I look towards deities for guidance but I also know that my life is in my own hands and I need to do what I can to have a good life by being strong and taking care of myself.

Comment

I'm entirely of the opinion that the gods help those who help themselves. Putting every little thing in the hands of the gods is...well....for a lack of better phrasing...in my opinion completely disrespectful. They aren't there to hold your hand through everything and be a parent making every little decision for you like you're a 2 year old. Yes, it's okay to ask them for advice every now and then, or ask for a sign, or even asking for help-but to rely entirely upon them for every little thing is just wrong. In my opinion they realize that at certain points in our lives (just like our own parents do) that even though compared to theirs we're each gone in a blink, we're still old enough to make our own choices and paths that lead us to where we need or want to go.

But...if you do really need their help and you have to ask for it, you still need to remember that there's only so much that they can do in situations (good or bad) to help you if you don't go out of your way to present the opportunity/opening for them to do so. I've used this joke on another thread, but it still applies here as a better way to help illustrate this...

"A blonde woman named Brandi finds herself in dire trouble. Her business has gone bust and she's in serious financial trouble. She's so desperate that she decides to ask God for help.

She begins to pray... "God, please help me. I've lost my business and if I don't get some money, I'm going to lose my house as well. Please let me win the lotto."

Lotto night comes and somebody else wins it. Brandi again prays..."God, please let me win the lotto! I've lost my business, my house and I'm going to lose my car as well."

Lotto night comes and Brandi still has no luck. Once again, she prays... "My God, why have you forsaken me?? I've lost my business, my house, and my car. My children are starving. I don't often ask you for help and I have always been a good servant to you. PLEASE just let me win the lotto this one time so I can get my life back in order."

Suddenly there is a blinding flash of light as the heavens open and Brandi is confronted by the voice of God Himself... "Brandi, meet me half way on this...you have to buy a ticket."
      Though, in her situation....I would say period to get the fuck out. There is ZERO excuse to stay with an abusive piece of shit spouse, no matter how much you love and care for them. This goes for men and women, straight relationships, gay/lesbian ones, or transgender. God(s) don't have anything to do with it.
      Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
      Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
      sigpic

Comment

Thank you for your replies!

Excellent joke/story Yorin. I will use it when I talk to my friend again.
        :^^: My Spiritual Journey blog: An Eclectic Wonderland :^^:

Comment

I like faith, it can be a very positive thing. Depending on how it's expressed, I don't even have a profound objection of the premise of "surrender to a higher power". I do have a problem with refusing to think or act until the aforementioned higher power comes down personally and gives explicit marching orders. Humanity is provided with brains (er, maybe I'm being overly generous, so I'll settle for the illusion of brains) and agency. There is an expectation that those assets will be used. Otherwise, shrug, Yorin's joke applies or the variation of it that I'm more familiar with would be

A fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"

To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Well that just seems lazy.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Yeah, I'm for the hands-on approach as well, especially when it comes to things like health and well-being. The Gods work best through us.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

For me the gods / goddesses I am bound and sworn to want me to dedicate and follow them yet they do not want blind followers either. A blind follower is pretty much useless and becomes an anchor vice an asset I think. Figure if you can't or wont try to do for yourself how can you try to do for them.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I believe that Bast (and maybe other Netjeru) do have a direct hand in my life. In particular, They've guided me into a new career and have intervened in my life in other ways. But I don't often find myself waiting for divine intervention. Even if the Netjeru are shaping my life in a particular way, I am ultimately responsible for myself. Bast especially has made it clear that I have to do the legwork myself. Nothing handed on a silver platter. A carrot dangled in front of my face, maybe.

My usual approach is do what I can, then deal with whatever comes up. If it's something Bast or some other Netjer really frowns upon, They'll step in. And that doesn't mean I have to agree with it, either. I have the right to put my foot down, to say no, to do what I want. I also have the right to deal with the consequence of doing so.
                  Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

This is a debate, and I was merely commenting.
                    Last edited by nbdy; 30 Oct 2013, 04:40. Reason: This is a debate, and I was merely commenting.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

I think what confuses people is to seat back and relax waiting for things to happen by them selves, this is very rear and gods if they are to help you, they just help you to make good choices, that kind of guidance can be common but it happens in that manner you may not suspect.
                      No sig for you.

Comment

Just from my personal experience, when we are not strong enough to make the right choice for ourselves, the Divine will intervene, but it won't be pleasant!

I literally had someone ripped out of my life because I wasn't strong enough to walk away from a relationship that I knew was bad for me. I feel like the God and Goddess knew that I wasn't going to leave unless I was forced out of the relationship. Guess what. That's exactly what happened. And it was so painful. More painful that I could ever imagine and more painful that if I would've walked away on my own.

I got the point though. We have to be in control of ourselves, our thoughts, and our actions instead of expecting someone else to take care of everything for us. We can ask for help, but ultimately, where we end up in life is the result of our own actions and decisions. And if we can't choose for ourselves, we risk making things worse.

Comment

Pretty much what someone else said

"God helps those who help themselves"

I was always told to try and fix things in the mundane before you ask for any help from the gods. Makes sense to me!
                          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                          Seen the desert and the birds
                          You cut your hair short
                          Like a shush to an insult
                          The world had been yelling
                          Since the day you were born
                          Revolting with anger
                          While it smiled like it was cute
                          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I agree with you, I would rather do all the hard mundane work until I run out of answers, then see where the divine can lead me.

Comment

My grandpa is a Pentecostal preacher and he told me this story years ago.

There was a flood coming and everyone knew about it. Many people chose to leave but one man remained. As the last villagers began to leave they looked at the man and said, "Come with us and we'll all be safe." The man replied, "No, God will save me." The villagers left the man.

The waters began to rise up to the man's waist and a camel passed by. The camel said to the man, "Jump on my back, and I will take you to safety." The man replied to the camel, "No, God will save me." The came moved on.

The waters flooded the man's home so he sat on his roof. While he was on his roof a thick log passed by. The log was big enough for the man to use to carry him to dry land, but he said to himself, "No, God will save me." It wasn't much longer before the flood waters took the man's life.

In Heaven the man sat before God and said, "God why did you not save me? Why did you let the waters destroy my home and take my life?" God answered, "I sent you the villagers, I sent you the camel and I sent you the log my son."

This story pretty much sums up my ideas about the divine in respects to helping mortals. You can't expect a god or ancestor to just throw everything at you in grand ways. It'd be like spoiling a child. We have to work for what we want, and ask the gods to give us the strength to complete the task instead of completing it for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X